News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trailer Park

Started by Solomon Zorn, September 24, 2016, 02:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 01, 2016, 10:09:15 AM
Well, Wonder Woman has always been tied to feminism (even though she's been sexualized to appeal to men), so that's to be expected. But it didn't seem to be as obnoxiously overt as I was afraid it would be. I thought that "slavery" joke was funny (even though slaves don't get paid).

Wonder woman is designed for men not for women. From the get go. She got tied to feminism later. And which is foolish by the way because she is a masculine character too. (I don't mean her physical apperance necessarily.)

She is actually a hot, sexy looking 'man' designed to appeal to mean. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 01, 2016, 10:19:08 AM
Wonder woman is designed for men not for women. From the get go. She got tied to feminism later. And which is foolish by the way because she is a masculine character too. (I don't mean her physical apperance necessarily.)

She is actually a hot, sexy looking 'man' designed to appeal to mean.

I've always found Wonder Woman annoying because of her contradictory nature. Her costume kept shrinking and shrinking, but the stories around them were of weak feminist undertones like they were written by someone who doesn't understand anything about feminism and were trying to fake it. She has a freaking lasso that she uses to tie men up and make them tell the truth. S&M much? The DC movie universe seems to be going a different direction, though. No lasso that I've seen, but a sword and a bow and arrow to replace it. Maybe if they play their cards right, I can actually like this portrayal of Wonder Woman.

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 01, 2016, 10:32:17 AM
I've always found Wonder Woman annoying because of her contradictory nature. Her costume kept shrinking and shrinking, but the stories around them were of weak feminist undertones like they were written by someone who doesn't understand anything about feminism and were trying to fake it. She has a freaking lasso that she uses to tie men up and make them tell the truth. S&M much? The DC movie universe seems to be going a different direction, though. No lasso that I've seen, but a sword and a bow and arrow to replace it. Maybe if they play their cards right, I can actually like this portrayal of Wonder Woman.

If she was anything different, boys and men wouldn't read her.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Nonsensei

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 01, 2016, 10:32:17 AM

Saw a lasso in the trailer.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

drunkenshoe

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Nonsensei on October 01, 2016, 10:14:05 AM

The first ever drawing of Wonder Woman. Big symmetrical boobs, long shapely legs, tiny feet, bare midriff, minimal clothing, heavy makeup blush, fashionable hairstyle, sandals instead of boots.

Looks like she was sexualized from the get go.
We wouldn't want to have to wonder if she was a woman, now would we?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Nonsensei on October 01, 2016, 10:34:51 AM
Saw a lasso in the trailer.

Hmm. I guess I mentally blocked that out. At least it seems to be used as a weapon.

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Solomon Zorn

The truth-telling power of the lasso is "tied" to the cables on a lie-detector, which was invented by the same dude who invented Wonder Woman.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Nonsensei

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on October 01, 2016, 02:30:25 PM
The truth-telling power of the lasso is "tied" to the cables on a lie-detector, which was invented by the same dude who invented Wonder Woman.

Makes sense, since the effectiveness of a lie detector is about as fictional as wonder woman.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Solomon Zorn

Just came across this one. A new HBO series. I guess it already started this month, but I don't have cable. Looks compelling. Anthony Hopkins is in it.

Anybody seen it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atlyEb3GCLM

Cavebear

Quote from: Nonsensei on October 01, 2016, 04:43:32 PM
Makes sense, since the effectiveness of a lie detector is about as fictional as wonder woman.

I've read a lot about the psychologist who invented Wonder Woman.  There is too much SM in there. If her hands are bound, she is helpless.  It goes on. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Solomon Zorn

Solomon Zorn

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Solomon Zorn

I happened to google "Wonder Woman," to see how old the character is. Turns out she is 75 years old this month(in the comics, she's 5000 years old). And it looks like she was intended to be a feminist icon, from the beginning.

QuoteWonder Woman was created by the American psychologist and writer William Moulton Marston, with his wife and co-creator Elizabeth Holloway Marston, and artist H. G. Peter. Their cohabitant, Olive Byrne, is credited as being Marston's muse for the iconic characters' physical appearance. Marston drew a great deal of inspiration from early feminists, and especially from birth control pioneer Margaret Sanger. The character first appeared in All Star Comics #8 in December 1941 and first cover-dated on Sensation Comics #1, January 1942. The Wonder Woman title has been published by DC Comics almost continuously except for a brief hiatus in 1986.

Wonder Woman's origin story relates that she was sculpted from clay by her mother Queen Hippolyta and given life by Athena, along with superhuman powers as gifts by the Greek Gods. However, in recent years artists updated her profile: she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus, and jointly raised by her mother Hippolyta and her aunts Antiope and Menalippe; artists George Perez gave her a muscular look and emphasized her Amazonian heritage; artist Jim Lee redesigned Diana's costume to include pants; she inherits Ares's divine abilities, becoming the personified "God of War"; and most recently, writer Greg Rucka, clarified her sexuality, giving her a backstory that includes positive relationships with women.

Her Amazonian-training helped to develop a wide range of extraordinary skills in strategy, hunting and fighting. She possesses an arsenal of advanced technology, including the Lasso of Truth, a pair of indestructible bracelets, a tiara which serves as a projectile, and, in older stories, a range of devices based on Amazon technology. Although Diana is 5,000 years old, her first exposure to non-Amazon society as Wonder Woman will have only come within the last few 100 years. While the Amazons were originally created to protect "man's world," they ultimately abandoned it.

Wonder Woman was created during World War II; the character was initially depicted fighting Axis military forces as well as an assortment of colorful supervillains, although over time her stories came to place greater emphasis on characters, deities, and monsters from Greek mythology. Many stories depicted Wonder Woman rescuing herself from bondage, which defeated the "damsels in distress" trope that were common in comics during the 1940s.