News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Contact lost with new Mars probe

Started by PopeyesPappy, October 19, 2016, 02:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

The joint ESA-Russian Schiaparelli probe was scheduled to land on Mars today, but there has been no contact with the probe since it began its descent into the Martian atmosphere.

Not a good sign...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

aitm

fucking martians.....we may have to go over there and kick their ass for fucking wit it.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Nonsensei

Shit happens in space travel. Probes failing to successfully land is something every space agency is familiar with. Russians have an extensive history of failed probes.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Hydra009

Gawdzilla Sama

Message received!

[spoiler]'Are we there yet?"[/spoiler]
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 19, 2016, 02:32:32 PM
The joint ESA-Russian Schiaparelli probe was scheduled to land on Mars today, but there has been no contact with the probe since it began its descent into the Martian atmosphere.

Not a good sign...

Like NASA ... curse of the lowest bidder ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on October 19, 2016, 09:07:57 PM
Like NASA ... curse of the lowest bidder ;-(

Not necessarily. NASA lost the Mars Polar Lander because one team used metric and another used English units. It was a NASA engineering quality control SNAFU not a low bid contractor issue.

Baruch

Quote from: Baruch on October 19, 2016, 09:42:25 PM
The QC team was probably a contractor that NASA hired.  Called an integrating contractor ... I have known a few.  NASA hasn't done their own work for decades.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Sorry but no. I was a NASA contractor supporting space shuttle and space station operations for decades less than decades ago. The people sitting at the consoles at Goddard and JPL telling these satellites what to do are NASA employees not contractors. That includes the QC people. I know. I've sat in enough meetings with them.

PopeyesPappy

Did I accidentally put your last post in quotes when making my reply, Baruch?

Atheon

We lost our Martian rocket ship, the high paid spokesman said
Looks like that silly rocket ship has lost its cone shaped head
We spent ninety jillion dollars trying to get a look at Mars
I hear universal laughter ringing out among the stars
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Atheon on October 19, 2016, 10:35:28 PM
We lost our Martian rocket ship, the high paid spokesman said
Looks like that silly rocket ship has lost its cone shaped head
We spent ninety jillion dollars trying to get a look at Mars
I hear universal laughter ringing out among the stars
The lander was supposed to work for a few days. The new satellite can stay up there for years. It's all relative.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 19, 2016, 09:49:00 PM
Sorry but no. I was a NASA contractor supporting space shuttle and space station operations for decades less than decades ago. The people sitting at the consoles at Goddard and JPL telling these satellites what to do are NASA employees not contractors. That includes the QC people. I know. I've sat in enough meetings with them.

Good for you.  Space Shuttle much?  I was on a contractor on a development team that lost a satellite launch (not from Space Shuttle).  We rocket scientists are all powerful, bow down and worship our ... science.  I guess our actual experience (with aerospace in general) isn't consistent ... so reality mustn't be consistent.  All government work, direct or contractor, is dependent on politics.

In other non-space work since, I have seen related government failure ... keep trying to save them from themselves but ... who will save he contracting company from their mistakes?  I will tell you what works, repeated failure, but not giving up, but with the non-PC ability to correct mistakes.  I have seen projects killed, that could have worked, but the management/customer gave up.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 19, 2016, 09:50:17 PM
Did I accidentally put your last post in quotes when making my reply, Baruch?

Nope, that was my duplicate entry, and I removed one, and didn't bother to remove the superfluous quotes on the one I saved.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 20, 2016, 06:22:08 AM
The lander was supposed to work for a few days. The new satellite can stay up there for years. It's all relative.

Sometimes ground control can jigger a response from a lost probe, but might take several months ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.