World may be doomed by 2020 says National Geographic

Started by Baruch, October 29, 2016, 05:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Humans are nearly the most adaptable species on Earth.  We will fill up all possible niches.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 13, 2016, 02:30:42 AM
Humans are nearly the most adaptable species on Earth.  We will fill up all possible niches.

Yes, just like the Star Trek Classic episode about over-population.  Utopia sucks, if there are too many utopians.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

I am someone who does believe the human species is far to overpopulated in areas of the world, we can see proof of that in third world countries where the starvation is coupled with to many mouths to feed, no contraception, and probably men praying to their angry sky god for their not to be another mouth to feed, just to have five more a pop.

Where theres to many people and not enough resources, you then have conflicts created, and people leaving in droves from such regions, coupled with other countries taking said resources from them, escalating the problem.

We are to overpopulated. When there are over populations of animal species in a region that effects the natural wildlife, like toads eating frogs or crickets eating crops, we as a species cull those creatures by what we think as giving balance back, and yet, when our own species gets culled, its a genocide, a tragedy, something that rocks the world.
We're a kind of self absorbed species thats dickish to all others. We might have exceptions like conservation, but overall, the greater majority is more concerned about having their froffy cappuccino then the cows locked in place unable to move while being milked.

Speaking of being milked, I have some delightful images involving guys in such situations.

(now who wants extra foam on their coffee)
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on November 06, 2016, 01:55:17 AM
Not unless we sterilize the planet with radiation bombs.  Each natural extinction event seems to cause less death.  The ones who survived the previous ones are more suited to survive the next.

I don't think sterilizing the Earth is possible, given the deep hot biosphere.

http://europepmc.org/backend/ptpmcrender.fcgi?accid=PMC49434&blobtype=pdf
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 15, 2016, 06:35:11 PM
The Kalahari Bushmen learned that trick from the African painted dogs, I believe.

Human beings are the only species that are natural super-marathoners ... we wounded game, then chased it to death (since our weapons were only semi-lethal).  And human women can smell water (in tubers) under the sand.  When we return to our natural form of 20,000 years ago, anyone still alive will be very fit for survival ... fat accountants not so much ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on November 15, 2016, 07:19:36 PM
Human beings are the only species that are natural super-marathoners ... we wounded game, then chased it to death (since our weapons were only semi-lethal).  And human women can smell water (in tubers) under the sand.  When we return to our natural form of 20,000 years ago, anyone still alive will be very fit for survival ... fat accountants not so much ;-)
And the APDs perfected the relay rundown.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 15, 2016, 06:35:11 PM
The Kalahari Bushmen learned that trick from the African painted dogs, I believe.

It IS one of the reasons that humans and dogs learned to live and hunt together.  We both got food the same way.  And the wolves learned that we were a better pack hunter than THEY were and accepted us as pack leaders.  The tamer and lowest ranked members anyway...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on November 17, 2016, 05:23:22 AM
It IS one of the reasons that humans and dogs learned to live and hunt together.  We both got food the same way.  And the wolves learned that we were a better pack hunter than THEY were and accepted us as pack leaders.  The tamer and lowest ranked members anyway...
The human-as-leader  would have been programmed into them while they were still puppies. You can dominate a month-old puppy and it will be submission from then on, in general. Trickier for pure wolves, you have to get to them during the first week of their life. They have to understand this early that things that smell like us are dominant. It seriously amused me to hear "Hoskins" (Vincent D'Onofrio, AKA the big bug from MIB) talking about bonding with a two month old "wolf pup" in "Jurassic World".
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 17, 2016, 06:02:03 AM
The human-as-leader  would have been programmed into them while they were still puppies. You can dominate a month-old puppy and it will be submission from then on, in general. Trickier for pure wolves, you have to get to them during the first week of their life. They have to understand this early that things that smell like us are dominant. It seriously amused me to hear "Hoskins" (Vincent D'Onofrio, AKA the big bug from MIB) talking about bonding with a two month old "wolf pup" in "Jurassic World".

It was the "loser" wolves that we first adopted.  Those most submissive would have been attracted to our waste piles, and those cubs ARE cute and non-threatening...  I would bet that some preteen girl brought the first starving pup with huge eyes and begging ways in to feed it.  "Oh just LOOK at this poor thing". 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on November 17, 2016, 06:10:37 AM
It was the "loser" wolves that we first adopted.  Those most submissive would have been attracted to our waste piles, and those cubs ARE cute and non-threatening...  I would bet that some preteen girl brought the first starving pup with huge eyes and begging ways in to feed it.  "Oh just LOOK at this poor thing". 
Or we could have taken entire litters after killing the parents.
PZ Myers