USA Today: Trump unfit for the presidency

Started by Hydra009, October 04, 2016, 09:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

QuoteIn the 34-year history of USA TODAY, the Editorial Board has never taken sides in the presidential race. Instead, we’ve expressed opinions about the major issues and haven’t presumed to tell our readers, who have a variety of priorities and values, which choice is best for them. Because every presidential race is different, we revisit our no-endorsement policy every four years. We’ve never seen reason to alter our approach. Until now.

This year, the choice isn’t between two capable major party nominees who happen to have significant ideological differences. This year, one of the candidates â€" Republican nominee Donald Trump â€" is, by unanimous consensus of the Editorial Board, unfit for the presidency.

From the day he declared his candidacy 15 months ago through this week’s first presidential debate, Trump has demonstrated repeatedly that he lacks the temperament, knowledge, steadiness and honesty that America needs from its presidents.

Whether through indifference or ignorance, Trump has betrayed fundamental commitments made by all presidents since the end of World War II. These commitments include unwavering support for NATO allies, steadfast opposition to Russian aggression, and the absolute certainty that the United States will make good on its debts. He has expressed troubling admiration for authoritarian leaders and scant regard for constitutional protections.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/09/29/dont-vote-for-donald-trump-editorial-board-editorials-debates/91295020/

Good read.  Really sums up the election so far.  I particularly liked that they acknowledged that Trump has pointed out some legitimate problems (a broken clock is right twice a day) while maintaining that his overall platform is utterly unacceptable.

Mr.Obvious

In other news: a new study shows that getting shot in the head by a 12-gauge shotgun may be detrimental to your health. Stay tuned for more on this shocking revelation.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Just because Churchill convinced Truman to be anti-Stalin ... is not a reason for us to be anti-Putin.  Putin is no Stalin.  Based on precedence, the US should be anti-British.  "Fit for Presidency" ... is not part of the Constitution.  It is no different than being a male chauvinist who figures that Hillary, being a woman, is unfit for that reason.  I find any member of either major party, to be Unfit for the Presidency, because I consider both parties to be psychopathic (which surely makes anyone unfit).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 04, 2016, 11:58:57 AMIn other news: a new study shows that getting shot in the head by a 12-gauge shotgun may be detrimental to your health. Stay tuned for more on this shocking revelation.
Yeah, not anything we didn't already know.  But I found it interesting that they haven't taken sides on any presidential race for three decades (mum on W Bush and on McCain/Palin) but this election cycle has been so outrageous that they can't help but implore the reader to not vote for Trump.

TomFoolery

Trump Supporters Read:

USA Today: Trump definitely unfit for the presidency
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Hydra009

Quote from: TomFoolery on October 04, 2016, 04:16:24 PMTrump Supporters Read:

USA Today: Trump definitely unfit for the presidency
I've heard those people rail at Fox News as a liberal network to say nothing of the lamestream media.  Trump's going to get those votes regardless.  Best case scenario is these non-endorsements start to pile up and successfully get some sliver of the population to think twice at the ballots.

SGOS

That USA is breaking its tradition of neutrality is a significant change.  I suppose it will have some effect, but not huge.  That's a matter of perspective of course.  If somehow it could be shown the USA changed the vote by 2%, a case could be made that 2% was huge.  I don't know how much effect media actually has.  The political position of newspapers, radio, and television may do more to satisfy an ideology than shape it.  Although, that could be up for debate, I suppose.

doorknob

I'm pretty sure trumps getting elected. I hate it but can't think of a good way to stop it.

trdsf

Quote from: doorknob on October 04, 2016, 08:42:23 PM
I'm pretty sure trumps getting elected. I hate it but can't think of a good way to stop it.
Going out and voting for someone else seems like a pretty good start to me.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Interesting that they merely come out against Trump, not for anyone especially.  Fair enough.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on October 04, 2016, 09:52:51 PM
Interesting that they merely come out against Trump, not for anyone especially.  Fair enough.

It is very unusual that a media outlet is opposing a candidate without supporting one.  Although, it makes sense.  That is in line with a large block of the voters this year. 

Gawdzilla Sama

"There may not be anyone you would vote FOR in an election, but there is always someone you should vote AGAINST."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 06, 2016, 06:37:22 AM
"There may not be anyone you would vote FOR in an election, but there is always someone you should vote AGAINST."

This morning, NPR interviewed the former head prosecutor who doggedly pursued the Clintons believing they were guilty of criminal activity during the Whitewater Scandal.  Turns out he's endorsing Hillary.

SGOS

I want to think you are wrong, but not willing to bet you on it.  Trump is getting a lot of shit lately, often times from ardent Republicans.  I would think than even the mentally challenged would stop to reconsider whether voting for Trump is the right thing to do.  On the other hand, the reason Trump is so popular is that those very people in the Republican Party who are dissing Trump, have let the rank and file Republicans down too many times, or so the rank and file seems to believe.

But, I can still drive any direction from my house for 50 miles and see Trump Pence signs in every other backyard.  Actually, I can't remember seeing a "Vote Clinton" this year.  I'm going to start looking.  But honestly, I don't remember seeing a Clinton sign.  And I just realized something else.  Trump and Pence are using all blue signs without the Republican Red.  I wonder what the strategy is behind that?

Hydra009

I'd bet on it.  Like I've said before, it's going to be close.  (At the time, a lot of people didn't think it'd even be close - that it'd be a blowout for Clinton.  That tune has changed.)

From the forecasts I've seen, Clinton's going to win.  There's even a good chance NC will go blue this time around.  Of course, the situation could change but I'm not expecting it to change by much.