News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christianophobes

Started by GSOgymrat, October 13, 2016, 09:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

I learned a new word today: Christianophobia.

WikiLeaks Scandal: After Hillary Clinton Confidantes Mock Catholics, Evangelicals, Letter Circulating Among Christian Leaders

http://www.christianpost.com/news/wikileaks-scandal-after-hillary-clinton-confidantes-mock-catholics-evangelicals-letter-circulating-among-christian-leaders-170766/#z5Xv8sGcJOHWHmLm.99

... The behavior of the Clinton campaign appears to reflect the attitude of a small, but elite group of Americans seen as Christianophobes who demonstrate signs of anti-Christian hostility highlighted by sociologists David Williamson and George Yancey in their new book, So Many Christians, So Few Lions: Is There Christianophobia in the United States?

Christianophobes, says Yancey, are mostly white, wealthy, well-educated and non-religious.

"The general image they have of Christians is that they are a backward, non-critical thinking, child-like people who do not like science and want to interfere with the lives of everyone else," Yancey explained in an earlier interview with CP. "But even worse, they see ordinary Christians as having been manipulated by evil Christian leaders and will vote in whatever way those leaders want. They believe that those leaders are trying to set up a theocracy to force everybody to accept their Christian beliefs. So, for some with Christianophobia, this is a struggle for our society and our ability to move toward a progressive society. Christians are often seen as the great evil force that blocks our society from achieving this progressive paradise," he added.

Gawdzilla Sama

Poor Wikileaks, no "bomb shell", so they just toss something out. Sad, that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 13, 2016, 09:34:30 AM
I learned a new word today: Christianophobia...
An irrational fear of Christians.

Quote...Christianophobes, says Yancey, are mostly white, wealthy, well-educated and non-religious.
Republican men mostly have 5 inches, while Democrat men mostly have 7 inches. Moderates are usually in the 6 inch range. This according to a study by your mom.

Quote"The general image they have of Christians is that they are a backward, non-critical thinking, child-like people who do not like science and want to interfere with the lives of everyone else," Yancey explained in an earlier interview with CP. "But even worse, they see ordinary Christians as having been manipulated by evil Christian leaders and will vote in whatever way those leaders want. They believe that those leaders are trying to set up a theocracy to force everybody to accept their Christian beliefs.
From what I've witnessed of outspoken Christians, that conclusion sounds rational to me. No phobia, unless you start assuming that because a person is Christian, they are automatically guilty of those traits.

QuoteSo, for some with Christianophobia, this is a struggle for our society and our ability to move toward a progressive society. Christians are often seen as the great evil force that blocks our society from achieving this progressive paradise," he added.
There's the real phobia: progressives.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Atheon

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 13, 2016, 10:30:57 AM
Poor Wikileaks, no "bomb shell", so they just toss something out. Sad, that.
Plus they've been caught forging documents. Assange has lost his sanity, as well... he has fallen into paranoid delusions.

I used to like Assange; I even called him a hero. Now he's a pathetic excuse for a human being
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

widdershins

I remember stating that word didn't exist a few months ago in a thread about Islamophobia to bolster the idea that Islamophobia was actually a made-up thing.

Besides, I think any fear of Islam, which is a scary-ass religion, especially for women, or Christianity, which often includes needy, whiny, self-important people wishing nothing more than to impose their beliefs on everyone around them is, by nature, rational.  As a phobia is an irrational fear I now think both things are made up.
This sentence is a lie...

Blackleaf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 13, 2016, 09:34:30 AMChristianophobes, says Yancey, are mostly white, wealthy, well-educated and non-religious.

Not to be confused with the white and wealthy pastors who have two to three years of college education dedicated to theology, who promote secular (non-religious) ideas under the guise of them being Biblical truths.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on October 13, 2016, 10:31:34 AM
From what I've witnessed of outspoken Christians, that conclusion sounds rational to me. No phobia, unless you start assuming that because a person is Christian, they are automatically guilty of those traits.

That's what I thought when I read that assessment.

Baruch

No need for Rico Law enforcement.  The Catholic Church, the Mormon Church and the S Baptist Church don't have it out for anyone, they have no ambitions at all ... bwahaha
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I don't care for terms like homophobia, Islamophobia or Christianophobia because "phobia" implies these are illnesses that need treatment. Individuals who are afraid of heights, spiders or public speaking typically don't want to fear these things and wish to change. Christianophobia and the others are attitudes and beliefs that do not bother the individual experiencing the "phobia", only other people.

Blackleaf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 13, 2016, 03:44:14 PM
I don't care for terms like homophobia, Islamophobia, Christianophobia because it implies these are illnesses that need treatment. Individuals who are afraid of heights, spiders or public speaking typically don't want to fear these things and wish to change. Christianophobia and the others are attitudes and beliefs that do not bother the individual, only other people.

I agree. The first two just seem like terms someone made up as an excuse to shame people, as if making up a word that sounds academic somehow makes it more important. And the last one sounds like a pitiful attempt by Christians to respond in kind.

Hello. I have idiotitus. A severe allergy to stupid. See, it sounds like something you'd find in a medical school textbook, so it must be legit.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 13, 2016, 04:03:12 PM
I agree. The first two just seem like terms someone made up as an excuse to shame people, as if making up a word that sounds academic somehow makes it more important. And the last one sounds like a pitiful attempt by Christians to respond in kind.

Hello. I have idiotitus. A sever allergy to stupid. See, it sounds like something you'd find in a medical school textbook, so it must be legit.

You two nailed it I think.  Coming up with pseudo-phobias is Like the fad of the millennium.

Draconic Aiur

nope i'm a bigot theres a difference

Cavebear

I'm NOT a "christianophobe".  I think ALL theists are equally idiots...  Doesn't matter WHAT beliefs.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sal1981

Just as bullshit word as Islamophobia.