News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What Do You Believe In?

Started by SGOS, November 06, 2016, 04:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on November 06, 2016, 07:14:55 PM
Belief is more the sustained dream like qualities we develop as kids that carries on into adulthood. It usually goes believing, to wanting to believe, to questioning said belief, then just no longer. Fantasies replaced by reason and logic.

That's the way it worked for me.

However, in the fantasy aspect, that will often be the outcome, where as there are still things you can hope for happening, based on chance, well within the realms of possibility. Believing god will stick his finger down on you is what a lot of christians believe will happen, which has no basis for reality, but if you believe something good will come naturally, like doctors curing your moms cancer, or all your work put into study giving you that high grade, then having hope that these things will happen based on hard work and development, then theres no reason we should just be cynical to everything.

I had renal cell carcinoma years ago, and I believed there would be a good chance to beat it (it's a bad one), but I had a very early detection based on a accidental discovery (a fluke, which some people identified as a miracle, to which I just roll my eyes).  It was good to believe that I would beat it, and cynicism would have been uncalled for, but the prognosis was good.  OH, I was afraid of that one little cancer cell that could have gotten out and ended the show, but I was also told they thought they would get it all.  I was also prepared to accept what could have been ultimately out of my control, so my belief was an assurance, but not a guarantee.  It was not the same as absolute knowledge of a god.

I believe there is life out in the universe, perhaps not like our own or any species on our planet, but theres bound to be other life out there, if it can even look to the stars itself is another matter, I base this upon the huge varied species on our own planet, and on the origins of how that came to be, making the chance of other planets having environments that coul support other life possible.

I have that belief, but it's a close kin to what I'd call more like a very good bet.

aitm

I suggest to anyone who listens…is that you attempt to write your "beliefs" down as if to your kids, as some of you don't have any, and you will find an absolutely amazing side effect. Every time you state a "fact" you find your self going back to research what you said to see if you are right. What a grand journey I had. I started writing to my daughter nearly 30 years ago, and spent almost 15 years in research. Now, have no doubt I did not go so far into such as micro biology or nuclear dynamics or such, but I dove into far more than I ever thought of. Did you know that some armadillos can postpone gestation for 5 years? Ever realize how fucked up cultures are where women actually are hoping for a male child simply because the culture demands it, and then even as mothers brutalize their daughter in law because she conceives a daughter? That's fucked up. Did you know many native american cultures enjoyed homosexual behavior and some even forced it on others? How about Alaskan tribes where kidnap and rape, ala the vikings was an accepted way of "marriage"? Cultures where parents would masterbate their children to show them how? Odd eh. Cultures where boys had to physically beat up their father in order to be considered a man?

Ever read about how cadavers were secretly bought by the top physicians of the day because the church would not allow it? Good stuff. How the Chinese at one time had the largest armada in the history of the world….in wood ships….but destroyed them because at one time they sailed all over the world giving gold and stones away as a way of showing how awesome they were, and finally realized they could not afford that? Duh. One thing leads to another and soon you are on a glorious journey into finding out if your 'beliefs" are real, make-believe or simply….not complete. Try it. Simply write one paragraph to your "child" but make sure it is factually correct….go on……make sure you are correct. Have fun.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

GSOgymrat

So your not Catholic," confirms the nun.  "Jewish then?"; "Nope.":  "Protestant?" ; "Ahh, nope.";  Then with a befuddled look of concern, she asks, "Muslim?"; "Nope."; "Well what do you believe in then?"

Me: I believe you ask a lot of questions.

doorknob

"I believe in America. "

Obscure reference I'd be shocked if some one knew where this quote comes from. But I just couldn't resist.

Baruch

I know America.  What I don't believe in is the American Dream.

There are lots of politicians in cheap suits who have said "I believe in America".  While taking candy from babies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: doorknob on November 06, 2016, 06:56:39 PM
I love Dexter and yes while watching this whole season I was curious as to where it was going.

For what it's worth, the actor who played mentor to the deranged Christian psychotic also played a small but rather effective role in Blade Runner from the 1980s.  He was Gaff, the police detective who always wore a long black cloak and managed to show up now and then after all the danger was past, leaving behind little figures made out of matchbooks.  I was always intrigued by that character.  As unessential as he was to the business at hand, Blade Runner was a bit better with him shadowing Rick Dekard around without actually getting involved in any of the work.

Sal1981

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 06, 2016, 09:09:43 PM
So your not Catholic," confirms the nun.  "Jewish then?"; "Nope.":  "Protestant?" ; "Ahh, nope.";  Then with a befuddled look of concern, she asks, "Muslim?"; "Nope."; "Well what do you believe in then?"

Me: I believe you ask a lot of questions.
Turn it around, I like it.

I'm like OP, when asked what I believe in, I would rather dodge the question, than give an outright "I'm an atheist". Not because I feel insecure about it, but because it's such a small part of who I am, but I've experienced way too often that it is viewed as a defining and all-encompassing trait. It's not. It's just a single statement. Ask my life philosophy. Hell, ask me what football team I prefer and that answer would be more fulfilling than the atheist label, even though I don't follow any football club.

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 07, 2016, 08:09:23 AM

I'm like OP, when asked what I believe in, I would rather dodge the question, than give an outright "I'm an atheist". Not because I feel insecure about it, but because it's such a small part of who I am, but I've experienced way too often that it is viewed as a defining and all-encompassing trait. It's not. It's just a single statement. Ask my life philosophy. Hell, ask me what football team I prefer and that answer would be more fulfilling than the atheist label, even though I don't follow any football club.

They capture that in the scene.  As the nun keeps asking, her eyes get wider and wider as the shear horror of what is unfolding begins to dawn on her.  She does regain her composure as one would in real life, but the point is made about the effect not believing has on people.  It creates an underlying identity of the new person, that hangs there, like a itch in a place you don't want to scratch in public.

widdershins

This sentence is a lie...

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 07, 2016, 08:09:23 AM

In the scenerio presented and by inquiring about the football team it appears the purpose iof the inquiry is to determine if the person is a member of a tribe. Are you us or them?

Sal1981

Sal1981

Quote from: Jack89 on November 07, 2016, 02:58:31 PM
That is the correct answer.
It isn't so much us vs them, it's that them is an artificial separation from us.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 07, 2016, 03:06:18 PM
It isn't so much us vs them, it's that them is an artificial separation from us.

I will accept any form of separation, even imaginary.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jack89

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 07, 2016, 03:06:18 PM
I agree.  Kinda like what happens with identity politics.