News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

how loving christians are!

Started by doorknob, October 06, 2016, 11:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

It has been clear, that Popsthebuilder has been coming from a non-standard religious POV for some time now.  He might call himself a Christian, but I would call him a Seeker, who is open to NT POV ... but not limited to that.

So it would be clear, that he isn't going to accept all the Biblical laws, not even all the Rabbinic laws as part of his religion ... nor did Constantine for that matter.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 08, 2016, 12:14:51 PM
On the contrary; an objective view of what is right is easily found and constant with negation of self from equation. The selfless conscience is objective.

Peace

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
:)))  Objective view?? :)))  That is not possible--well, it is if one is prepared to embrace factual data.  Then one cannot come away with any other conclusion than that Jesus is a fiction.  And that the Synoptics are fiction.  Objective view................:))))  good one.  I love it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

popsthebuilder

Quote from: sdelsolray on October 08, 2016, 02:34:31 PM
So, these are the two, and only two, rules referenced in your OP.

This is further evidence that you are a Cafeteria Christianâ,,¢.
No....all righteousness and law is fulfilled with the compliance of those two commands.

Peace

Baruch

Paul's paen to love may be a work of fiction, just as great quotations from Shakespeare ... but are you un-moved?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 08, 2016, 07:14:56 PM
:)))  Objective view?? :)))  That is not possible--well, it is if one is prepared to embrace factual data.  Then one cannot come away with any other conclusion than that Jesus is a fiction.  And that the Synoptics are fiction.  Objective view................:))))  good one.  I love it.
What factual data are you assuming I reject?

Peace

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Baruch on October 08, 2016, 05:30:22 PM
It has been clear, that Popsthebuilder has been coming from a non-standard religious POV for some time now.  He might call himself a Christian, but I would call him a Seeker, who is open to NT POV ... but not limited to that.

So it would be clear, that he isn't going to accept all the Biblical laws, not even all the Rabbinic laws as part of his religion ... nor did Constantine for that matter.
You are correct in your assertion.

I am most definitely not an orthodox Christian and am in most cases shunned by them.

I see much error, hypocrisy, and greed within much organized religion.

But even this is spoken of repeatedly in the bible and other core religious scripture.

Peace

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 08, 2016, 09:15:50 PM

Peace

Mike - It is a fact (maybe) that Shakespeare wrote Hamlet.  It is true that there was no prince Hamlet.  But "to be or not to be" is still the question.  The historicity of Hamlet isn't relevant, one's response to the soliloquy of a great fictional character, is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 08, 2016, 09:15:50 PM

Peace

All of it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 08, 2016, 10:50:44 PM
All of it.
A grand assumption indeed.

Perhaps you could simply ask if I believe a thing to be true as opposed to making yourself out to be an ass by assuming such things. Completely your call though.

Peace

Solomon Zorn

I used to be high on Christ too, Pop's, but I came down.

I can still relate to your devotion to the Golden rule, though. I have a similar code of conduct, but I don't elevate it to Holy Commandment.

I also agree with Baruch, that there is value in fiction. But I feel there is a lot of danger in believing fiction to be the Word of God.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 07, 2016, 06:58:12 AM
I don't know what a cafeteria Christian is, but it has been my experience that most self proclaimed Christians do not agree with me and are quite confused.
Go through a cafeteria. Do you take everything or do you pick and chose what you will accept for dinner? Clear now?

And why are THEY confused? Why not admit nobody is ever on the same page with regard to religion. You each have your own.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 09, 2016, 07:26:11 AM
A grand assumption indeed.

Perhaps you could simply ask if I believe a thing to be true as opposed to making yourself out to be an ass by assuming such things. Completely your call though.

Peace

Oh, woe is me, the ass that I am.   Anyway, you said that you follow two of Jesus' commands.  I would think you would not suggest you live by the commands of a fiction.  And it is fairly obvious what you believe by what you say.  So, my statement to you is that you must believe Jesus to have been an actual character.  But there is no evidence to suggest that that is so.  Jesus actually is a fiction and you are telling us you live by the commands of a fiction. 

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on October 09, 2016, 12:26:41 PM

I used to be high on Christ too, Pop's, but I came down.

I can still relate to your devotion to the Golden rule, though. I have a similar code of conduct, but I don't elevate it to Holy Commandment.

I also agree with Baruch, that there is value in fiction. But I feel there is a lot of danger in believing fiction to be the Word of God.
Words can be used in all sorts of ways.

What is holy is what is different and what is different from the greedy of the masses interpretation general? Something similar to the golden rule? Indeed

Yet though this stems from the conscience it in no way is not of GOD and life and the very will of GOD for IT's creation or formation.

There is a higher calling for life as a whole then to simply be consumed by personal want.

Life as a whole would advance and benefit from actually adhering to the things that can be known through the selfless conscience.

These writings you reference can be, and are a reminder for those few who can actually understand, relate, and act according to that holy will.  That spiritual existence that is the life of us all yet so many are blinded to by pride greed fear and manipulation of self through societal means and norms which are mandated by those greedy souls in high places.

Sorry,  probably sounds like some rant.

It has been my experience that those who identify as atheists or closet deists are actually more receptive to the truth that can be known from within.

Anyway....peace

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 09, 2016, 01:21:37 PM
Go through a cafeteria. Do you take everything or do you pick and chose what you will accept for dinner? Clear now?

And why are THEY confused? Why not admit nobody is ever on the same page with regard to religion. You each have your own.
And here are you implying that I cherry pick?

I personally can go through the core religious texts and see the truth and relation in all of them... so far. There are some people that have similar views to mine.

I do not deny that there are many needless divisions among the "faithful".
Nor do I deny that this only hurts their credibility. They, however, are mostly oblivious to their own error and it's effects. And I don't think I am without error by any means, but it is error of a different sort, and not stemming from a doctrinal error per say, but rather, personal error or procrastination or denial pertaining to personal truths.

Peace

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 09, 2016, 01:21:47 PM
Oh, woe is me, the ass that I am.   Anyway, you said that you follow two of Jesus' commands.  I would think you would not suggest you live by the commands of a fiction.  And it is fairly obvious what you believe by what you say.  So, my statement to you is that you must believe Jesus to have been an actual character.  But there is no evidence to suggest that that is so.  Jesus actually is a fiction and you are telling us you live by the commands of a fiction.
Still assuming things I suppose.

Do you assume my faith is from indoctrination by man?

Do you assume I have been a believer since early childhood due to upbringing?

I thought I had made it clear that I am not considered to be an orthodox Christian so what else would you like to assume instead of simply asking?

Peace