News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Purpose of Purpose.

Started by trdsf, October 22, 2016, 02:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Ape men deliberately going genetic engineering ... won't end good.  That is a different kind of evolution, outside of natural selection.  Designing my child to have a super big dick so as to attract more mates (of both sexes).  Now you are also driving an individual, not a population, unless you can spread your gene mods to the general population.  The Elite will do that eventually, as per Brave New World or Time Machine ... enjoy your future as a Delta or Morloch.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Actually, sparkly stuff does not impress me.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 29, 2016, 08:48:06 AM
Actually, sparkly stuff does not impress me.

So you are a man, not a woman?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 22, 2016, 03:16:21 PM
Some futurists postulate the purpose of humans is to create artificial intelligence, which isn't constrained by biology and therefore can escape the solar system and explore the universe. We will give birth to this superior form of life and then humans will die out eventually from an extinction level event.

Humans (with mind) need not die out when the universe succeeds in forming the next stage (quantum AI?) of its ability to experience itself. Just as all the previous stages of that process are still around (particles, atoms, molecules, life), so will we with mind be around as well, far into the future. Likely our preservation will be accomplished by our successors, those QAI we will create. We'll probably explore the universe in concert with them. They won't be our masters, but our partners.

If we don't destroy ourselves before we can create a sustainable prototype, at least.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Imagine intelligent life on some other planet being terrorized by the Replicators (Stargate SG1).  So much for us being the friendly ambassadors from the Federation of Planets.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 04, 2016, 07:38:00 PM
Imagine intelligent life on some other planet being terrorized by the Replicators (Stargate SG1).  So much for us being the friendly ambassadors from the Federation of Planets.

We are the Cylons!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I expect, if there are any ETs, they will have evolved, as did we, from a predatory species. How much of their predatory characteristics they will still have when we come across them is anyone's guess, I guess.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Like the intelligent bovine at The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe ... I hope we are tasty, nutritious and pleasantly loquacious ;-)  Of course being Jewish, I am kosher for Jewish aliens to eat as well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

What they don't say on Star Trek:

We are the Starship Enterprise on a 5 year mission seeking out new life forms to prey on.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 04, 2016, 08:14:35 PM

We are the Starship Enterprise on a 5 year mission seeking out new life forms to prey on.

The Evangelical Christian version ... new life forms to pray on ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on November 04, 2016, 08:14:35 PM

My understanding of Star Trek is The Prime Directive, sometimes violated in specifics but generally adhered to as much as allowed by circumstances.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

The Prime Directive is strictly propaganda.  If you believe it, you're being manipulated by your leaders, and sold phony bills of goods by your teachers.

Sal1981

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2016, 09:05:41 AM
The Prime Directive is strictly propaganda.  If you believe it, you're being manipulated by your leaders, and sold phony bills of goods by your teachers.
There's a sign that says you shouldn't play on the grass? Let's play football.

Ro3bert

Quote from: Cavebear on October 22, 2016, 09:56:24 PM
Life does not have any more "purpose" than a light bulb has "thoughts".  Life is a random collection of atoms with replicability.  (and I had to really think of how to spell THAT one, LOL!).  Spellchecker still doesn't like it.  ;)

Dictionaries like it, at least WordWeb does and defines it: "Able to be replicated or reproduced" Able to be replicated or reproduced. :neener: :heehee:

Baruch

At least computer replication doesn't involve child support payments ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.