News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jesus Christ is King

Started by alexxmedeiros, October 14, 2016, 12:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 14, 2016, 06:44:10 AM
Talking to the religious on this forum is a guilty pleasure of mine.

It's OK for a while, but every once in a while, I feel the gibberish taking hold of my mind, and I begin to enter a bizarre world where up can be down, left is right, and fantasy can be real.  I start to get a feel for what believing nonsense might require and be like, but letting go of reality is a scary thing.  For me anyway. 

People in insane asylums let go of reality and look where they end up.  Christians let go of reality and end up in church.  I don't want to go to either of those places, because I don't want to be with crazy people.  I don't think it's particularly healthy.  It certainly wouldn't be productive.  Letting go of reality in a Harry Potter movie, is different.  You know it's not real, so you just let your imagination take you on a temporary flight of fancy, knowing that when it's over reality will still be there.  But people in asylums and church actually believe in the fantasy, and they don't turn it off when they go home.

OK, I started off this post making a joke, but "many a truth is said in jest."  The truth is that letting go of reality is a frightening thought for me.  I like reality.

Gawdzilla Sama

OP, will you give us equal time for a science class at your church next Sunday?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

So, how long until this one gets banned?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 12:35:39 AM

None of this is my doing but it is the power of the Holy Spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that was the case why does he need you to type this mush? Seems like good ole god can't do anything like he used to. Why back when the sky was water and women unclean all the time, god could smite nations (after three tries mind you)-(and except if they had iron chariots) and create all kinds of havoc what with locusts and famine and floods....jeepers, all he does now a days is give us an image of jesus on a grilled cheese sammich, and looky here....now he can't even type his own posts,,,gotta have smithers here do it for him...

Poor god, kinda feel sorry for the joe,,ain't got no juice no more....Hey, that sounds like a good song title!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PopeyesPappy

Thank you for allowing me to be apart of your forums.

My name is Alexxander Medeiros, I am a 20 year old Christian, Husband and Entrepreneur. The reason I joined this forum is proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ and expose the absolute folly of atheism.

I am here not as your enemy but as your big brother, your best friend. I love you all and our interaction is no mistake. It was divinely planned by God and as you interact with me and see the truth of Jesus Christ it will do one of two things to you.

It will either harden you in your rebellion against God therefore increasing your judgement or it will soften your heart and pull you closer to God.

None of this is my doing but it is the power of the Holy Spirit.

I look forward to engaging with you all, God bless.

[mod]THE RULES

3. Proselytizing (attempts to convert people to a religion/belief system by means of preaching) is allowed as long as intelligent discourse follows, and as long as it is not spam. Repeatedly posting verses from your favourite holy book as “evidence” of your favourite deity is not considered intelligent discourse and can result in thread locking and, eventually, a ban. Please note that most members here are former believers and we’ve all heard the usual pro-religion arguments (Kalaam, Pascal’s wager, irreducible complexity, etc.) hundreds of times. If you want to convince us, please at least try to come out with something original.[/mod]

On a personal note your big brother bullshit is condescending. I've got shirts older than you.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 14, 2016, 09:55:32 AM
On a personal note your big brother bullshit is condescending. I've got shirts older than you.

It's not condescending, it is childish. And I get a tingling sense when you talk like that.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 14, 2016, 10:20:31 AM
And I get a tingling sense when you talk like that.

Hey Pap..looks like you could walk right up and grab her by the pu.....er.....hand.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Alex ... the best preaching isn't with the mouth or keyboard ... it is with good deeds.  Try some then visit again.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

My name is Alexxander Medeiros, I am a 20 year old Christian, Husband and Entrepreneur.
Come back when your balls drop.

Equal opportunity butt-stabber.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: SGOS on October 14, 2016, 05:12:31 AM
"Jesus Christ is King"

The story goes that he was an itinerant preacher.  He was not a king with royal authority.  Some people said he was a king.  He may have said it himself.  Apparently the Roman authorities sentenced him to death because he proclaimed to be a king.  And the Romans were actually correct.  He was an itinerant preacher, probably with dirty feet, but he was most certainly no king.  Not that he should be crucified for that, but he was charged correctly.  He was just making stuff up when he said he was a king.

Christians make a big deal about Jesus being a king.  But that's silly nonsense.  Yes, there are songs about Jesus being a king, but songs don't make a king.  You can call him a king if you like the songs, and if you think kings are better than itinerant preachers.  Just don't take yourself seriously.

Actually, if we are talking about historical Jesus, who is not the same as mythic Jesus, there is quite a bit about who he should have been.

Aside - since historical Jesus and mythic Jesus are not the same, if some fundie ever does find proof of historical Jesus it will absolutely not prove them right about religious matters.

So, historical Jesus.  The genealogies listed in the Bible show him as a descendant of King Maccabeus, who is allegedly a descendant of Solomon bin David.  Maccabeus was the last native king of that land, having asked the Romans to help him throw the Greeks out.  But those pesky Romans didn't leave once the Greeks were gone.

All descendants of Maccabeus were expected to try to throw out the Romans, just as Maccabeus threw out the Greeks.  The procession into Jerusalem and the throwing the money changers out of the temple were parallel to those same actions taken a few generations earlier.

Then there is the encounter of Jesus and John the Baptist.  A sun-fried addled John saw Jesus and said "uh, are you supposed to bow to me, or am I supposed to bow to you?"  They were, after all, cousins and both could theoretically claim to be the heir of Maccabeus.

So he would be less than an actual king, but more than some mere itinerant preacher.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

SGOS

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on October 14, 2016, 03:32:34 PM
Actually, if we are talking about historical Jesus,

I was talking about the Bible Jesus.  That's the only one that is important to me.  If there were an actual historical Jesus, he would be no more than a curiosity that might have been used as a starting point for the myth. 

Quote"The genealogies listed in the Bible show him as a descendant of King Maccabeus, who is allegedly a descendant of Solomon bin David."

This is interesting.  I remember puzzling over something in some version of the Bible that connected Jesus to a David.  To me it suggested a patriarchal relationship of some sort which didn't fit with the rest of the story.  It seems like I recall words on the order of "son of David," or something like that.  I didn't worry about it much.  It was the Bible, and I wasn't about to worry about a confusing minor detail when the bigger problems centered around magically appearing loaves of bread, and the like.

Gawdzilla Sama

Thank you for allowing me to be apart of your forums.

My name is Alexxander Medeiros, I am a 20 year old Christian, Husband and Entrepreneur. The reason I joined this forum is proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ and expose the absolute folly of atheism.

You do realize that the first penis in Mary's vagina was her son's, right?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

I look forward to engaging with you all, God bless.

I didn't sneeze.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

aitm