News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christianophobes

Started by GSOgymrat, October 13, 2016, 09:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

What's the phobia where you're afraid of running out of booze?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 25, 2016, 05:10:29 PM
What's the phobia where you're afraid of running out of booze?

They just call that alcoholism.

baronvonrort

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 13, 2016, 09:34:30 AM
I learned a new word today: Christianophobia.

When muslims start ranting about Jews or Israel call them a Judeophobe and watch their reaction.

Perhaps it's long overdue for people to stop using the slur Islamophobe with critics of Islam

Jack89

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on October 25, 2016, 01:51:48 PM
Anti-Muslim bigotry is a very big problem in the West. Islamaphobia is a term that was invented by a Muslim trying to make the point that you're a bigot for criticizing a religion. That is dumb, so I don't accept the term, but anti-Muslim bigotry is a very real problem.

If someone thinks the term Christianophobe is stupid and doesn't want to use it, that's fine too. If they think "here comes the crazy" when they see someone talking about their religion, that's fine too, as long as they don't think that Christian, Muslim, Jew, or atheist should be treated like shit or discriminated against just for being of that religion (or non-religion).
It really depends on the religion.  I think it's appropriate to discriminate against a religion or ideology if it's core doctrine promotes coercive violence to spread or enforce their belief.  I look at Christian and Jewish doctrine and there is no threat, just as I see atheists as no threat.  I look at Islamic doctrine, however, and I see a threat, especially if you're gay, trans, atheist, Christian, Jew, and just about anyone who's not Muslim.
Now if Christians and Jews started enforcing Leviticus law with their proscribed punishments again, then by all means, discriminate.  And if the vast majority of Islamic countries didn't enforce Sharia law through violence, up to and including death, I might agree with you. 

Blackleaf

Quote from: Jack89 on October 25, 2016, 08:25:39 PM
It really depends on the religion.  I think it's appropriate to discriminate against a religion or ideology if it's core doctrine promotes coercive violence to spread or enforce their belief.  I look at Christian and Jewish doctrine and there is no threat, just as I see atheists as no threat.  I look at Islamic doctrine, however, and I see a threat, especially if you're gay, trans, atheist, Christian, Jew, and just about anyone who's not Muslim.
Now if Christians and Jews started enforcing Leviticus law with their proscribed punishments again, then by all means, discriminate.  And if the vast majority of Islamic countries didn't enforce Sharia law through violence, up to and including death, I might agree with you.

Even Muslims aren't safe from Muslims. When Muslims differ in their beliefs in the slightest, they're called "hypocrites." These people are not "real Muslims" and are fair game. Seriously, if we were still living in the times before the Roman empire was formed, this kind of behavior would be par for the course. But in the 21st Century? This religion needs to die and die fast.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Jack89 on October 25, 2016, 08:25:39 PMIt really depends on the religion.  I think it's appropriate to discriminate against a religion or ideology if it's core doctrine promotes coercive violence to spread or enforce their belief.
Their core doctrines are similarly repulsive (it'd take a very strange reading of the OT to make it jive with modern social norms), it's just that adherents have by and large accepted Western secular norms to the point that the barbarism found in their holy books is now practically unthinkable to them.  Unfortunately, that transformation has been decidedly less widespread in the Muslim world.  Though of course, I'm talking in general terms - there are plenty of Muslims who have a very similar outlook as their Christians and Jewish counterparts.  But even so, if you ask people questions that you think no sane, humane person could possibly support - like killing apostates - and a disturbingly large amount of hands shoot up.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 23, 2016, 01:11:49 PM
Just remember this. If you're an atheist you've proven that you don't believe in anything at all. Products made from the trunks of trees are called wood? Absolutely not. If you're an atheist you can't believe that because you can't believe in anything.

In fact, if you are reading this right now you can't possibly believe that I wrote it because being an atheist you can't believe anything including the possibility that you've actually read this far.

There is a difference in not "believing" in unproven matters and accepting observed facts.  I accept wood" because I can observe it, test, it, act on it, etc.  What I don't accept is that there are "spirits" in wood, and that is what theists can accept.

I can accept what you write as something you wrote because it is there on the screen.  The MEANING and VALUE of what you wrote is entirely separate, but your words ARE there.

Is the difference between magical thinking and reality really so slight to you?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 26, 2016, 01:32:05 AM
There is a difference in not "believing" in unproven matters and accepting observed facts.  I accept wood" because I can observe it, test, it, act on it, etc.  What I don't accept is that there are "spirits" in wood, and that is what theists can accept.

I can accept what you write as something you wrote because it is there on the screen.  The MEANING and VALUE of what you wrote is entirely separate, but your words ARE there.

Is the difference between magical thinking and reality really so slight to you?

Psst. I think they were being sarcastic.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

I wasn't.  I treat questions seriously.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on October 25, 2016, 01:51:48 PM
Anti-Muslim bigotry is a very big problem in the West. Islamaphobia is a term that was invented by a Muslim trying to make the point that you're a bigot for criticizing a religion. That is dumb, so I don't accept the term, but anti-Muslim bigotry is a very real problem.

Yeah...but then Western culture is based on a massive hypocritical political correctness that defines every of its issues with other cultures, minorities and makes constant political benefit and economical profit from it.

Every other term to point out the racism and violent xenophobia is rendered useless by the culture, becaıse it defines itself free from it. And there is a need of a term to point that out. People get killed in the US because they look like muslims.

Any kind of term coined to express that vilent bigotry will get the same blacklash you express here. We cannot pretend that muslims and christians are in the same positions, because they are not.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Controlling the narrative, so that the ME sees itself as the West wants it to see itself ... is winning.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 26, 2016, 05:31:56 AM
Yeah...but then Western culture is based on a massive hypocritical political correctness that defines every of its issues with other cultures, minorities and makes constant political benefit and economical profit from it.

Every other term to point out the racism and violent xenophobia is rendered useless by the culture, becaıse it defines itself free from it. And there is a need of a term to point that out. People get killed in the US because they look like muslims.

Any kind of term coined to express that vilent bigotry will get the same blacklash you express here. We cannot pretend that muslims and christians are in the same positions, because they are not.