Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christianophobes

Started by GSOgymrat, October 13, 2016, 09:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 22, 2016, 01:53:51 PM
I prefer theistphobe.

Theistphobe works for me.  But then, so does "atheist".  But sometimes you need to point out to particular believers that you not just not one of THEM but rather not one of their larger subset.

It cracks me up when someone realizes I am not Christian, then assumes I must be Jewish. And then not Jewish, so maybe Bhuddist?  ROTFLOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

A phobia would suggest an irrational fear of someone or something. No, whenever I'm faced with a theist blathering on about god is good god is great or yelling Allah akbar, the thought that plays in my head is "oh dammit another crazy".

If it were a phobia, I'd be afraid of anyone even remotely believing in something like that, but since some of my family and a few friends believe in something religious, even my mother believing in angels, clearly it's not a phobia, just indigestion from facepalming so much.

The ones who made up the terms Christianaphobe or islamaphobe do so because in their eyes, their beliefs are rational and anyone not agreeing it's the only right way of thinking must be the irrational ones.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

Also reading so much bullshit causes stupidophobia. But contrary to other phobias this one doesn't cause any desire to change, but results in sarcasm, insult, and screaming your head off to the object of fear, usually because it is often literally a subject supporting an empty space between ears. 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 23, 2016, 06:13:14 AM
Also reading so much bullshit causes stupidophobia. But contrary to other phobias this one doesn't cause any desire to change, but results in sarcasm, insult, and screaming your head off to the object of fear, usually because it is often literally a subject supporting an empty space between ears.
You are describing much of the American South.  Except that now, much of that lack of thinking has spread into the middle of the country, as well.  As I have said before, I simply call the SFA's.  Stupid Fucking Americans.  We have quite a crop of them these days.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

AllPurposeAtheist

Just remember this. If you're an atheist you've proven that you don't believe in anything at all. Products made from the trunks of trees are called wood? Absolutely not. If you're an atheist you can't believe that because you can't believe in anything.
In fact, if you are reading this right now you can't possibly believe that I wrote it because being an atheist you can't believe anything including the possibility that you've actually read this far.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm a blank-a-phobe which is the irrational fear that anything proceeding the suffix phobe has to be fake or in every way possible harmful and dangerous to our way of life. Wait,  would the part, phobe be a suffix or would it be aphobe? It it a suffix at all as a part of speech? 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jack89

More poisonous identity politics, on the part of Hillary if the leaks are true, and on the part of the people exposing them, to include the media.  How about we look at the issues for once.  I don't need to be goaded into not voting for Hillary by someone pushing my religious button, her political stances do that just fine.  Just the fact that she proposes an action that will necessitate starting a war with Syria and Russia are enough for me, but she has plenty of other strikes against her that just seal the deal. 

FaithIsFilth

Going by the description in the OP, I have no problem accepting the term Christianophobia, and I'm someone who does not accept the term Islamaphobia. This is not a new term for me. I've heard it for years. In the OP, the guy quoted was talking about people's thoughts towards Christians in general, and not their thoughts about Christianity. So, he doesn't appear to be saying that being anti-Christianity makes you Christianophobic, but only being anti-Christian makes you that. I agree with this. I do not accept Islamaphobia, because it is used against people who are anti-Muslim OR just simply anti-Islam, and being anti a religion does not make one any kind of phobe. If you say fuck all Christians, I hate them all, then that makes you a bigot and a Christianophobe. At least they were smart enough to call it Christianophobia and not Christianityaphobia. If they used the name of their religion rather than the followers of their religion, I wouldn't accept the term.

doorknob

To say I'm afraid of christians is false. I don't even hate christians them selves necessarily but I do hate christianity for the lying sack of shit that it is and all the harm it causes.

Mike Cl

Christianity did not just pop out of nowhere without it being invented and spread by people.  So, to say I hate  christians is a bit of a stretch.  But I do hate the hierarchy that allows it to spread and grow.  I hate that hierarchy and the people that hold offices of importance within those hierarchies.    Yes, I hate the pope and all leaders of all of the various sects.  I wish that the job they are trying to do would fail horribly and I don't give a whit about their lives; and I hold those people in great disdain.  I say the same about every other organized religion, as well.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Nonsensei

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 23, 2016, 06:13:14 AM

Dumasaphobia - The Fear of Stupid People.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Shiranu

I think Islamaphobia, as well as I suppose Christianphobia, has a shred... a very small one... of credibility. There ARE people who have an irrational fear of Islam and Muslims, just as there are people who have an irrational fear of Christians and Christianity, to the point they delusionally start to believe even the most outlandish articles that make "The Onion" look serious. When it reaches that point, I think "whatever-phobia" is an accurate term.

That said, there are very few people like that, and for the most part I think people see through their bullshit whenever it's pointed out.

Quote...but only being anti-Christian makes you that. I agree with this. I do not accept Islamaphobia, because it is used against people who are anti-Muslim...

So being anti-Christian makes you bigoted, but being anti-Muslim doesn't.

What?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Duncle

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 13, 2016, 09:34:30 AM

"The general image they have of Christians is that they are a backward, non-critical thinking, child-like people who do not like science and want to interfere with the lives of everyone else," Yancey explained in an earlier interview with CP. "But even worse, they see ordinary Christians as having been manipulated by evil Christian leaders and will vote in whatever way those leaders want. They believe that those leaders are trying to set up a theocracy to force everybody to accept their Christian beliefs. So, for some with Christianophobia, this is a struggle for our society and our ability to move toward a progressive society. Christians are often seen as the great evil force that blocks our society from achieving this progressive paradise," he added.[/I]

Christianity and Islam are both extremely powerful regressive forces in the world which serve the interests of the corrupt status quo, oppose science (and truth generally), justify gross repression, motivate violence and genuine bigotry. Viewing the desert monotheisms as malevolent, and the believing masses as manipulated gulls, is in no way phobic. The fundamentalists really do mean harm to the world, and recognizing that is simply seeing the world as it is, rather than how we might like it to be.

Along similar lines to Islamophobia and Christianophobia may I suggest:

Klanphobia: Many black Americans have an irrational dislike of the KKK. They view the mass of KKK members as ignorant thugs, and the leadership as fanatical racists.

Favlokratophobia: The irrational fear of political corruption. Some people seem to think that huge campaign contributions (US) and/or membership of corporate boards (UK) actually influences the actions of elected politicians. (Note: used Google translate for the name of the phobia- it may be completely wrong!)

Crackphobia: The view that crack cocaine is injurious to health. Similar phobic conditions have been noted for tobacco, heroin, methamphetamine....

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Shiranu on October 24, 2016, 07:21:54 PM
So being anti-Christian makes you bigoted, but being anti-Muslim doesn't.

What?
Anti-Muslim bigotry is a very big problem in the West. Islamaphobia is a term that was invented by a Muslim trying to make the point that you're a bigot for criticizing a religion. That is dumb, so I don't accept the term, but anti-Muslim bigotry is a very real problem.

If someone thinks the term Christianophobe is stupid and doesn't want to use it, that's fine too. If they think "here comes the crazy" when they see someone talking about their religion, that's fine too, as long as they don't think that Christian, Muslim, Jew, or atheist should be treated like shit or discriminated against just for being of that religion (or non-religion).