News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Opportunity to help other atheists

Started by domkzyl, November 04, 2016, 11:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

domkzyl

Hi. I hope I am not breaking any forum rules by posting here.

My name is Dominika. I am an atheist and a 5th year doctoral student pursuing a Psy.D in Clinical Psychology at Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia, PA. I am currently working on my dissertation entitled "Experiences of Coming out of the Atheist Closet."

What I hope to gain from this research is information and awareness that I can pass onto therapists, psychologists, counselors, etc. so that they may be sensitive to the issues and experiences that atheists go through. Hence, by participating in this study you will be helping other atheists get better mental health services should they ever need them!

Here is my research flyer. If anyone has any questions or interest in being a participant, feel free to contact me!

*NOTE: this research is directed at individuals residing within the US only, as that is where the research is being conducted. Thanks!

Wanted: Research Participants

Chestnut Hill College, Department of Profession Psychology
You are invited to participate in a study entitled
“Experiences of Coming Out of the Atheist Closet”

Who is eligible?
• Self-identified Atheists
• Aged 21+
• Must have been raised in a religious household
• Must have disclosed your atheist identity within the past 5 years
What you will be asked to do:
• Engage in an approximately 1.5 hour interview, either in person or via Skype, depending on logistical considerations
• Discuss and answer questions related to your experiences of disclosing your atheist identity
• Give consent to being audiotaped
Compensation:
• No monetary compensation will be provided, but the information gained from the study may help others better understand the experience of disclosing an atheist identity.

If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please contact:
Dominika K. Zylik at (201)-281-6826 or Email zylikd@chc.edu

Cavebear

Quote from: domkzyl on November 04, 2016, 11:57:03 AM
Hi. I hope I am not breaking any forum rules by posting here.

My name is Dominika. I am an atheist and a 5th year doctoral student pursuing a Psy.D in Clinical Psychology at Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia, PA. I am currently working on my dissertation entitled "Experiences of Coming out of the Atheist Closet."

What I hope to gain from this research is information and awareness that I can pass onto therapists, psychologists, counselors, etc. so that they may be sensitive to the issues and experiences that atheists go through. Hence, by participating in this study you will be helping other atheists get better mental health services should they ever need them!

Here is my research flyer. If anyone has any questions or interest in being a participant, feel free to contact me!

*NOTE: this research is directed at individuals residing within the US only, as that is where the research is being conducted. Thanks!

Wanted: Research Participants

Chestnut Hill College, Department of Profession Psychology
You are invited to participate in a study entitled
“Experiences of Coming Out of the Atheist Closet”

Who is eligible?
• Self-identified Atheists
• Aged 21+
• Must have been raised in a religious household
• Must have disclosed your atheist identity within the past 5 years
What you will be asked to do:
• Engage in an approximately 1.5 hour interview, either in person or via Skype, depending on logistical considerations
• Discuss and answer questions related to your experiences of disclosing your atheist identity
• Give consent to being audiotaped
Compensation:
• No monetary compensation will be provided, but the information gained from the study may help others better understand the experience of disclosing an atheist identity.

If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please contact:
Dominika K. Zylik at (201)-281-6826 or Email zylikd@chc.edu

Been an atheist for 52+ years.  Parents vaguely religious but not atheist.  No consent to audiotape, suspicious of your intent.  I did "come out" to the dismay of parents.  But if you want to speak to me, I'm willing.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

domkzyl

I'm sorry but because this is my dissertation and a qualitative phenomenological study, I need a transcript so that I can search the text for themes. My intent is to gain an understanding of the different experiences that atheists have in terms of their disclosures and to use this information to increase awareness of these experiences so that other therapists can be helpful to the atheist population when providing them with mental health services. If you have a change of heart, let me know. Thanks!

Mr.Obvious

Not really raised in a religious Household.
Plus, I started identifying as an atheist +5 years ago.
Still, good luck with your quest.

EDIT: also not American.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

GSOgymrat

I came out as an atheist to my Christian mother around the same time I came out as gay, which was 1985. Her reaction to both was to blame my father-- par for the course in a family of divorce.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 07, 2016, 02:07:44 PM
I came out as an atheist to my Christian mother around the same time I came out as gay, which was 1985. Her reaction to both was to blame my father-- par for the course in a family of divorce.

Damn, that's rough. Sucks man. Sorry to hear.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 07, 2016, 02:07:44 PM

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Theists with an attitude, like me, can blame G-d ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: domkzyl on November 06, 2016, 08:49:42 PM
I'm sorry but because this is my dissertation and a qualitative phenomenological study, I need a transcript so that I can search the text for themes. My intent is to gain an understanding of the different experiences that atheists have in terms of their disclosures and to use this information to increase awareness of these experiences so that other therapists can be helpful to the atheist population when providing them with mental health services. If you have a change of heart, let me know. Thanks!

You can have any information I provide here.  Ask me any questions you desire.

Sal1981

Quote from: domkzyl on November 04, 2016, 11:57:03 AM
How come?

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 11, 2016, 04:27:11 AM
How come?

Researchers get to choose where they research, I would think.  And having done some minor research in college, you don't tell everyone what your parameters are.

domkzyl

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 11, 2016, 04:27:11 AM
How come?

Well, this research will be used to help therapists in the U.S., and focuses on how atheists are treated in the U.S., since every country has different views towards atheism. So I just want the findings to be applicable to people residing in the U.S., since that is where I am.

Sorry if that excludes many people :(

PickelledEggs

I'm against rape. And ever since god raped Mary, I felt like he was a bad dude. So that's why I'm an atheist.

All kidding aside, welcome, if you are actually here to stay and not here solely to advertise your case study

kilodelta

I'd have my doubts as well: "The mission of Chestnut Hill College is to provide students with holistic education in an inclusive Catholic community marked by academic excellence, shared responsibility, personal and professional growth, service to one another and to the global community, and concern for the Earth."

But, the OP seems a bit up front with most everything. If anyone is considering participation, I would request a list of interview questions, a thesis statement, and the intended location of published materials (journal or whatever).
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

trdsf

You'll understand that there's a certain skepticism about research on atheists being done by/at a Roman Catholic college.  Best of luck with it, but I feel obliged to decline just on that basis.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Everyone is an atheist - we're just the ones who'll admit it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman