Using viruses to treat MRSA infections

Started by PopeyesPappy, October 18, 2016, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 19, 2016, 07:12:08 AM

Like I said, it is as simple as everyone taking their damn shoes off (in some locations).  I work in a clinic, have for almost 20 years, and I have known this since I started, that we apply bandaids to a sieve.

You jest sir!  Taking ones shoes off indoors (or somewhere) will cure disease?  Do you also still believe in bloodletting?  Does someone in a mask dancing around you aid in your health?

I am a descendent of people who survived Bubonic and Pnuemonial Plague, Smallpox, and all sorts of Influenzas.  In all my adult life, I have never once caught The Common Cold or Flu (but so mildly at 12).  I earned that genetic protection one gene at a time through the survival of some ancestors and the deaths of others.

How dare you say that some of my loser ancestors would have survived had they merely taken off their shoes in their mud&wattle dirt-floored serf huts!   
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 19, 2016, 09:23:24 AM
You jest sir!  Taking ones shoes off indoors (or somewhere) will cure disease?  Do you also still believe in bloodletting?  Does someone in a mask dancing around you aid in your health?

I am a descendent of people who survived Bubonic and Pnuemonial Plague, Smallpox, and all sorts of Influenzas.  In all my adult life, I have never once caught The Common Cold or Flu (but so mildly at 12).  I earned that genetic protection one gene at a time through the survival of some ancestors and the deaths of others.

How dare you say that some of my loser ancestors would have survived had they merely taken off their shoes in their mud&wattle dirt-floored serf huts!

You don't comprehend well ;-)  Stop putting dirt and shit everywhere ... and maybe the medical process will be more successful.  Lay people are just like doctors 150 years ago, who couldn't comprehend how gentlemen like them should disinfect their hands between patients.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

so a bacteriophage is an illness that is fatal to bacteria; just like the common cold was fatal to millions of native Americans?

I think the biggest vector in the hospitals is the A/C system. The thing is constantly moving air from one part of the hospital to another. How much effort is put into sterilizing the air coming from a sick person's bed before dumping it on healthy people?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on May 27, 2017, 12:21:59 PM
so a bacteriophage is an illness that is fatal to bacteria; just like the common cold was fatal to millions of native Americans?

I think the biggest vector in the hospitals is the A/C system. The thing is constantly moving air from one part of the hospital to another. How much effort is put into sterilizing the air coming from a sick person's bed before dumping it on healthy people?

I work in a medical facility.  You are correct .. A/C is bad.  So are floors that can't be scrubbed germ free (we had anti-bacterial carpets at one point ... stupid).  That and people should take their shoes off (like in Japan) and put on disposable booties and put on disposable face covers, at all times.  But people in general, and Americans in particular ... are filthy.  Our cleaning crew has to work non-stop to try to keep the soft tile floors clean (we got rid of the carpet).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

And hospitals worry about bacterial infections?  My last stay in a hospital, a woman came in to mop the floors once a week.  I didn't smell any disinfectant, so I assumed there wasn't any.  I just rolled my eyes, but didn't say anything.  I guess it's good to kind of smear the dirt around less you end up with a hot pocket of festering goo.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 27, 2017, 01:49:16 PM
And hospitals worry about bacterial infections?  My last stay in a hospital, a woman came in to mop the floors once a week.  I didn't smell any disinfectant, so I assumed there wasn't any.  I just rolled my eyes, but didn't say anything.  I guess it's good to kind of smear the dirt around less you end up with a hot pocket of festering goo.

Penny wise, pound foolish ... this is why a Q-tip costs $5 apiece after insurance.  Gotta pay for those administrators.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

don't forget the mop itself. I worked in a restaurant long enough to know that if you don't bleach the mop and rinse it off before mopping the floor, the customers will be complaining all day about how much the place stinks. (not everybody cleans the mop before they clean a floor)
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

We may be returning to the days when hospitals were where  sick people went to get sicker and die.  I know I'll fight tooth and nail to stay out of one.  I don't even like the Dr's waiting room.  Its full of people sicker than I am and with stuff I don't have.

Mopping?  I've never seen it done in a hospital.  They assume the place is sterile.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 18, 2017, 07:24:02 AM
We may be returning to the days when hospitals were where  sick people went to get sicker and die.  I know I'll fight tooth and nail to stay out of one.  I don't even like the Dr's waiting room.  Its full of people sicker than I am and with stuff I don't have.

Mopping?  I've never seen it done in a hospital.  They assume the place is sterile.  LOL!

Already happening, per statistics over the last 10 years.  Sorry, but apes are dirty creatures.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.