The Intolerance of Our Intolerance Won't Be Tolerated! (?)

Started by stromboli, June 05, 2013, 04:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.thedailydolt.com/2013/06/01/ ... tolerance/

QuoteVatican officials are pushing back against what they see as increasing intolerance toward Christians. Specifically, the Church is speaking out against one of the most pernicious forms of oppression in the world today: homophobia-phobia.  As tweeted from the Vatican Secretariat of State's official Twitter account recently

QuoteThe Secretariat's tweet follows a similar statement from Bishop Mario Toso earlier this month during his delivery of the Holy See's address to  the High Level Conference on Tolerance and Non-discrimination:

Intolerance in the name of tolerance cannot be condoned.
Finally, the Vatican is speaking truth to power.

One can only hope that someday, Christians will no longer be forced to hide who they are, living in the cultural closet, unable to come out to their friends and family as a member of the largest religious group on earth. But with only 2.1 billion other Christians out there, how can they absolutely, definitely, without a doubt know they'll be safe?

Sadly, as Toso went on to explain, many Christians are still being forced to repress their evangelic urges:

[Christians in the] 21st century are now being forced to choose between two impossible scenarios: they can abandon their faith and act against their conscience, or resist and face losing their livelihood.
This decision Toso describes of being forced to choose between what one knows in one's heart to be true and what society says to do —  this is something gays could never understand. Unlike being gay, Christianity is not a choice. Some people are simply born that way.
As Toso further lamented, while Christians today are still technically allowed to worship as they wish, they are not permitted to act out all of their religious beliefs all of the time. Perhaps more disturbing, many Christians cannot even condemn other people's behavior during a public discourse without their own behavior being condemned:
It is regretful ... that ... a sharp dividing line has been drawn between religious belief and religious practice, so that Christians are frequently reminded in public discourse (and increasingly even in the courts), that they can believe whatever they like in their own homes or heads, and largely worship as they wish in their own private churches, but they simply cannot act on those beliefs in public. This is a deliberate twisting and limiting of what religious freedom actually means...
Ultimately, religious freedom must be paramount, which means that my religious right to discriminate against you outweighs your secular right to not be discriminated against by me.  That's because my religious beliefs are correct — not on the basis of any effect they have on actual human rights, but because they're derived from God, who pretty much nails it every time (being right is kind of his specialty).
Likewise, if gays formed some kind of gay church of their own, then their religious freedom would also be paramount. If they wanted, the leaders of this hypothetical gay church could keep the truly religious men and women apart from each other so they could focus on having same-sex interactions. In this craaaazy gay church we're imagining, the monasteries would be full of gay men and the nunneries would be full of lesbians, and since it's gay and all, they'd probably focus disproportionately on what you do with your genitals. Those pervs. Religion is right and gayness is weird; so until gay Jesus sticks his resurrerection all up in our face, in the name of tolerance, intolerance must be tolerated. Amen.

Read the article for the tweets.

Okay, so you can no longer dominate through genocide. What do you do? Hissy fit in the media. That'll work.

ApostateLois

:lol:  Is that for real? It reads like a satire site. Christians do complain about persecution, though, even though they have no idea what that even means.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "ApostateLois":lol:  Is that for real? It reads like a satire site. Christians do complain about persecution, though, even though they have no idea what that even means.

Yeah - for some odd reason they whine about not being allowed to pray in school when they have an entire building set aside just For prayer and what-not-god-ness.  
Dunno bout you - but I see true persecution of christians as them getting fed to the lions and such.  So.........  yanno.

:rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

wolf39us

I think stromboli might need her own rank for being our news person!

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "wolf39us"I think stromboli might need her own rank for being our news person!

Pssst........ Strom is ALL man.
just sayin........

(don't be fooled by the avatars he chooses............ he's in fantasy mode most of the day)
 :rollin:

wolf39us

ah, oops... so what!  The point didn't change :-)

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "wolf39us"ah, oops... so what!  The point didn't change :-)

True. Strom makes an excellent newsman.  Certainly.

AllPurposeAtheist

Don't tolerate this strom. They're persecuting you.. eer..would be if you would only have a lion biting into your neck at their orders..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

OK. For the record.
4 years US Navy from 1968 to 1972. I was a cook aboard the USS George Washington and then the USS George C. Marshall (SSBN 598/SSBN 654) qualified in submarines twice.

Spent last 6 months in the Navy working as a cook after a motorcycle accident, in Chelsea Naval Hospital in Boston. got out on an early out because the cafeteria went to a civilian contractor, and I was only a 3rd class; not senior enough to stay.
2 years Provo City Fire Dept.
2 years US Gov't Firefighter @ Clearfield, UT
I have a degree in English Literature earned from U of U, Weber State and then graduating from U of U- long story. I am also formerly structural/aircraft certified multi-position welder. As a Firefighter I taught advanced First Aid and rescue for 18 months.
Other jobs: Structural Welder, cooking/managing graveyard at Sambo's Restaurant on North Temple in Salt Lake City, working part time as security for Sears (floor walker) during the day while attending U of U at night. Property management for State Realty while working after marriage.Going to school at Weber State. Aircraft Welder US air Force for 13 years. Worked in environmental safety, hazardous waste cleanup, hospital sensitive records (AIDS patients) for Air Force, ended up as Technical Order (instructional manuals) editor. Retired 2004.

Oh yeah. Somewhere in there I got married and had 3 kids.

I have never, ever, in my life worn a dress, shaved my legs or even talked with a high voice.  [-X

Jmpty

Quote from: "stromboli"OK. For the record.
4 years US Navy from 1968 to 1972. I was a cook aboard the USS George Washington and then the USS Geroge C. Marshall (SSBN 598/SSBN 654) qualified in submarines twice.

Spent last 6 months in the Navy working as a cook after a motorcycle accident, in Chelsea Naval Hospital in Boston. got out on an early out because the cafeteria went to a civilian contractor, and I was only a 3rd class; not senior enough to stay.
2 years Provo City Fire Dept.
2 years US Gov't Firefighter @ Clearfield, UT
I have a degree in English Literature earned from U of U, Weber State and then graduating from U of U- long story. I am also formerly structural/aircraft certified multi-position welder. As a Firefighter I taught advanced First Aid and rescue for 18 months.
Other jobs: Structural Welder, cooking/managing graveyard at Sambo's Restaurant on North Temple in Salt Lake City, working part time as security for Sears (floor walker) during the day while attending U of U at night. Property management for State Realty while working after marriage.Going to school at Weber State. Aircraft Welder US air Force for 13 years. Worked in environmental safety, hazardous waste cleanup, hospital sensitive records (AIDS patients) for Air Force, ended up as Technical Order (instructional manuals) editor. Retired 2004.

Oh yeah. Somewhere in there I got married and had 3 kids.

I have never, ever, in my life worn a dress, shaved my legs or even talked with a high voice.  [-X

Mmmmm hmmmm. :roll:
???  ??

stromboli

True story, bro. believe it or not.

Colanth

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Dunno bout you - but I see true persecution of christians as them getting fed to the lions and such.
You ARE aware that all that never actually happened, right?  That it was as made up as the rest of their BS?

What the Vatican is actually saying (and they've said the same thing many times before) is that being forced to obey the law is persecution.  So is not changing the law to obey the Vatican.

Was it Paul VI who complained about Malaysia not making exception to Sharia for Catholics, and at the same time complaining that the US didn't force all citizens to follow Catholic law?

Looking for intelligence in religion is like looking for a hammer in a stack of needles.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "stromboli"OK. For the record.[-X

Don't bullshit the poor guy Strom. We all know you're a hoddie.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Krisyork2008

So what fact is that satire based on? Did something happen recently?
Quote from: \"sweetjesus\"you cant push a dog into a pond and it turn into a fish-- evolution is rong. Why we still got monkeys?"?
Quote from: \"GurrenLagann\"Can\'t handle criticism? Find another species. \":)\"
"The catholic church is not a force for good, and fuck you for saying so." - Matt Dillahunty
"The holy spirit can\'t hold a pen." -Russel Brand

stromboli

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"
Quote from: "stromboli"OK. For the record.[-X

Don't bullshit the poor guy Strom. We all know you're a hoddie.

Oh, my bad. I wear a size 10 strapless and I'm Gay as hell.  :-D  

I was going to post this under humor, but because it is Catholic and actually pretty accurate, I put it under Christianity.