Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Buddhism for atheists

Started by MyelinSheath, April 20, 2017, 03:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on April 26, 2017, 11:34:30 PM
So glad you asked ...
"extreme skepticism maintaining that nothing in the world has a real existence" ... taken from the Internet

So are you so skeptical as to be self contradictory?  That definition would mean a nihilist doesn't only deny all belief, but all demonstrated fact.  See the various definitions of realism and anti-realism under ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-realism

Realism is classic Platonism/Pythagoreanism vs Mathematics, where proof is about things that are real, but outside our human reality, or classically objective
Antirealism is post-classic vs Mathematics, where proof is the real, not about something else that is real, so not outside human reality, but still objective
Phenomenalism is radical empiricism vs Mathematics, where all facts are driven by sense data (Qualia), but outside our human reality
Antiphenomenalism is postmodern empiricism vs Mathematics, where all facts are within the context of human experience, including but not limited to, the post-processed sense data (post-Qualia)

I am an antiphenomenalist.  So I am not a classic theist or deist ... who would have been realists ... though Anselm and Aquinas would be close to antirealists.  A phenomenalist would be an atheist driven by empiricism that "there is no god" vs an atheist driven by rationalism that "there is no god" ... the former saying ... there is no god in my empirical experience, the latter saying ... there is no god that is a coherent idea.  My organon is that G-d is an undeniable empirical experience, but that empirical experience isn't coherent anyway.  Psychologism is the term used by Wiki ... for what I call antiphenomenalism.
Well, my nihilism means to me that nothing whatever has any sort of "ultimate" meaning, it's all just a working out of mathematical relations, which is all that really exists, anyway. But don't ask ne where those relations came from - it's relations all the way down...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

Quote from: MyelinSheath on April 23, 2017, 11:41:11 PM
Just to be clear, theism is the belief in one or more deity. It's not about being tied to your culture.

technically true but in reality...quite false.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust