News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

how loving christians are!

Started by doorknob, October 06, 2016, 11:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 09, 2016, 01:28:35 PM

There is a higher calling for life as a whole then to simply be consumed by personal want.

It has been my experience that those who identify as atheists or closet deists are actually more receptive to the truth that can be known from within.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
I could not have disagree more.  There is no 'higher calling' in anything or in any way.  Rest assured I am an atheist; the end of a life long journey.

BTW, pops, I used to attach the word 'Namaste' to my writings--which was explained to me to mean 'the christ in me greets the christ in you'.  I notice you are fond of 'peace'.  I would still consider using namaste, except I would have to change the meaning to something like, 'my humanity salutes your humanity'.  That would be an accurate way for me to do it, but nobody but me would understand what it means, and most would think I was a theist of some sort; so I stopped using it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 09, 2016, 01:40:11 PM
Still assuming things I suppose.

Do you assume my faith is from indoctrination by man?

Do you assume I have been a believer since early childhood due to upbringing?

I thought I had made it clear that I am not considered to be an orthodox Christian so what else would you like to assume instead of simply asking?

Peace

I am assuming you are a believer; I have no idea how you got to that.  Don't care about your childhood or why you are a believer.  But a believer you are.  Therefore, you must have a christian belief of some sort.  And that must include Jesus since he is the 'christ' that is refereed to in the label christian.  That is all I am assuming.  Do you not believe in god; in the divinity of Jesus???  Of course you do.  How did you arrive at that; did you not say from the bible?  Well, the bible is a work of fiction by largely unknown authors at  unknown times.  God is a fiction and since Jesus is only known by the bible, Jesus is a fiction, as well.  So, your belief stems from a fiction.  It is just that simple.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 09, 2016, 01:36:58 PM
And here are you implying that I cherry pick? 

Don't blow air up my skirt, I know you don't follow every precept put forward as having been promoted by Jesus. Nobody could do that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 09, 2016, 01:41:31 PM
I could not have disagree more.  There is no 'higher calling' in anything or in any way.  Rest assured I am an atheist; the end of a life long journey.

BTW, pops, I used to attach the word 'Namaste' to my writings--which was explained to me to mean 'the christ in me greets the christ in you'.  I notice you are fond of 'peace'.  I would still consider using namaste, except I would have to change the meaning to something like, 'my humanity salutes your humanity'.  That would be an accurate way for me to do it, but nobody but me would understand what it means, and most would think I was a theist of some sort; so I stopped using it.
I respect your opinion and thank for your mutual respect.

I don't think that you think that the purpose of life is to amass personal belongings though. 

And my statement stands that the atheist in general is more capable of letting go of preconceptions.

I wish I could thumbs up...but I can't.

What was it? Nastame?

Peace friend.

Baruch

Nemaste ... but he isn't Hindu.

Having a higher calling is good ... but if too rigorously held, it makes you a saint or a monster.  Is there any higher calling than being of assistance and compassionate toward people and the rest of life?  What I am implying is ... ideological higher calling ... smells funny ... maybe a dead thing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on October 09, 2016, 05:12:36 PM
Nemaste ... but he isn't Hindu.

Having a higher calling is good ... but if too rigorously held, it makes you a saint or a monster.  Is there any higher calling than being of assistance and compassionate toward people and the rest of life?  What I am implying is ... ideological higher calling ... smells funny ... maybe a dead thing.
Being of assistance and compassionate toward people the rest of your (my) life is not a higher calling.  It is just being human.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 09, 2016, 05:32:45 PM
Being of assistance and compassionate toward people the rest of your (my) life is not a higher calling.  It is just being human.

You have an idealistic view of "human".  To be of assistance and compassionate ... for me, is to be trans-human.  For me, human equals killer ape.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: MeI used to be high on Christ too, Pop's, but I came down.

I can still relate to your devotion to the Golden rule, though. I have a similar code of conduct, but I don't elevate it to Holy Commandment.

I also agree with Baruch, that there is value in fiction. But I feel there is a lot of danger in believing fiction to be the Word of God.

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 09, 2016, 01:28:35 PM
Words can be used in all sorts of ways.
Uhhh...Yep!

Quote from: popsthebuilderWhat is holy is what is different and what is different from the greedy of the masses interpretation general? Something similar to the golden rule? Indeed

"Golden Rule"
Solomon Zorn

I still believe the golden rule,
To do as you'd have done to you,
Is just a precept I can use,
Along whatever path I choose.

A human wisdom, proving true,
That works from any point of view.
A simple code you won't refute,
Until they make it absolute.

For some exceptions may apply,
Like when a person has to die,
Because with murderous intent,
He preys upon an innocent.

Conversely,  when a small offense,
Has earned some kind of recompense:
Don't punish people to excess,
Or you may find, to your distress,

That you've committed some small crime,
And suddenly your doing time,
Although it should have been a fine,
The golden rule helps draw the line.

So if you want to change the world,
Teach the little boys and girls,
When it comes to our behavior,
Golden rule will be our savior.

Quote from: popsthebuilderYet though this stems from the conscience it in no way is not of GOD and life and the very will of GOD for IT's creation or formation.
Sez you.

Quote from: popsthebuilderThere is a higher calling for life as a whole then to simply be consumed by personal want.

Life as a whole would advance and benefit from actually adhering to the things that can be known through the selfless conscience.
Selflessness and selfishness have to balance. Living by the golden rule is not a higher calling, it's just a wiser one.

Quote from: popsthebuilderThese writings you reference can be, and are a reminder for those few who can actually understand, relate, and act according to that holy will.
You're one of the few, eh? You must be special. The rest are what? Gentiles? Sinners?

Quote from: popsthebuilderThat spiritual existence that is the life of us all yet so many are blinded to by pride greed fear and manipulation of self through societal means and norms which are mandated by those greedy souls in high places.

Sorry,  probably sounds like some rant.
Uhhh...Yep!

Quote from: popsthebuilderIt has been my experience that those who identify as atheists or closet deists are actually more receptive to the truth that can be known from within.

Anyway....peace
More in touch with their consciences, perhaps, but receptive to "inner truth," I doubt.

I used to be a very unconventional Christian, once. Till other Christians got me into the church, and they taught me the proper way to believe.

Since developing Schizophrenia, and having to deal with audio anomalies(such as disembodied voices), I have become acutely aware of self delusion. I see it in myself, and I can spot it in others. I was deep in it once, as you are now, but we find our way through life either way.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on October 09, 2016, 10:48:46 PM
Uhhh...Yep!

"Golden Rule"
Solomon Zorn

I still believe the golden rule,
To do as you'd have done to you,
Is just a precept I can use,
Along whatever path I choose.

A human wisdom, proving true,
That works from any point of view.
A simple code you won't refute,
Until they make it absolute.

For some exceptions may apply,
Like when a person has to die,
Because with murderous intent,
He preys upon an innocent.

Conversely,  when a small offense,
Has earned some kind of recompense:
Don't punish people to excess,
Or you may find, to your distress,

That you've committed some small crime,
And suddenly your doing time,
Although it should have been a fine,
The golden rule helps draw the line.

So if you want to change the world,
Teach the little boys and girls,
When it comes to our behavior,
Golden rule will be our savior.
Sez you.
Selflessness and selfishness have to balance. Living by the golden rule is not a higher calling, it's just a wiser one.
You're one of the few, eh? You must be special. The rest are what? Gentiles? Sinners?
Uhhh...Yep!
More in touch with their consciences, perhaps, but receptive to "inner truth," I doubt.

I used to be a very unconventional Christian, once. Till other Christians got me into the church, and they taught me the proper way to believe.

Since developing Schizophrenia, and having to deal with audio anomalies(such as disembodied voices), I have become acutely aware of self delusion. I see it in myself, and I can spot it in others. I was deep in it once, as you are now, but we find our way through life either way.
Sir,  I never said I was special,  or without sin.

Please don't call me delusional friend.

Auditory anomalies can be caused by all sorts of things.

Kinda liked the poem though.

Peace

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 10, 2016, 06:56:32 AM
Sir,  I never said I was special,  or without sin.
You implied that you are one of the few who can "understand, relate and act according to that Holy Will." That makes you special. Don't try to act humble about it now, brother.

And I never suggested that you thought yourself "without sin." I only asked, what term you use to refer to those who cannot "understand, relate and act according to that Holy Will."

Quote from: popsthebuilderPlease don't call me delusional friend.
We're all delusional, brother. Just some of us more obviously than others.

Quote from: popsthebuilderAuditory anomalies can be caused by all sorts of things.
Sub-sensory vibrations that resonate on the brain, and are interpreted as sound waves - hows that for a delusion. Or maybe they're ghosts...

Quote from: popsthebuilderKinda liked the poem though.
Thanks. There are many more where that came from, as well as some proverbs, on my website: http://www.solomonzorn.com/
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Baruch

Solomon Zorn - you might not think you are special, and ones medical/mental condition may bother ... but your inner self can sing ;-)

Popsthebuilder - you might not think you are special, but you ride the wave, not just plow thru it as if it wasn't there ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Baruch on October 10, 2016, 08:04:33 AM
Solomon Zorn - you might not think you are special, and ones medical/mental condition may bother ... but your inner self can sing ;-)

Popsthebuilder - you might not think you are special, but you ride the wave, not just plow thru it as if it wasn't there ;-)
Such edification here...on this sight.... Profound. What a pleasant surprise.

ah how that hope is not lost and truth reiterated and undeniable.

With all humility and sincerity, I wish you both the very best of all things by the will of God for the sake of creation/ existence.

I am nearly speechless....

Peace

Blackleaf

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 08, 2016, 01:42:21 PM
So words must be spoken in a completely literal sense for you to even grasp them?

I think your playing willfully ignorant for your own motives which most likely don't benefit any, but that's just my opinion.

Peace

If you want to claim to know Jesus' position on things, yes, you do need an actual quote. You cannot just fill in the blanks of what wasn't said with whatever is convenient for you. I, on the other hand, have quoted the Bible for you, and those quotes went completely ignored. That tells me a lot about your honesty in approaching these issues from a Biblical standpoint.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Ah ... but the Bible sucks.  You use it to "hang them from their own petard".  I would never use the Bible to justify anything, it is just an old book.  You might as well use The Count of Monte Christo as your guide to life.

To commentators in general ... the argument "embrace 100% of the Bible or none of it" is a piss poor argument.  Not even rabbis say that.  I expect better.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on October 10, 2016, 10:16:49 AM
Ah ... but the Bible sucks.  You use it to "hang them from their own petard".  I would never use the Bible to justify anything, it is just an old book.  You might as well use The Count of Monte Christo as your guide to life.

To commentators in general ... the argument "embrace 100% of the Bible or none of it" is a piss poor argument.  Not even rabbis say that.  I expect better.

If it is a flawed book, then it is not the Word of God, and is not something to base your morals on. And boy is it flawed. Why choose the Bible over any other work of fiction as the basis for your beliefs or morals?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--