World may be doomed by 2020 says National Geographic

Started by Baruch, October 29, 2016, 05:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on October 31, 2016, 09:35:02 AM
i guess I better learn how to can my veggies then......gonna need a lot of them....and rope to tie me to a tree in case gravity goes away....

No, get connected with a decent small farm and a warm spot by the fire and you'll be fine.  ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on October 31, 2016, 06:30:42 AM
Peer-reviewed journals still matter.  But you have to have a professional or personally-expensive subscription to most of them.  I don't.  I have to depend on the magazines that report on the professional journals.  I get Scientific American, National Geographic, and Smithsonian.
I like them too, but I keep in mind that they're not required to have robust evidence for their claims.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 31, 2016, 11:53:02 AM
I like them too, but I keep in mind that they're not required to have robust evidence for their claims.

They are only reporting on peer-reviewed claims...

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on October 31, 2016, 09:35:02 AM
i guess I better learn how to can my veggies then......gonna need a lot of them....and rope to tie me to a tree in case gravity goes away....

The opposite of gravity is levity.  And your post was very funny ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 31, 2016, 12:20:50 PM
Second-hand source, yes.

So, when you read some physics, you go back and read Newton's Principia in the original Latin?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on October 31, 2016, 12:25:18 PM
So, when you read some physics, you go back and read Newton's Principia in the original Latin?
The Rule of So says "When a reply starts with 'So...' it should be inspected carefully for strawman arguments."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 31, 2016, 12:32:02 PM
The Rule of So says "When a reply starts with 'So...' it should be inspected carefully for strawman arguments."

Why all the hate for Scarecrow ... are you a flying monkey?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on October 31, 2016, 07:18:50 PM
Why all the hate for Scarecrow ... are you a flying monkey?
"I got that reference!" Captain America.
PZ Myers

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Ro3bert

I don't know about 2020 but I do know that homo sapiens is the only animal capable of reproducing itself into extinction. We are the only animal that can live in almost any habitat.

All other animals have some sort of balance that limits their numbers. Prey animals reproduce until the food supply is exhausted or predators thin them out, predators multiply only as prey is abundant.  Each keeps the other in balance.

It is another matter with homo sapiens. As omnivores we can produce plenty of plant food, that is until our population out numbers our ability to find enough land to cultivate. We do not need animal protein. Predators are non-existent for us (except in rare cases which do not inhibit our growth).

Eventually we will over populate the earth. Meanwhile in search of food we will build buildings at an ever increasing rate until all agricultural land is built over. Then where will the food come from?

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on October 31, 2016, 08:56:07 PM
If Trump wins, we're doomed even earlier.

In which case, I want to get this shit show on the road already.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Ro3bert on October 31, 2016, 09:33:15 PM
I don't know about 2020 but I do know that homo sapiens is the only animal capable of reproducing itself into extinction. We are the only animal that can live in almost any habitat.

All other animals have some sort of balance that limits their numbers. Prey animals reproduce until the food supply is exhausted or predators thin them out, predators multiply only as prey is abundant.  Each keeps the other in balance.

It is another matter with homo sapiens. As omnivores we can produce plenty of plant food, that is until our population out numbers our ability to find enough land to cultivate. We do not need animal protein. Predators are non-existent for us (except in rare cases which do not inhibit our growth).

Eventually we will over populate the earth. Meanwhile in search of food we will build buildings at an ever increasing rate until all agricultural land is built over. Then where will the food come from?

The tops of all our buildings?  Think about it.  If we cover the Earth with buildings, than the tops of our buildings would equal the surface of the Earth.  Lots of growing space there, right?

widdershins

I guess they thought they'd get one last quality article in before their new corporate overlords at Fox sent them the memo that they were no longer allowed to use facts.
This sentence is a lie...

Unbeliever

We may indeed be about to replay the Permian catastrophe, when life was reduced by about 95%. So what?

The Earth will soon replenish itself from whatever organisms are left to continue the struggle. Mass extinctions seem to be a way for evolution to ratchet up the sophistication of the biosphere. After each such event, the best and brightest, the most adaptable forms that remain are more advanced than the survivors of the previous events, and so life stars over from a higher point of organization.

Its all just part of the natural life cycle of living planets, I think.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman