News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A Question for Everyone...

Started by alexxmedeiros, October 14, 2016, 12:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: sthubbar on October 15, 2016, 08:57:08 AM
Hmm, I'm new to this forum.  Why was he banned?

QuoteRule 3. Proselytizing (attempts to convert people to a religion/belief system by means of preaching) is allowed as long as intelligent discourse follows, and as long as it is not spam. Repeatedly posting verses from your favourite holy book as “evidence” of your favourite deity is not considered intelligent discourse and can result in thread locking and, eventually, a ban.

I'd have let it go if he could have kept his repeated bullshit about no one can know anything without god confined to a couple of threads, but he couldn't. I warned him about this exact thing early on.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Cavebear on October 15, 2016, 09:05:24 AM
Lets consider any statement that I might be wrong about.   Suggest one.

Well according to Alexx you can't be right about anything if it wasn't revealed to you by his god.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

How can we have debates when the other side is getting banned?

For debates to be productive, they require an element of reason.  This guy didn't demonstrate any such inclination.  He was bobbing and weaving, making wild claims, and ducking when challenged.  Some people identify such behavior as trolling, (which I would agree with), but even if it's done out of ignorance, it presents a wall in communication that cannot be breached in any rational way.  The reason he was given so much leeway to begin with was probably because the mods needed to see if he was capable of rational communication.  If he's a troll, who cares?  If he's mentally challenged, that's sad, but unfortunately in that case, he doesn't belong here.

sthubbar

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 15, 2016, 09:02:16 AM
No preaching, no conversion propaganda. Reading the rules is a good thing.

Maybe he was banned for behavior in another thread.

Was he warned or just banned?

Cavebear

Hydra009

Quote from: sthubbar on October 15, 2016, 08:57:08 AMHow can we have debates when the other side is getting banned?
Were we having a debate?

Cavebear

Agreed.  Both parties in a debate have to discuss things as adults.  When one side is irrational, it isn't a debate.

Baruch

Hmm, I'm new to this forum.  Why was he banned?

Isn't this forum also for believers and the category of this forum says "The Debate Hall -> Informal Debates"

How can we have debates when the other side is getting banned?

If he was telling the truth, he was a young person that might still be reachable.  After 30 it's pretty much too late.

Sometimes regulars debate on if a purgatory or ban was appropriate.  Randy has some knowledge of Catholicism ... so he is in purgatory.  Alex was a gerbil, no meat on him yet.  Sorry, as a parent I can say, people aren't reachable after 6 years old.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

sthubbar

Quote from: Cavebear on October 15, 2016, 10:21:25 AM
Agreed.  Both parties in a debate have to discuss things as adults.  When one side is irrational, it isn't a debate.

Hmm, if we are assuming that atheism is the rational side, then any discussion is impossible.  The challenge seems to be, how might it be possible to engage with those who are irrational / brain washed / deluded.

SGOS

Quote from: sthubbar on October 15, 2016, 08:04:05 PM
Hmm, if we are assuming that atheism is the rational side, then any discussion is impossible.  The challenge seems to be, how might it be possible to engage with those who are irrational / brain washed / deluded.

If you figure out how to engage the irrational, they'll give you a Nobel Prize.  I myself will present you with a sword and henceforth address you as Sthubbar the Mighty.

Baruch

There are two kinds of people, those who take that position, and those who don't.  Many people here are in the first category.  I am one of the few in the second category, because I am willing to call bullshit on anyone.  But some religious posters, are just chew toys.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Baruch on October 15, 2016, 11:18:21 PM
There are two kinds of people, those who take that position, and those who don't.
Actually, there are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Mostly rational people can hold some irrational beliefs. And they can discuss them rationally. Jesuits, for example.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Baruch on October 15, 2016, 01:48:40 PM
Sometimes regulars debate on if a purgatory or ban was appropriate.  Randy has some knowledge of Catholicism ... so he is in purgatory.  Alex was a gerbil, no meat on him yet.  Sorry, as a parent I can say, people aren't reachable after 6 years old.
I dunno.  I have had some excellent discussions (not debates) with believers.  I count some quite devout believers among my friends -- and I have tremendous respect for a born-again friend of mine who said, early in our friendship, that he was praying for me and that was the last thing he would say to me about my beliefs -- and it was.  He has not mentioned it since, and it's been more than 25 years.  I respect faith like that (regardless of whether I agree with it), and I respect respect like that.

It's all a matter of respect.  He respects my right to believe for myself, and vice versa.  Some of my believer friends simply don't raise the subject knowing no one is going to convince anyone else, and I respect that and don't raise it in return.  Some of them are willing to discuss the matter in purely theoretical terms without any attempt at proselytizing, and I respect that (and will play by those rules) too.

I repeat, it's just a matter of respect.  If someone comes on this site and demands that they're right because of their ancient and mistranslated book with no room for actual discussion, I have no compunction coming down on them with hobnailed boots on, swinging a two-by-four with embedded nails as I do so.

If someone asks a legitimate question, I feel obliged to offer a legitimate answer.  Fair is fair is fair.  Fundamentally, if my beliefs are fair game for discussion, so are theirs.  The ones who are still my friends are those who feel the same way, even when they are believers themselves.  And there are some out there, even among the self-proclaimed 'born again' or 'orthodox'.

They make me feel obliged to be an example by being a good example for the non-religious life, rather than by talking about it, and I cannot help but think that that's a good thing.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan