Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on October 30, 2016, 08:15:19 PM
About dead people voting, if someone mails in a ballot and then dies before election day, does that count as a dead person voting?

If the postmark is earlier than the date of death, you're good to go.  But if it's later, you have committed a felony.  I'm not sure what the fine is.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 31, 2016, 06:41:43 AM
If the postmark is earlier than the date of death, you're good to go.  But if it's later, you have committed a felony.  I'm not sure what the fine is.

Yes voting before you die counts. You voted akive, it counts.  Like if you die on your way home from the voting place in a car crash, your vote still counts.

I read one study of the Billion or so votes in the US since 2000, 31 were found fraudulent.  Of a BILLION.

The BushII administration tried to find voter fraud; they couldn't.

One group tried to find voter fraud, and found it.  But they were all record-errors.

The sad fact for the crazies is that it just doesn't exist.

Their best argument is that there are lots of dead people still on voter lists.  Their problem is that they just can't find any examples of dead people voting these days.  We are past that. It is simply a false arguement.  One that riles up the ignorant but has no basis in reality.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 29, 2016, 10:46:19 AM
I even played the text game in the 90s.  I could never get a Babel Fish out of the vending machine.
I could, but I needed the walkthrough.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on October 31, 2016, 06:41:43 AM
They could just call it 'capital punishment from beyond'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 31, 2016, 02:07:16 PM
I could, but I needed the walkthrough.  :D

I didn't buy the cheat-sheets or ask others.  I just failed.  I should have, to enjoy the rest of the game.  But it seemed like it would be the same most problems.  Text games were not my strong point.  Logical questions are good for me, but dumb ones like "remove the light switch with your screwdriver and pull out the key" just made no sense.  I made that one up, but it is a good example.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on November 03, 2016, 01:51:34 AM
I didn't buy the cheat-sheets or ask others.  I just failed.  I should have, to enjoy the rest of the game.  But it seemed like it would be the same most problems.  Text games were not my strong point.  Logical questions are good for me, but dumb ones like "remove the light switch with your screwdriver and pull out the key" just made no sense.  I made that one up, but it is a good example.

I know the kinds of solutions you are referring to.  Sometimes a walk through is the only possible way to get through parts of a game.  My biggest concern is that a walk through can become habit forming.  Sometimes there are enough clues around to figure out the solution, and I think a little frustration followed by the "Ahha" moment should be an enjoyable part of the game.  On the other hand a couple of failed attempts can easily get me reaching for the walk through. This isn't an ideal way to play the game.  Not because it's cheating, but because it will prevent you from having those enjoyable moments of discovery.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on November 03, 2016, 06:51:43 AM
I know the kinds of solutions you are referring to.  Sometimes a walk through is the only possible way to get through parts of a game.  My biggest concern is that a walk through can become habit forming.  Sometimes there are enough clues around to figure out the solution, and I think a little frustration followed by the "Ahha" moment should be an enjoyable part of the game.  On the other hand a couple of failed attempts can easily get me reaching for the walk through. This isn't an ideal way to play the game.  Not because it's cheating, but because it will prevent you from having those enjoyable moments of discovery.

Yeah after the 100th attempt at failing to get a damn babel fish, you begin to look for a cheat book.  I need some cheats just to get off Earth alive.  When I couldn't get a babel fish on my own, I realized I just wasn't "getting it" and stopped. 

I had done everything from asking, giving coins, beating the machine apart, speaking nicely, and everything else I could think of...

BTW, how DO you get the babel fish?  Do you recall?

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on November 03, 2016, 08:00:27 AM
BTW, how DO you get the babel fish?  Do you recall?

Sorry, I've never played that game.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on November 03, 2016, 08:16:04 AM
Sorry, I've never played that game.

Wow, from your previous responses, it seemed like you had.  You meant similar games then?

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on November 03, 2016, 08:30:35 AM
Wow, from your previous responses, it seemed like you had.  You meant similar games then?

Yep.

Cavebear

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on November 03, 2016, 08:40:42 AM
May I ask which?  I tried a lot of games on my Commodore 64.

The Commodore was well on it's way out as an icon in gamer's psyche, when I was just starting to get interest in computers.  It already smelled of a dying body awaiting it's final breath.

But most games have the common problem solving challenges involving guessing what to do with the aide of sometimes not very obvious clues.  I've must have run into your light switch type scenario before, because I could sense the frustration that goes with it.  Am I shooting the right guy?  Should I run over to the left and start shooting that flower pot? and wait for a hidden door to open?  Is there a certain order these switches have to be activated in?  It drive you crazy sometimes, which has varying levels of enjoyment for different people.

I remember the discovery in one of my first games, Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  It was the final battle to take out the uberbadass played in an arena with some obstacles and with his annoyingly but deadly minions.  I had shot up the badass with maybe a thousand rounds and thrown all my grenades and dynamite at him, and he seemed unstoppable.  I must have tried that part of the game 25 times until I discovered the answer:  Just shoot him with another thousand rounds.  Stop trying to drop that cement block from the crane on him.  It's just a distraction, as are all the rest of those enticing things.  Just shoot, and then shoot him some more even though he's unfazed to bullets and dynamite.  Who would have thought?

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on November 03, 2016, 09:02:23 AM
The Commodore was well on it's way out as an icon in gamer's psyche, when I was just starting to get interest in computers.  It already smelled of a dying body awaiting it's final breath.

But most games have the common problem solving challenges involving guessing what to do with the aide of sometimes not very obvious clues.  I've must have run into your light switch type scenario before, because I could sense the frustration that goes with it.  Am I shooting the right guy?  Should I run over to the left and start shooting that flower pot? and wait for a hidden door to open?  Is there a certain order these switches have to be activated in?  It drive you crazy sometimes, which has varying levels of enjoyment for different people.

I remember the discovery in one of my first games, Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  It was the final battle to take out the uberbadass played in an arena with some obstacles and with his annoyingly but deadly minions.  I had shot up the badass with maybe a thousand rounds and thrown all my grenades and dynamite at him, and he seemed unstoppable.  I must have tried that part of the game 25 times until I discovered the answer:  Just shoot him with another thousand rounds.  Stop trying to drop that cement block from the crane on him.  It's just a distraction, as are all the rest of those enticing things.  Just shoot, and then shoot him some more even though he's unfazed to bullets and dynamite.  Who would have thought?

But that where a lot of gamers started.  You could use software to copy games, play games, and learn your way around a computer for office programs.    My first spreadsheet was Commodore's Multiplan and I forget the name of the database (DBase?).  When we got Excel and Access, I was off and running before my co-workers had a clue!  And they never caught up.  And not because I had the head start, but because they just weren't interested in the possibilities of computers.  To most of them, a computer was just a fancy typewriter or sometimes an accounting sheet.

Baruch

We are techno-dating ourselves ... I remember when there was Wang word-processing, and a nice woman would produce my document (for my correction).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.