News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Together we share ours dreams

Started by viocjit, November 01, 2016, 07:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 06, 2016, 12:39:12 AM
You said "Five dreams that I'd like to realise (Importance order):"  Are you routinely that changeable?  Do you often deny what you said previously?

Order of importance and chronological order are two very different things. What I get out of that list is an order of desirability, from most to least.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

As for myself, frequent big changes in recent history have changed my priorities and shifted my goals for the future, so I'm not even sure what I want anymore. However, here are some things that come to mind, in no particular order:

1. Making a video game. I'm actually working on this right now. No idea how long it will take, but I'm trying to keep it both simple enough to be realistic for a first project and also unique enough to give people a reason to play it. But most importantly, I'm doing what I always wanted to do, to make a game the way I want it to be made. To have the choices I'd want to have.

2. Have a family. This one's pretty simple. I just want to have a happy life with a wife and some kids. I've always loved the idea of raising a child who is 50% me, to pass on my life lessons to.

3. Get a job that allows me to live comfortably, without worrying about bills. (Or become so rich that I can stop working altogether.
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on November 07, 2016, 06:47:20 PM
I feel that in not having any kids myself I'm doing the world a favor by not making more human beings to clog the drain. That said, I know even for those not making more spawns of themselves, the next five families will make 10 more kids, and the multiplications just keep adding up.

Sometimes I just think looking at things in a nihilistic way isn't so bad, just thinking of the sun will one day erupt like all others, and our solar system will be snuffed out, just for a new one to be formed and life starting elsewhere in the universe.

I agree, 6Billion+ of us are enough.  But I'm not too worried about the expanding sun snuffing out humanity.  If we are still alive then and here then, we deserve it...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

viocjit

Quote from: Cavebear on November 06, 2016, 12:39:12 AM
You said "Five dreams that I'd like to realise (Importance order):"  Are you routinely that changeable?  Do you often deny what you said previously?

Read the message of Blackleaf and you'll understand.

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 08, 2016, 08:52:48 PM
Order of importance and chronological order are two very different things. What I get out of that list is an order of desirability, from most to least.

Quote from: widdershins on November 07, 2016, 04:30:48 PM
I actually knew someone who won millions in the lottery.  It's not as nice as you might think.  She's completely broke now.  She got divorced shortly after winning.  Her kids are freaks and assholes with no social skills.  Person after person, friend after friend convinced her to invest in this or that.  She never saw a dime of return.  She made dumb investments and even dumber purchases.  She "bought" a cabin by the lake where she had to pay $2,000/month rent on the land.  That's about 4x the average house rent here for something you DON'T own.  Her boyfriend was busted making meth there, so it was taken.  Her entire family immediately got a "better than you" attitude and became completely dysfunctional.

From what I understand this is a pretty average story for lottery winners.  That's why the wife and I have a plan if we (by that I mean "she".  I played once.  I lost) ever win.  We will give each family member specific amounts, going out a specific distance in relatives and that's all we give up.  Any investing will be done in the stock market or with an investment firm, not someone's "brilliant" idea which they can't tell us about because it's so good that if anyone ever found out about it the idea would be stolen (a real thing this woman invested in).  Pay for college for all the kids outright, with an allowance.  Then make sure what we have in cash and assets always goes up, never down after that.

I think this person wasn't prepared.
I suppose she didn't had any management or investment skills.
Listen Friends about this kind of stuff is not a good idea in the majority of situations.
You wrote : "She "bought" a cabin by the lake where she had to pay $2,000/month rent on the land. That's about 4x the average house rent here for something you DON'T own."
$2000 x 12 month = $24000
$24000 x 10 years = $240 000
$24000 x 20 years = $480 000
$24000 x 30 years = $720 000
$24000 x 40 years = $960 000
$24000 x 50 years = $1 200 000
It's not necessary to be a Mathematician to mind she made an expensive choice.
I have a family but I haven't children and I don't want to procreate.
No children = Potentially less problems

How much millions were won by this woman ?

Blackleaf

If on the off chance I won the lottery (which is especially unlikely since I don't buy lottery tickets, seeing it as the "poor man's tax"), I wouldn't even buy an expensive house, car, or anything like that. I'd use my money to make more money, give a large portion of it to charity, and quit my job. An average house, an average car, and good internet are good enough for me.
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: viocjit on November 09, 2016, 04:54:07 PM
Read the message of Blackleaf and you'll understand.

I think this person wasn't prepared.
I suppose she didn't had any management or investment skills.
Listen Friends about this kind of stuff is not a good idea in the majority of situations.
You wrote : "She "bought" a cabin by the lake where she had to pay $2,000/month rent on the land. That's about 4x the average house rent here for something you DON'T own."
$2000 x 12 month = $24000
$24000 x 10 years = $240 000
$24000 x 20 years = $480 000
$24000 x 30 years = $720 000
$24000 x 40 years = $960 000
$24000 x 50 years = $1 200 000
It's not necessary to be a Mathematician to mind she made an expensive choice.
I have a family but I haven't children and I don't want to procreate.
No children = Potentially less problems

How much millions were won by this woman ?

If I won a lottery, it wouldn't make much difference.  I already have way more money than I spend.  The secret is to know how you want to live and stay there.  Another million or many wouldn't make any difference.  So I don't buy lottery tickets.  I might replace my 12 year old car, but I could do that today.

viocjit

I updated the list :

Seven dreams that I'd like to realise (Importance order) :
1.I want to become rich. I'd like to own some millions of Euros or more.
I prefer to own billions of Euros but some millions is sufficient for someone like me because I don't want to buy expensive things such a manor , expensive clothes , yacht etc...
If I can win some billions it would be better than win some millions because more money = more business opportunities.
Why not to become the first trillionaire (officially , because there are maybe an unknown trillionaire even if he does probably not exist) with a net worth of one trillion (1 000 000 000 000) or more in US dollar , Euro or Pound Sterling.
That means I would have approximately 50% of the GDP of my country (France) if I had these today.

2.Obtain my DNB (diplôme national du brevet / diploma of national certificate) as a candidat libre (Litt : Free candidate , Understandable English : external candidate or independent candidate)

The list below contain diplomas equivalent or similar to DNB in the main English speaking countries.
Australia : Record of School Achievement (RoSA) or Higher School Certificate (HSC) in New South Wales
Canada : Not found
Republic of Ireland : Junior Certificate (Irish : Teastas Sóisearach)
New Zealand : NCEA (National Certificate of Educational Achievement) level 1
UK : GCSE under C grade (general certificate of secondary education)
USA : Not found

Usually , we pass this diploma at the end of 3ème.
It is the equivalent of Year 10 or Ninth grade. (Accorded to countries)

3.Get a baccalauréat général (general baccalaureate) as a candidat libre (Litt : Free candidate , Understandable English : external candidate or independent candidate) .

The list below contain diplomas equivalent or similar to baccalauréat général in the main English speaking countries.
Australia : High School Certificate (HSC)
Canada : Canadian Diploma Certificate of Education (CDCE) more known under the name of High School Diploma.
Canada (British Columbia) : British Columbia Certificate of Graduation
Canada (Ontario) : Ontario Secondary School Diploma
Canada (Quebec) : HS Diploma/Diplôme D.E.S.
Republic of Ireland : Leaving Certificate Examinations (Irish : Scrúduithe na hArdteistiméireachta)
New Zealand : National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA)
UK : A-Level
USA : High School Diploma
USA (New York State) : Regents Diploma

4.Create my own business.
Why not found a business if I can do it ?
If I can do it I'll maybe have the opportunity to create a trading empire to bring me money.

5.Being fluent in many languages.
If I can become fluent in many languages it would be possible to speak to people in theirs native language. Speak to anyone in his native language = Better social interactions.

6.Learn more science. More science = more knowledge and better understanding of things.

7.Obtain my driving license to drive cars.

Baruch

Many of those goals are worthy goals.  I wish you well in obtaining them.  Particularly being at least bi-lingual ... fluent in at least two different languages.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

viocjit

I'd like to get these things in my life :
1.I'd like to go more often to the restaurants and why not to the best of these (I'm 23 years old and I did never eaten expensive things like frog legs or truffle).
2.Travel more often in foreign country (I'm telling the only travel in a foreign country done alone in this topic : http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thread-The-life-of-a-lonely-man?page=6 )
3.Some parts of my body shaved by professionals (I use disposable razor and I can't cut my whole pilosity because I'm lacking precision.
I tried a traditional razor and an electrical razor and I still get the same result)
4.TOP SECRET (This part was added for humoristic purpose)

Acquired things I don't want to lose :
1.My place of living except if I can live in a similar place if I move somewhere
2.My money
3.Clothes (I don't want to buy news clothes because of a sinister even if I have few clothes compared to the average French because I'm not a mode fan)
4.My documents (paychecks , diplomas , others documents etc...)
5.Tap waters will all things necessary (bathtub or shower , WC etc...)
6.Electricity
7.Phone
8.Computer
9.TV
10.Fridge
11.Freezer
12.Washing machine
13.Micro-Wave
14.Electric oven except if I can get one using gas
15.Cooktop
16.Cell phone that is not a smartphone
17.Bed
18.Tools to eat (dishes , knives , forks etc...)
19.My furniture to store my goods
20.My video games
21.My books
22.My joysticks to play to video games
23.Tools for privacy tasks (towels , razors , soap etc...)
24.Clock
25.Pens
26.Paper shredder

Baruch

Well sounds like you are doing better than the poor folks in Venezuela.  Your youth should give you hope ... perhaps you have many more years ahead in your personal adventure.  Don't worry about fancy food ... it is like fancy clothes ... no big deal.  Frogs legs are OK, but are way too small compared to chicken.  Haven't had truffles, but they are just another fungi.  Exotic food where I live is escargot.  I have to drive 100 miles to get to a French restaurant ;-)  We do have plenty of Mexican restaurants here of course, but also Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Thai.  We have one British stye pub ... but it is almost impossible to get a table.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: viocjit on November 01, 2016, 07:43:02 PM
I created this topic because I'd like to share with you some of my dreams and vice versa.

1.I want to become rich. I'd like to own some millions of Euros or more.
I prefer to own billions of Euros but some millions is sufficient for someone like me because I don't want to buy expensive things such a manor , expensive clothes , yacht etc...
If I can win some billions it would be better than win some millions because more money = more business opportunities.

I'm sure that millions of dollars, or Euros, would not be sufficient. No matter how much money you ever get, it won't be enough. If you were to become a multi-trillionaire you'd still be salivating for more, more and always more. Just like the plutocratic billionaires in the world now, no amount is ever enough.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 02, 2017, 05:33:39 PM
I'm sure that millions of dollars, or Euros, would not be sufficient. No matter how much money you ever get, it won't be enough. If you were to become a multi-trillionaire you'd still be salivating for more, more and always more. Just like the plutocratic billionaires in the world now, no amount is ever enough.

Addiction comes in many forms, and all are slavery.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 02, 2017, 05:33:39 PM

Lust for material goods is futile.  There are always more goods to acquire. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2017, 07:41:31 AM
Lust for material goods is futile.  There are always more goods to acquire.

Human leadership ... excels in such futility.  A failed species.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

viocjit

Quote from: Baruch on May 02, 2017, 06:00:39 AM
Well sounds like you are doing better than the poor folks in Venezuela.  Your youth should give you hope ... perhaps you have many more years ahead in your personal adventure.  Don't worry about fancy food ... it is like fancy clothes ... no big deal.  Frogs legs are OK, but are way too small compared to chicken.  Haven't had truffles, but they are just another fungi.  Exotic food where I live is escargot.  I have to drive 100 miles to get to a French restaurant ;-)  We do have plenty of Mexican restaurants here of course, but also Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Thai.  We have one British stye pub ... but it is almost impossible to get a table.

Of course , I'm in better conditions that average Venezuelan as a French even if I live below poverty line of my country accorded to some definitions.
Even if I'm among the poorer of my country. I know approximately 10% of people living in France are poorer than me.
I don't forget I'm among the 14-16% richest in the world.
I don't forget the majority of people of the world haven't all things owned by the majority of Westerners like electricity , computer , eat two to three time by day , tap water drinkable with hot water available , fridge etc...