News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What Do You Believe In?

Started by SGOS, November 06, 2016, 04:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 02, 2016, 07:34:55 PM
The laugh on you??? I find myself laughing with you quite often.

It's OK to laugh at me too ... I am shameless.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

reasonist

Quote from: Cavebear on November 28, 2016, 01:58:34 AM
So they say well, you "believe" in love.  No.  Love is strictly an emotional attachment.  Very powerful and important to be sure, but not a belief.

One doesn't exclude the other. Unless you are a cynic.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on December 06, 2016, 09:16:47 AM
One doesn't exclude the other. Unless you are a cynic.

Belief vs feeling?  Good question.  I think for women, their consciousness is usually more integrated, their EQ and IQ are overlapping.  For men, our consciousness is less integrated, our EQ and IQ are not overlapping, assuming we even have an EQ ;-)  The gender/sex dichotomy I think is important here, and most of our posters are men.  So not necessarily a cynic, if one excludes the other, just male.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

reasonist

Quote from: Baruch on December 06, 2016, 01:15:09 PM
Belief vs feeling?  Good question.  I think for women, their consciousness is usually more integrated, their EQ and IQ are overlapping.  For men, our consciousness is less integrated, our EQ and IQ are not overlapping, assuming we even have an EQ ;-)  The gender/sex dichotomy I think is important here, and most of our posters are men.  So not necessarily a cynic, if one excludes the other, just male.

I think we all have both, IQ and EQ. For some the EQ is more suppressed than in others. Many mammals have a high EQ. The difference between the sexes is in my opinion the balance between them. If male means chauvinism, I don't agree. Otherwise, why not believe in love? Despite maybe being hurt and disappointed ourselves, we see love in action all around us. It's a different believe than I believe in gravity, but believing in the intrinsic good in all of us is a prerequisite for a positive outlook in life.
At the other end of the sausage is the cynic who generalizes and hates people in general until he gets to know individuals. It's the presumption of wickedness until proven benign, that makes so many folks miserable. And no, they don't believe in love.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Baruch

Well, there is that positive or negative outlook hanging over things.  My experience is realist, so that is where I am coming from.  I don't accept positive or negative idealism (optimism or pessimism).

Love?  Confusing word in English.  Greek is better ... eros, philos or agape?  I agree with love, if you mean agape.  Agape means love of the common good.  But for most people love is eros or philos aka sexual love or "just friends".  This has a second axis ... self love and love of others.  Agape would be both love of self and love of others, in the context of love of the common good.  Eros and philos are have a third axis .. masturbation vs frolletage .. being your own friend vs being a friend to others ... because love of X can be hate for Y ... love and hate not being opposites ... just that that kind of love can be positive or negative.  I can't see how agape can have that third axis, maybe neutral along that third axis?  The NT uses both philos and agape, never eros.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Trump's proposed cabinet members?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 02, 2016, 06:34:21 PM
Is the laugh on me, or on the reader?  In English, the negative of a negative is a positive.  But in other languages, the negative of a negative is a super-negative.  People are unconscious all the time, of how their own language controls what they can or cannot think.

I seriously do not, DO NOT, agree with you that double negatives in English always make a positive. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: reasonist on December 06, 2016, 05:17:12 PM
I think we all have both, IQ and EQ. For some the EQ is more suppressed than in others. Many mammals have a high EQ. The difference between the sexes is in my opinion the balance between them. If male means chauvinism, I don't agree. Otherwise, why not believe in love? Despite maybe being hurt and disappointed ourselves, we see love in action all around us. It's a different believe than I believe in gravity, but believing in the intrinsic good in all of us is a prerequisite for a positive outlook in life.
At the other end of the sausage is the cynic who generalizes and hates people in general until he gets to know individuals. It's the presumption of wickedness until proven benign, that makes so many folks miserable. And no, they don't believe in love.

One of the things (among many) that dissuade me from religious beliefs is the presumption of wickedness, leading to guilt, leading to a need to repent normal human actions.

A second is that there is a deity who exists, of course...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!