News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Weatherproofing your house for winter

Started by Melly, October 24, 2016, 01:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melly

Hi everyone since Christmas and heavy winter is just around the corner I would just like to share some tips on how to weatherproof your windows for the winter season ([redacted] ) :

1) Weatherstrip the windows : this acts as an additional pane of glass and helps keeps the heat inside.Make sure that you do not reuse weatherstripping plastic from the previous season.

2) If you live in an old house ensure that all the storm windows are closed properly.

3) If you like window films then you could hang insulated curtains.They can block out both light and sound.Heavier the drapes, the warmer your rooms will be.

Winter can be a hard time to stay properly warm indoors just follow these tips mentioned above and pay a lot less on your utility bill.

Munch

Thanks Melly, I'll get right on that!

Urm.. glass repairs over time right?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Michael M Perez

Window insulation kits available at the hardware stores would come in handy. These kits usually contain plastic shrink film. Ensure that you take all stpes to minimise energy lose. Clear sills and moving parts of dirt and debris.. Check for the weather stripping. if needed get recaulking done for windows and doors. Replace old windows and doors with energy efficient ones. Check for some more easy and useful tips in this article http://www.ontariowindowreviews.com/blog/prepare-windows-winter/

PickelledEggs

Gawdzilla Sama

#1 method of weatherproofing your house for winter: Move to a better climate.

If you don't have that option remember to get an insulated door for the inside entrance to your garage, if it's not heated. If it is heated you have more problems than I can help you with.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Now you tell us, when January is almost over, and it's too cold outside to fuck with my storm windows.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on January 30, 2017, 01:38:20 PM
Now you tell us, when January is almost over, and it's too cold outside to fuck with my storm windows.
The plastic sheeting is applied inside the house. I used the tape that came with the kit, then tacked slim wood pieces over that to keep it from coming loose. Do that before you use the hair dryer to shrink it tight.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 30, 2017, 05:20:50 PM
Too much air leakage around the edges.
Yeah, but a nice, fat, semi firm one should do the trick nicely.

Munch

Are we talking about blocking out the cold, or plugging someones plumbing?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin