Annimated Map of the Spread of Religions

Started by SGOS, October 17, 2016, 09:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

A few mistakes .... early Hinduism probably wasn't Indus Valley, but was brought in by the Aryans coming in from Central Asia.  The diaspora of Jews wasn't shown, but it would be hard to show a minority.  Christianity in Ethiopia was much earlier than they showed ... also the pre-Islam penetration of Christianity into Persia and beyond wasn't show (part of the reason why Persians are Shia).  Of course most of this spread was by conquest ... not legitimate persuasion.  Also for that reason ... the conversion of non-Muslims to Islam was much slower than shown.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on October 17, 2016, 08:19:10 PM
A few mistakes .... early Hinduism probably wasn't Indus Valley, but was brought in by the Aryans coming in from Central Asia.  The diaspora of Jews wasn't shown, but it would be hard to show a minority.  Christianity in Ethiopia was much earlier than they showed ... also the pre-Islam penetration of Christianity into Persia and beyond wasn't show (part of the reason why Persians are Shia).  Of course most of this spread was by conquest ... not legitimate persuasion.  Also for that reason ... the conversion of non-Muslims to Islam was much slower than shown.

Yeah, I noticed that Islam spread remarkably fast, although I didn't question it.   I noticed Judaism almost disappear completely from the holy land, but didn't see it spread.  On the map, it almost appeared to get wiped out.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 17, 2016, 08:28:35 PM
Yeah, I noticed that Islam spread remarkably fast, although I didn't question it.   I noticed Judaism almost disappear completely from the holy land, but didn't see it spread.  On the map, it almost appeared to get wiped out.

It really shows the spread of related political influence, rather than conversion.  The political part happens quick, the old king is killed, and the new king who happens to be Hindu says ... we are now Hindus now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I watched it again, and after Judaism disappeared from the holy land, I noticed little specks of blue, like fine ground pepper, show up in small pockets all over Europe.

Cavebear

It is worth mentioning that the Islam world attacked the Christian European one to begin with.  First all along the northern coast of Africa where the rule was "Convert to Islam or Die" all along into Spain.  And then into Eastern Europe with the same conversion rule.

Islamists becry the Crusaders.  But Europe was attacked by Vikings from the North, Islamists from the South and SE, and Huns/Mongols from Asia not long before.

The splintered kingdoms of Europe,faced with attacks from 3 sides eventually formed fearsome military structures in defense.  The Islamic Moors in Spain met their match in the Frankish armies of Charles The Hammer, The Vikings were assimilated in France and England, and the Danes and Poles slowly drove the Huns out IIRC.  I could use a refresher course on that maybe...

But the Islamist invasions are definite.  So when I read about Islmist claims about being attacked, I can only laugh,  Historywise...

And I don't especially admire the crazy Christians.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Poland was quite the military power from 1600 - 1700.  People shouldn't joke about it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.