News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"YOU'RE FIRED!"

Started by Solomon Zorn, November 09, 2016, 02:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

Hillary is done. Who do the Democrats look to next?
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Blackleaf

Maybe Michelle Obama?

EDIT: Nah. She'll be sick of politics for a while.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Nonsensei

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 09, 2016, 02:25:54 PM
Maybe Michelle Obama?

If a white woman cant make it a black woman will be even less likely.

The dems will be looking for a white man next time around. Probably one with a strong case of mouth diarrhea and an ego the size of Brooklyn. if you can't beat em, join em.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 09, 2016, 02:25:54 PM
Maybe Michelle Obama?

Love her to death, but I don't know if she is ready for the Presidency.

EDIT: She would make a good senator, maybe...

Solomon Zorn

I think a white man is probably more pragmatic, than a woman or minority, next time around. Only because, if this election proved anything, it's that there are still a lot of white men who vote.

Jason Harvestdancer

This is the fault of the Democratic Party.  They are to blame for Trump.  They've got work to do to fix their mistake.  Here's why.

There are times when it is wise to put forward a weak candidate, such as when you know you'll lose to a strong incumbent.  Think Mondale in '84 or Dole in '96.  Reagan was going to win reelection, Clinton was going to win reelection.  The objective then is to put forth someone credible enough to run, but someone you're willing to waste on a hopeless campaign.  You have to run someone or the 3rd parties will grow and that's the worst case situation.

There are times to run a strong candidate, such as when you know the incumbent is weak or that the race is wide open.  Weak incumbents are like Carter in '80 or Bush in '92.  Wide open include '88, '08, and '16.

In 2004 the Democrats screwed the pooch.  They should have run a Reagan/Clinton, instead they ran a Mondale/Dole.  That's why we had 8 years of Bush Jr instead of 4.

'16 was wide open, which means you run a strong candidate.  Instead you ran Hillary.  She was not good, she was not strong, she had massive negatives.  You did have a good candidate, his name was Bernie.  You let Hillary conspire with Wasserman to steal the primary from him.

Had you run Bernie, Trump would have been creamed.  You let the party machinery mis-read the angry mood of the voters, ran a status-quo candidate, and lost to an anti-establishment candidate.

You picked a Mondale/Dole AGAIN when you should have picked a strong candidate.  This was the time to pick a strong candidate.  This is an even worse replay of '04 when you should have picked a Reagan/Clinton and instead picked a Mondale/Dole.

But if you continue to blame race or gender, you'll never fix the problems that made you lose to a Trump.  It wasn't that Hillary is a woman.  It was that Hillary was a bad candidate.  Try picking winners if you want to win.  We have Trump because the Democrats made it possible.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Solomon Zorn

I tend to agree, Jason. I don't know that Bernie could have won, either though. The Republican propaganda machine is so well entrenched.

But I want to see what ideas you guys have for a new candidate.

Nonsensei

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on November 09, 2016, 02:44:19 PM
This is the fault of the Democratic Party.  They are to blame for Trump.  They've got work to do to fix their mistake.  Here's why.

There are times when it is wise to put forward a weak candidate, such as when you know you'll lose to a strong incumbent.  Think Mondale in '84 or Dole in '96.  Reagan was going to win reelection, Clinton was going to win reelection.  The objective then is to put forth someone credible enough to run, but someone you're willing to waste on a hopeless campaign.  You have to run someone or the 3rd parties will grow and that's the worst case situation.

There are times to run a strong candidate, such as when you know the incumbent is weak or that the race is wide open.  Weak incumbents are like Carter in '80 or Bush in '92.  Wide open include '88, '08, and '16.

In 2004 the Democrats screwed the pooch.  They should have run a Reagan/Clinton, instead they ran a Mondale/Dole.  That's why we had 8 years of Bush Jr instead of 4.

'16 was wide open, which means you run a strong candidate.  Instead you ran Hillary.  She was not good, she was not strong, she had massive negatives.  You did have a good candidate, his name was Bernie.  You let Hillary conspire with Wasserman to steal the primary from him.

Had you run Bernie, Trump would have been creamed.  You let the party machinery mis-read the angry mood of the voters, ran a status-quo candidate, and lost to an anti-establishment candidate.

You picked a Mondale/Dole AGAIN when you should have picked a strong candidate.  This was the time to pick a strong candidate.  This is an even worse replay of '04 when you should have picked a Reagan/Clinton and instead picked a Mondale/Dole.

But if you continue to blame race or gender, you'll never fix the problems that made you lose to a Trump.  It wasn't that Hillary is a woman.  It was that Hillary was a bad candidate.  Try picking winners if you want to win.  We have Trump because the Democrats made it possible.

I don't agree that racism and sexism weren't a huge factor in Trumps success. His disparagement of Latinos and muslims gained him a huge following and enormous support. If Hillary Clinton had been a man she would be our next president. It may not be a direct and straightforward involvement, but racism and sexism definitely played a role in this, and considering how close some key states were it may have made all the difference.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 09, 2016, 02:39:19 PM
I think a white man is probably more pragmatic, than a woman or minority, next time around. Only because, if this election proved anything, it's that there are still a lot of white men who vote.

This conversation just went on fb 10 minutes ago:

QuoteJumpty: 'Wait, is this a punishment for voting for a black dude last time?'...another American: 'Yes. Also for gay marriage and the new health care. Too fast of an advancement for the white folk.' Me: You know what? Yes.

Remember Jumpty?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Nonsensei on November 09, 2016, 02:56:29 PM
I don't agree that racism and sexism weren't a huge factor in Trumps success. His disparagement of Latinos and muslims gained him a huge following and enormous support. If Hillary Clinton had been a man she would be our next president. It may not be a direct and straightforward involvement, but racism and sexism definitely played a role in this, and considering how close some key states were it may have made all the difference.

Agreed. This is a good analysis.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Hmmm, I thought this thread was about Trump's apprenticeship starting on Jan. 20th. It will be fun to watch a novice squirm.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 09, 2016, 02:22:54 PM
Hillary is done. Who do the Democrats look to next?
I'm not so confident there will be a 'next.' But maybe the trend will continue of the Republicans making a big mess and then the Dems getting to clean it up, if they can.

It is, though, another first for American democracy - the first president having no experience in either government or the military.

Interesting times, indeed...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 09, 2016, 02:53:46 PM
I tend to agree, Jason. I don't know that Bernie could have won, either though. The Republican propaganda machine is so well entrenched.

Also the scrubbing of legitimate Democratic voters from the rolls, massive media attention on Trump, and the racist factor contributed.

But mostly, the president is the billionaire's choice.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Solomon Zorn

Gold Five:"Stay on target...Stay on target"

This thread has drifted. Still looking for candidates. Biden might have had a good shot this time, I could probably get behind him. But I refuse to believe that in a country of 300,000,000 people, we can't find a few to get excited about.