Can A Christian Watch Game of Thrones?

Started by stromboli, June 05, 2013, 02:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"...Tolken was very clear that LOTR and the universe of Middle Earth was not an allegory of Christianity and the Jésus myth. It was an adventure tale which had influences of his Christian beliefs (naturally), but nothing to do with the story itself.

To suggest otherwise is nonsense and not reflected in reality (if folk don't believe me, read the preamble in the LOTR where he states it's not an allegory).
We all know that Jesus (if he actually existed) was NOT born in December, but they don't like that reality either.  "Reality" to a fundie is what makes him happy, not what's real.  Christianish and English use a lot of the same words, but they don't have the same meanings in both languages.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

stromboli

Christians can watch Game of Thrones. They must be naked and flogging themselves the whole time. That's how the Pope does it.

Colanth

Quote from: "stromboli"Christians can watch Game of Thrones. They must be naked and flogging themselves the whole time. That's how the Pope does it.
Is that what they call it these days?  "Flogging"?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

stromboli

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "stromboli"Christians can watch Game of Thrones. They must be naked and flogging themselves the whole time. That's how the Pope does it.
Is that what they call it these days?  "Flogging"?

Only if you're Catholic.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "widdershins"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Borgia is on Netflix for free - I strongly suggest anyone wanting to know what the Catholic Church was once like give it a viewing.
NO!  My wife has this thing where she obsesses over a show which has been on for years and will sit day after day watching episode after episode until they are all done, then, sometimes, start over.  One of the things she began watching was Borgia.  I only walked by and heard about 10 minutes of a handful of episodes and that was enough for me.  As far as I could tell it's about a fucked up, snooty family that just LOVE to say their own last name.  I got sick of hearing that fucking word just from what I heard as I walked by!

It's still not as bad as Vampire Diaries.  I actually sat and watched a few of those with her.  That is, until the morning I woke up bored out of my fucking skull because I dreamed about two whiny, mopey vampire brothers going from one tragic "woe is me" session to another, lamenting over stupid things in an utterly self-absorbed, overly dramatized fashion until the dream literally bored me so much I woke up.  I have had dreams which could be described as boring before, but never before have I had one which literally made me bored WHILE it was happening.

Moral of the story, if the wife likes it, I don't, and I don't need to watch it to find out I don't like it.  It's a constant of the universe like the speed of light.

LMAO  - Are you my husband posting in hiding?
classic
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.