Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 19, 2016, 03:20:05 PM
I wonder what America will look like in fifty years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcKT5TFkfrE

Well once we were all colonial Englishmen.  Then there were French from Canada.  I suppose we went to Hell in a hndbasket then.  Oh wait, we managed.

Then there were Germans who came over.  They were considered vermin.  Oh wait, we survived THAT too.

So it must have been ruined when the Irish came.  Oh wait, they turned out to be fine citizens after a couple of generations.  So The US must have been ruined later. 

Yeah, when thos Italians arrived, that must be when we lost the country.  Hmm, but they turned out OK. 

BTW, were any of your ancestors one of "THEM"?  Hope not maybe you should go back where you came from! 

Etc, etc, etc. 

Every group that ever came here fit in after a couple of hard generations' work.  And it will be the same way in the future. 

Have you noticed that the political polls don't even HAVE a sub-group for us "original englishmen" any more.   I think that one went out about, oh 1850...

And even some of us "original" colonists aren't Protestant either.  My Dad was a vague "deist", my Mother was Catholic, my sister was sort of Earth Motherist, and I'm an atheist.  You don't like that, come burn a cross on my front lawn and we'll discuss it.  In fact if you want to discuss original religion, maybe you should talk to a Native American.  I can probably find one.

I hope you get my point...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

This is good, but I'm not overly optimistic. Sure, the reign of Christianity over US laws should be celebrated, but the end of one tyranny leaves open room for another. DarkMatter had a video on the subject. In a hypothetical future where religion becomes extinct, what will happen? DarkMatter argues that dogma is the root of the issue, not religion itself. Without religion, dogma will remain. It will outlast religion, and it will continue to make problems for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dspHj0Cj2-g

For example of a destructive dogma: http://eagnews.org/high-schooler-records-teachers-racism-lecture-to-be-white-is-to-be-racist-period/
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm Irish on my parents' side of the family. Eight couples left the same small town in the middle of the night and changed their names on Ellis Island.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Cavebear on October 19, 2016, 03:57:58 PM
Well once we were all colonial Englishmen.  Then there were French from Canada.  I suppose we went to Hell in a hndbasket then.  Oh wait, we managed.

Then there were Germans who came over.  They were considered vermin.  Oh wait, we survived THAT too.

So it must have been ruined when the Irish came.  Oh wait, they turned out to be fine citizens after a couple of generations.  So The US must have been ruined later. 

Yeah, when thos Italians arrived, that must be when we lost the country.  Hmm, but they turned out OK. 

BTW, were any of your ancestors one of "THEM"?  Hope not maybe you should go back where you came from! 

Etc, etc, etc. 

Every group that ever came here fit in after a couple of hard generations' work.  And it will be the same way in the future. 

Have you noticed that the political polls don't even HAVE a sub-group for us "original englishmen" any more.   I think that one went out about, oh 1850...

And even some of us "original" colonists aren't Protestant either.  My Dad was a vague "deist", my Mother was Catholic, my sister was sort of Earth Motherist, and I'm an atheist.  You don't like that, come burn a cross on my front lawn and we'll discuss it.  In fact if you want to discuss original religion, maybe you should talk to a Native American.  I can probably find one.

I hope you get my point...

Technically the English were the second wave. Third if you want to count the Norse. In any case the Spanish were in North America before the English.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Simon Moon

Quote from: Cavebear on October 19, 2016, 03:57:58 PM

Well...

Trump's (Drumpf) ancestors came over from Germany.

So... it is still a bit premature to say we survived that.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 19, 2016, 07:35:33 PM
Ripple is probably an overstatement too, but they were here.
Well, there is that church in Greenland, evidence that they hung around this hemisphere for a few centuries, in whatever numbers.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Fortunately once we are past family and society, we can individually do anything ... is that a good thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw

Y'all Gentiles can kiss my kosher tuches ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

Good. I was brought up with the idea that America is about diversity, and I abhor this "culture war" being waged against my country by white conservative Christians. They think they are America. They are NOT the America I grew up in.

This is another reason why I want to see Trump and the Republicans go down in flames. I want them to lose the culture war they started.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Urban sophisticate?  You will always be a minority in any society.  But not a bad minority.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.