News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Contact lost with new Mars probe

Started by PopeyesPappy, October 19, 2016, 02:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on October 22, 2016, 07:40:44 AM
Mars is sort of a graveyard of landers.  But I'm confused a bit.  I thought we (collectively) had figured out how to use bouncing bubble-wrap (so to speak) and dropped-near-surface techniques.  Did this one try something new or did a previously successful way fail?
There are a variety of ways of doing it, each with their advantages and disadvantages.  According to the link I posted, its parachute was jettisoned too early and its retrorockets didn't activate for as long as they should have.  Basically, it didn't hit the brakes long enough.  End result:  splat.

Baruch

My usual theory ... is that they are using Windows, and they got a corrupted Registry when they did an app update ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

"Splat".  Got it.  You know, until we can put landers safely on Mars routinely, I'm not going to volunteer for the trip...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 22, 2016, 08:33:07 AM
Bubble-wrap is okay if you don't want to stick the landing, and your pay load is very rugged. There's a whole lot of bouncing goin' on in that system.

Curiosity used the sky-crane system, it worked once but no guarantees it will work every time.

Schiaparelli just used rockets, rather like trying to soft land a Gemini capsule.

It has always been a Russian thing ... to land on hard ground, not in the sea like the US.  So they should have known how to do that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 22, 2016, 08:46:51 AM
"Splat".  Got it.  You know, until we can put landers safely on Mars routinely, I'm not going to volunteer for the trip...

Don't want your 15 minutes of fame like those other dopes?  Early steam trains were death traps too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

A lot of the problems associated with early steam trains were scheduling related. i.e. two trains were scheduled to occupy the space space at the same time. If memory serves it's one of the main reasons we have set time zones today.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on October 22, 2016, 08:47:46 AM
It has always been a Russian thing ... to land on hard ground, not in the sea like the US.  So they should have known how to do that.
They landed on the ground because it was such a big target, and they were paranoid that if landed in the sea some fascist navy would get the capsule before they did. /history

I would note that it wasn't always successful for them.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on October 22, 2016, 08:46:51 AM
Just give it a few years.

Mars is going to look really nice in the future.

Cavebear

After 10K years of microbial engineering?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 22, 2016, 11:29:44 AM
After 10K years of microbial engineering?

We are already terraforming this planet ... to death ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.