News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

War over polls intensifies

Started by SGOS, October 26, 2016, 09:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chill98

Polls...  been there done that.

I used to get called by gallup every 3-4 months and happily answered.  Then I got the 'legal marijuanna in state poll', gave my pro opinion and was horrified when the results came out and politicians latched on the results, screaming about "look at how many people use [weed], we gotta make more laws!!" 

Ignoring the results of the poll of 'we the people' I decided  eff 'em.   When Gallup called again I asked to be removed from their system.  I told the lady why (she asked).  She chuckled as I finished up my tirade about politicians with "bastards only use polls to change their slogans and lie to us some more.  They will find out on election day what my opinion is". 

I have answered the phone 3 times this election season for polls and told them to take me off their list.  I am on Do Not Call, I remind them.   A leaning towards hillary co-worker did the same this week.

There is a ton of distrust of all msm, including pollsters.  Reading over some of the articles about polling, the struggle to get people to answer the questions seems to be a huge issue for all of them. 

And that (imo) means one should take the polls with a teaspoon (rather than a grain) of salt.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 29, 2016, 09:46:36 AM
Substance to the suspicion is irrelevant.  What makes the emails important are the unknowns.  Why are they important right now?  Oh, wait, I know.  I'll bet Hillary sexted her titty pics to Weiner.  And unless something of substance shows up by January, the emails and what we don't know about what they contain, will still be haunting Americans when the Rapture comes.  This is an issue the Republicans don't want resolved.  If the FBI actually leaks Hillary's titty pics to the press, everyone will find closure and emails will no longer serve a purpose.

Ah yes, suspicion of scandal is sufficient as proof to The Donald.  I keep forgetting that.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: chill98 on October 29, 2016, 10:11:56 AM
Polls...  been there done that.

I used to get called by gallup every 3-4 months and happily answered.  Then I got the 'legal marijuanna in state poll', gave my pro opinion and was horrified when the results came out and politicians latched on the results, screaming about "look at how many people use [weed], we gotta make more laws!!" 

Ignoring the results of the poll of 'we the people' I decided  eff 'em.   When Gallup called again I asked to be removed from their system.  I told the lady why (she asked).  She chuckled as I finished up my tirade about politicians with "bastards only use polls to change their slogans and lie to us some more.  They will find out on election day what my opinion is". 

I have answered the phone 3 times this election season for polls and told them to take me off their list.  I am on Do Not Call, I remind them.   A leaning towards hillary co-worker did the same this week.

There is a ton of distrust of all msm, including pollsters.  Reading over some of the articles about polling, the struggle to get people to answer the questions seems to be a huge issue for all of them. 

And that (imo) means one should take the polls with a teaspoon (rather than a grain) of salt.

I use NoMoRoBo.  My phone rings once when such people call and cuts them off, and then I delete the "missed call" messages once a day.

Mermaid

And I am so fucking OVER this campaign. It's already shot my last fucking nerve.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

chill98

Quote from: Baruch on October 29, 2016, 09:04:21 AM
Hillary is Tricky P***y ... because like Nixon, if the Clintons do it, it is legal.  So funny when the shoe is on the other foot ... if the Rs had been as corrupt as the Clintons (way beyond Nixonian) ... the Ds would have burned the White House down with Nixon in it.  But then the Ds stole the 1960 election ... so they should dwell in Hell, right next to the Rs.
This election cycle has been a glaring example of 'fluid/subjective' personal morals.

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on October 29, 2016, 10:19:44 AM

And I am so fucking OVER this campaign. It's already shot my last fucking nerve.

Have a pint ... and get your towel ready.  The Vogons are only in your imagination.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

When it comes down to crazy f*cking insane vs sneaky competent, I'll choose competent.

Baruch

Quote from: chill98 on October 29, 2016, 10:24:02 AM
This election cycle has been a glaring example of 'fluid/subjective' personal morals.

If something is more fluid than it should be, I call it diarrhea.  Some are back to policy-only position ... doesn't matter what the politicians do, as long as they legislate the way I want the Dark State tell them to (SCOTUS etc).  Personal failures should be private, just like Jack Kennedy's escapades.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on October 29, 2016, 10:27:08 AM
Have a pint ... and get your towel ready.  The Vogons are only in your imagination.
I have no idea what this means.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Cavebear

Its a 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy' reference.  It's British, towels are important, Vogons are building an interglactic highway through Earth and it is destroyed. 

Mermaid

Quote from: Cavebear on October 29, 2016, 10:40:42 AM
Its a 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy' reference.

Jeesh. And I read that, too.

Cavebear

I even played the text game in the 90s.  I could never get a Babel Fish out of the vending machine.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 29, 2016, 10:46:19 AM
I even played the text game in the 90s.  I could never get a Babel Fish out of the vending machine.

I did too ... so you were the one who was playing with me, you trans-dimensional mouse, you!

And the answer isn't 42 ... Deep Thought had a defective FPU (floating point unit ... see Intel circa mid-90s).  Deep Thought only thought the answer was 42.  Thus Earth 2 was still a waste of Magrathean effort.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

chill98

Quote from article:

But, with today's latest ABC / Washington Post poll, the real "smoking gun" admission is revealed as the pollsters admit that the narrowing of their polling results are "not mainly about people shifting in their candidate preference" but about how their sample pool was constructed.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-29/abc-wapo-effectively-admit-they-tampered-their-polls-hillary-lead-shrinks-2-points

I take zerohedge with a grain of salt also.  But at the bottom of the article is scribd content from the poll source.

SGOS

While I won't claim which polls are reputable, my experience is that the national polls most often referred by the media usually predict the winners, perhaps not with perfect accuracy but close enough to be right.