News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello new here

Started by Marlo, October 12, 2016, 01:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlo

Hey everybody,just joined up.I have been an atheist for a few years now.My family members are devout Christians and they flipped out when I told them.Though they are not forcing me to change in anyway I can strongly feel their disappointment.I love them a lot but really I am who I am.I just feel kind of disconnected sometimes so I thought about joining here.

Mr.Obvious

Welcome marlo, to our little band of heathens.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Advance, be recognized, present beer.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 12, 2016, 06:12:38 AM
Advance, be recognized, present beer.

Which brand and type?I prefer Wild Goose India Pale Ale, but will settle for Heinekin or Moosehead.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Cavebear on October 26, 2016, 10:24:25 AM
Which brand and type?I prefer Wild Goose India Pale Ale, but will settle for Heinekin or Moosehead.
Boxer, Baby! 5% alcohol, and $15 for 36 cans. Can't beat it.

Oh yeah, and welcome new guy.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Cavebear

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on October 28, 2016, 07:26:20 AM
Boxer, Baby! 5% alcohol, and $15 for 36 cans. Can't beat it.

Oh yeah, and welcome new guy.

What size cans? 

Absurd Atheist

Quote from: Marlo on October 12, 2016, 01:15:08 AM
Hey everybody,just joined up.I have been an atheist for a few years now.My family members are devout Christians and they flipped out when I told them.Though they are not forcing me to change in anyway I can strongly feel their disappointment.I love them a lot but really I am who I am.I just feel kind of disconnected sometimes so I thought about joining here.

Same thing happened to me, except it was mostly my mother who was disappointed and arguably horrified.
Welcome friend.
"To have faith is to lose your mind and to win God."
-The Sickness unto Death - 1849

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on November 02, 2016, 10:31:02 PM
Same thing happened to me, except it was mostly my mother who was disappointed and arguably horrified.
Welcome friend.

What age were you when you spoke to your family about your atheism?  Just curious.

Absurd Atheist

Quote from: Cavebear on November 03, 2016, 01:17:41 AM
What age were you when you spoke to your family about your atheism?  Just curious.

"To have faith is to lose your mind and to win God."
-The Sickness unto Death - 1849

SGOS

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on December 03, 2016, 01:04:35 PM

I waited for them to die, but I have also wondered if I wasn't able to even recognize my own atheism until the coast was clear.  I'm actually serious when I consider this.  It may have been that their deaths and my owning up to my atheism was a coincidence or simply that I was free to be myself.  Before atheism, I considered myself an agnostic, although I never announced that to family.  In hindsight, "agnostic" was a half truth, because I didn't really want to be called an atheist.  I've been an atheist for longer than when I first recognized that I was devoid a belief in a god and had been for many years.

Welcome.