News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

An Underwater Sinkhole?

Started by SGOS, September 28, 2016, 07:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

There is no description or explanation, just a video that mesmerized me until the end.  It seems to be happening during an ice breakup so there is plenty of debris for it to suck into it's vortex.  I suppose it's just a drain hole, but it seems to be actively sucking, not just draining.  Well anyway, there is a tremendous amount of force.  Try not to imagine a swimmer accidently getting too close.  I meant this to be under Science General Discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzFajZVLA60

Baruch

Gravity works with water, water sticks together, so water moving under gravity is a bit more forceful than even air moving under gravity.  Newton showed that forces don't suck ... that is air pressure pushing against a lesser force (created by your removing air from your mouth).  Though in this case, I think gravity is the dominant force, not air pressure.

There was a sink hole in a lake in Louisiana ... a drilling rig cut a hole in the bottom that opened into an air space ... the whole pond went in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Gawdzilla Sama

Gravity is quite sufficient to produce that effect. Whirlpools are found in many places.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2016, 08:49:34 AM
Gravity is quite sufficient to produce that effect. Whirlpools are found in many places.

I know they are common in river rapids, but I think they are still oddities when they are caused by holes in the bottom of lakes that can swallow barges, boats, and houses.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 28, 2016, 09:47:43 AM
I know they are common in river rapids, but I think they are still oddities when they are caused by holes in the bottom of lakes that can swallow barges, boats, and houses.
Everything is odd, these are just events.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Atheon

If the roof of a subterranean cavern collapses, there can be a huge volume of empty space for a body of water to drain into.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2016, 10:04:44 AM
Everything is odd, these are just events.

Count me among the common riff-raff.  I'm amazed with 8 foot deep and 40 feet wide sinkholes that someone's car falls into.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 28, 2016, 11:14:24 AM
Count me among the common riff-raff.  I'm amazed with 8 foot deep and 40 feet wide sinkholes that someone's car falls into.
Meh, go visit Florida. It's heading for the Indian Ocean as we speak.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 28, 2016, 11:14:24 AM

Those are just chuck-holes in Florida streets, blame the city highway department.  Their cockroaches are 6 feet long and carry off small children ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on September 28, 2016, 06:46:59 PM
Those are just chuck-holes in Florida streets, blame the city highway department.  Their cockroaches are 6 feet long and carry off small children ;-)
The Florida Department of Tourism would like to remind you that they don't have cockroaches in Florida. Those are actually the very benign and useful "palmetto bugs". Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
PZ Myers