How Do You Rate the 1st Debate?

Started by SGOS, September 26, 2016, 10:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I quit watching a half hour before the end.  I'm giving Hillary a win, although I wouldn't call it an overwhelming one.  Trump did a better job than I expected, but I still wouldn't call it a good job.  I'll be interested to hear what the media says happened.  I doubt that I'll watch the next two.

Atheon

Trump babbled incoherently and didn't seem to know what he was taking about. He looked like a fool.

Hillary spoke in a confident, coherent and fact-filled manner about issues that matter. She looked like a president.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on September 26, 2016, 11:16:52 PM
Trump babbled incoherently and didn't seem to know what he was taking about. He looked like a fool.

Hillary spoke in a confident, coherent and fact-filled manner about issues that matter. She looked like a president.

I agree with this, and I think I need to explain why I didn't see as wide lead as I think you did.  While I saw a commanding lead in Hillary's use of facts, reason, clarity, and presidential image, I was concerning myself mostly with stage presence, which I think is what many voters watch for.  I was looking for things that would actually affect voting outcomes.  How many voters will change their minds after the debates?  Not many, I don't think.  I'm convinced that most of Trump's supporters still see him as the answer to America's problems, and still see Hillary as the Devil in Drag.

A couple of weeks ago NPR asked their guests what each candidate needed to do to win the debate.  While this is from memory, I think I've got it fairly close.  The guests said that Trump needed to not lose control, or have a major outburst.  They thought that if he could do that, it would be a positive for Trump.  Although, this might not be considered winning the debate, he would not hurt himself or lose support.  With that perspective, I think he met that criteria, albeit a somewhat low standard of success.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on September 26, 2016, 11:29:22 PM
Boring as fuck. Would not do again.

After an hour, I was feeling fatigued, and was wishing they would take an intermission.  It was boring the way a person can become bored listening to the shrill yelling and constant interrupting of a non-debate format like the old Crossfire program.  It irks me that they call these circus events debates.

Atheon

I'm seeing figures like this (quoting from memory, so it wont necessarily be exact):

62% say Hillary won, 27% say Trump won

38% of undecideds say they're more likely to vote Hillary
18% of undecideds say they're more likely to vote Trump
46% say they remain undecided

That's significant. And the debates aren't over.

In any case, I just completed my absentee ballot, and will be sending it in tomorrow. Straight-ticket Democrats, of course.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

PickelledEggs

Didn't watch. Don't even know what the point of anyone watching the debate is at this point anyway. Anyone voting for trump is cemented with voting for trump, anyone voting for hillary is already cemented with voting for hillary, anyone voting 3rd party is already voting 3rd party. There isn't any signs of "I'm torn between these two" Everyone is pretty sure of who they want to vote for with this election. No debate or anything is going to change their minds at this point this year.

Atheon

Quote from: df on September 27, 2016, 01:47:47 AM
I was quite impressed with Trump this time round, he done a lot better than he usually does.
Which doesn't speak well for him at all. If that fiasco of bumbling, interrupting and lies was better than his usual, then his usual must be pretty damn sad.

Baruch

Bipartisan fail for both candidate, both parties.  Just like business as usual in Washington DC.  The format isn't a real debate ... neither candidate could survive grilling by intelligent panelists (nor could Obama without the teleprompter).  Neither candidate can admit their money problems or they would go to jail.  Neither can go against the Narrative ... or the CIA would off them.  So more of the same, when that is the last thing we need.  The world of lemmings are still headed for the cliff.  Other commentators say ... both parties are ideologically exhausted.  Maybe ... or just under a CIA gag order.

I could only tolerate 10 minutes of it.  Hillary lost for lying, Trump lost for being a jerk (but that is normal in NYC).  Neither had a "fall on face" fail.

Will still be voting third party for conscience.  I don't fear either major candidate ... if the CIA wants nuclear war, then nuclear war it will be.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I'm reading a lot of comments from talking heads who are finding a lot of fault with Trump's comments during the debate, but none of the talking heads go as far as saying these gaffs, untruths, and blunders will hurt him.  I don't think I've ever heard this much media blather on how bad a candidate is in those respects, while at the same time, avoiding completely the topic of his phenomenal popularity.  In fact, I'm hearing many comments complimenting him on his stage presence (something I thought was not a strong point at all).  I mean he gets up there and keeps on going as if everything is going fine, even when he is obviously confused.  It's almost as if he doesn't realize he's confused.

No matter who wins, I expect dark days ahead in the US, and while the debate mostly annoyed me, I have to admit that I am captivated by the campaign, but it's the kind of captivation I get when I watch a David Lynch film.  Yes, I think captivated is the word I want to use in this situation.

SGOS

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/cnn-launches-manhunt-after-lester-holt-vanishes-from-debate

QuoteHEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (The Borowitz Report)â€"CNN launched an urgent manhunt Monday after Lester Holt, the moderator of the first Presidential debate of the 2016 general election, mysteriously vanished two minutes into the contest.

Network officials became concerned after the two Presidential nominees, Donald J. Trump and Hillary Clinton, were observed shrieking at each other nonstop for ninety seconds without intervention by Holt.

The executives’ alarm spiked when a camera angle intended to show Mr. Holt instead revealed that he was missing from the moderator’s chair.

CNN immediately notified law enforcement, which started searching the environs of Hofstra University, all while Clinton and Trump continued barking at each other unabated.

Jeff Zucker, the president of CNN, issued an impassioned plea to Holt to return to the debate venue at Hofstra as soon as possible. “You don’t even have to moderate the debate,” Zucker said. “We just want to know that you’re O.K.”

Nonsensei

All Trump had to do to impress his voters was show up in a suit and speak in complete sentences. We are talking about a group of people who consider a complicated socio-political issue like illegal immigration, and think the greatest solution they've ever heard is to build a big wall.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Atheon

Quote from: Nonsensei on September 27, 2016, 09:39:53 AM
All Trump had to do to impress his voters was show up in a suit and speak in complete sentences.
He succeeded in only one of these.

Of course, his supporters, every single one of whom is a pathetic subhuman turd of minimal intellectual capacity, wouldn't care; after all, he's rich and loves Jesus.

Atheon

Quote from: Baruch on September 27, 2016, 07:14:22 AMHillary lost for lying, Trump lost for being a jerk (but that is normal in NYC).  Neither had a "fall on face" fail.
Sorry, but the only lying in this debate came from the orange one. And he was called out for his lies both during and after the debate.

He can't help it. He's a Republican. Republicans are lying sacks of shit; every single one of them. It's ingrained in their very nature.