News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Election Results

Started by SGOS, November 08, 2016, 08:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on November 19, 2016, 03:03:59 PM
It is ... fortunate none of the women I ever hired, got pregnant (they either already had the their last child, or never had children).  It is bad even when employees take sick leave or time off.  Employees exist for the convenience of the employers, not the other way around.  But that is the kind of shitty social contract Americans tolerate.  I would be happy if men got pregnant too, 1/2 of the time ;-)

In a permanent war economy, only young unmarried, un-parenting healthy men are desired ... for the trenches.  The rest of us have no business in the trenches, and are an undesired burden of "mouths to feed".  Not that I think a permanent war is a good thing.

This is why marauding warrior bands are so efficient ... particularly on horse back.  There is nothing unnecessary, just the man, his weapons, the horse he is riding, the rations to feed him (carried on the horse with him) and fodder for his horse (all around him, if you stay on the steppes).  Women, children, agriculturists and city dwellers are ... prey.  They live off the land ... and any prey they find there.
This post gave me cancer.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mermaid on November 19, 2016, 04:05:35 PM
SIR, I AM NOT A POST PERSON! YOU ARE REFUSING TO HELP ME AND I AM GOING TO HANG UP!
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on November 19, 2016, 04:05:35 PM

Oh I think not.  We haven't had that kind of thing in the US since the 19th century Indian wars ... nomad marauders.  But there do seem to be people who want a modern version of that ... and that would never be marriage or parenting friendly.  Fortunately you and I don't live in Syria or Ukraine.

I have appreciated every person I have hired ... those who worked out and those who did not.  I am much less judgmental than you suppose.

In our office now, the drama caused by people's marriages and children are non-stop (most are young adults) ... that is as it must be.  But I can sympathize with a supervisor who is struggling to get things done under those conditions ;-)  Office politics is doing the usual as well.  My drama is my elderly mother ... I try to disrupt the business as little as I can due to that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

There's an easier solution to the electoral college issue than amending the constitution.  And this easier method is already in the constitution.

The constitution says that the House of Representatives shall have no more than one representative per 30,000 people.  Currently they average about 700,000 people per representative.  We could easily double the number of representatives.  Hell, we could increase them by a factor of 10 and not get close to the constitutional limit.  There is nothing in the constitution that fixes the number at 435.

If we increase the number of reps, then by default we increase the number of electors.  That will flatten the disparity of people per elector that currently exists.

And that is before we get to the other benefits of this proposal.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Hydra009

That sounds good, but I'm against any plan that involves increasing the size of Congress.  We have enough nutbars in DC as it is.

Baruch

No problem, have an AI program represent you ... party of Seri or party of Cortana.  An AI can't do any worse job than your human does presently ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 20, 2016, 06:52:11 PM
That sounds good, but I'm against any plan that involves increasing the size of Congress.  We have enough nutbars in DC as it is.

It would dilute the power of each individual nutbar though.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on November 20, 2016, 09:30:12 PM

You forget the committee organization of Congress.  9 rings of gold for the kings of men etc ... and one ring of power to rule them all.  You can't do anything as a Congress-critter without the OK of your committee boss.  So actually most nutbars don't matter ... only the chairmen nutbars matter.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on November 20, 2016, 09:30:12 PM

Lets cut it to 1 Senator per state and 1 Representaive for every million registered voters. 

Cutting the House from population to registered voters might really change things...  THAT would get the parties more actively seeking voters.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!