Amy Goodman could go to prison for journalism

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, October 17, 2016, 02:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

QuoteBismarck, North Dakotaâ€"October 15, 2016 â€" A North Dakota state prosecutor has sought to charge award-winning journalist Amy Goodman with participating in a "riot" for filming an attack on Native American-led anti-pipeline protesters. The new charge comes after the prosecutor dropped criminal trespassing charges.

State’s Attorney Ladd R. Erickson filed the new charges on Friday before District Judge John Grinsteiner who will decide on Monday (October 17) whether probable cause exists for the riot charge.

Goodman has travelled to North Dakota to face the charges and will appear at Morton County court on Monday at 1:30 p.m. local time (CDT) if the charges are approved.

"I came back to North Dakota to fight a trespass charge. They saw that they could never make that charge stick, so now they want to charge me with rioting," said Goodman. "I wasn’t trespassing, I wasn’t engaging in a riot, I was doing my job as a journalist by covering a violent attack on Native American protesters."
http://m.democracynow.org/web_exclusives/3034
There's more..
https://youtu.be/OQnlkFfgQZI

So this is what it's coming to.. Journalists jailed for reporting news of private security firms sicking dogs on peaceful protesters.. Pretty disgusting shit..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

drunkenshoe

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/democracy-now-reporter-amy-goodman-charged-with-rioting-after-filming-attack-on-protesters-north-a7364821.html

QuoteMs Goodman was charged after she filmed Native American protesters being attacked on September 3 as they protested against the building of the controversial North Dakota Access Pipeline near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation, close to the town of Cannon Ball.

This story feels pretty at home with me.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

If the United States can find anyway to screw over anyone who dares mentions the continued human right's failure that is our treatment of the Native Americans... they will.

The criminal and inhumane treatment of the Amerinds is astonishing, but no one cares and people with a voice who want to bring attention to it are silenced one way or another.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Not just Native Americans.  Basically establishes the right of the authorities to legally ban all filming of police action (except for their own chest cameras, which you don't have access too, it is classified).  This is the leading edge of Obama's criminalizing all public action that he and Hillary dislike.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Strange, my memory of Amy Goodman go way back to when I was a kid. Well, maybe not quite that far back, but her collumn was carried in a newspaper in Dayton Ohio quite some time ago. I'm probably confusing her with someone else, but it also seems my mother used to read it... No wait.. ELLEN Goodman.. No wonder the name was so familiar..both women,  both very liberal minded, both journalist.. No relation that I could find..

SGOS

Attack dogs by private security?  Where were the police?  I can't believe the police weren't there.  The protest was well organized enough to have the press there, and private security was organized enough to bring attack dogs.  It's hard to believe the police weren't expecting trouble.  The police should have been there.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: SGOS on October 17, 2016, 01:08:26 PM
Attack dogs by private security?  Where were the police?  I can't believe the police weren't there.  The protest was well organized enough to have the press there, and private security was organized enough to bring attack dogs.  It's hard to believe the police weren't expecting trouble.  The police should have been there.
the police WERE there and that's why Goodman is facing the trumped up charges..   Private security firms don't have the power (officially) to bring charges through the states prosecutors office unless there's some kind of sweetheart deal.. Nahhh..that couldn't happen now could it?

SGOS

I didn't see any police in the video, just civilians.  That was like watching a Hollywood movie about a dystopian future.  I always expected attack dogs to be unleashed, but they just walk up to a person with a leashed dog and let the dog bite him for awhile.  It's spooky the way they just stand there and watch the dogs.  Maybe it's not as bad as it looks but there's something sickening about watching the handlers.  Where the Hell do they get those people?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 17, 2016, 01:08:26 PM

Inverse Selma Alabama, with inverse water canon.

I hear a judge thru out the charges against Ms Goodman.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.