News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trailer Park

Started by Solomon Zorn, September 24, 2016, 02:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on September 26, 2016, 07:14:29 AM
Sorcery, and the supernatural, usually bore me. Although I loved The Lord of the Rings, and The Golden Compass, JK Rowlings movies never did it for me.
Just proves you're an adult.

Sadly.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on September 26, 2016, 07:14:29 AM
Sorcery, and the supernatural, usually bore me. Although I loved The Lord of the Rings, and The Golden Compass, JK Rowlings movies never did it for me.

Myeah...muggles.

And defining The Lord of The Rings as 'sorcery and the supernatural'... I can't look at you, that is the most hurtful thing you have ever said to me.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 29, 2016, 04:11:54 AM
Myeah...muggles.

And defining The Lord of The Rings as 'sorcery and the supernatural'... I can't look at you, that is the most hurtful thing you have ever said to me.
I wouldn't say I was "defining" it that way, as that's not how I "define" it, I was just pointing out that I make an exception for those elements, within a true epic masterpiece like the Lord of the Rings. But generally, the supernatural bores or even annoys me. That was my only complaint about the new Battlestar Galactica series, it seemed to point to a divine power leading them along. Otherwise I thought it was a superbly acted sci-fi script, with outstanding visuals, and very relevant questions, like their tendency of dehumanizing their enemy. So your contention that BSG was a tele-novella, is the most hurtful thing you have ever said to me. 
:holdtears:  So I guess you owe me a kiss.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Shiranu

I was so hyped for Justice League... then I saw the director :(.

At least wonder woman looks good, and Dr strange amazing.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on September 30, 2016, 12:51:43 AM
I wouldn't say I was "defining" it that way, as that's not how I "define" it, I was just pointing out that I make an exception for those elements, within a true epic masterpiece like the Lord of the Rings. But generally, the supernatural bores or even annoys me. That was my only complaint about the new Battlestar Galactica series, it seemed to point to a divine power leading them along. Otherwise I thought it was a superbly acted sci-fi script, with outstanding visuals, and very relevant questions, like their tendency of dehumanizing their enemy. So your contention that BSG was a tele-novella, is the most hurtful thing you have ever said to me. 
:holdtears:  So I guess you owe me a kiss.

:kiss:

But BSG was weaved like telenovella. All that unnecessary strained drama annoyed you too apparently, you just define it as something else. They wanted to put certain vicious elements in the story to make it a real life hard struggle but they couldn't make it. The idea wasn't wrong, how it was applied that failed.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 30, 2016, 05:11:45 AMThey wanted to put certain vicious elements in the story to make it a real life hard struggle but they couldn't make it.
I feel it was more complex than that. The underlying question was stated by Commander Adama, in the pilot: "do we deserve to survive?" Refined more into, "what kind of people are we?" as the series progressed. The way they initially dehumanized the Cylons, then as time went on, some of them realized that such a perspective was flawed, and defended their rights.

To me, the main character, is Baltar. A machiavellian atheist, who eventually learns to use religion to survive. Not a hero by any means. Just a very self-centered human, whose cut-throat pragmatism keeps him alive in a desperate situation.

The entire tone is set by the number on President Rosylin's wall: less than 50,00 people left in the human race. And the number is always going down.

Quote from: drunkenshoeThe idea wasn't wrong, how it was applied that failed.
I feel it succeeded perfectly, at least for an american audience. Edward James Almos took the role seriously, and set the bar high for the rest of the cast.

I have watched the entire series three times now: once when it originally aired; once when I got the blu-ray set as a Christmas gift; and once with a friend(who was not a sci-fi lover), who couldn't get enough of it.

Solomon Zorn

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on October 01, 2016, 07:33:41 AM
I feel it was more complex than that. The underlying question was stated by Commander Adama, in the pilot: "do we deserve to survive?" Refined more into, "what kind of people are we?" as the series progressed. The way they initially dehumanized the Cylons, then as time went on, some of them realized that such a perspective was flawed, and defended their rights.

To me, the main character, is Baltar. A machiavellian atheist, who eventually learns to use religion to survive. Not a hero by any means. Just a very self-centered human, whose cut-throat pragmatism keeps him alive in a desperate situation.

The entire tone is set by the number on President Rosylin's wall: less than 50,00 people left in the human race. And the number is always going down.

I feel it succeeded perfectly, at least for an american audience. Edward James Almos took the role seriously, and set the bar high for the rest of the cast.

I have watched the entire series three times now: once when it originally aired; once when I got the blu-ray set as a Christmas gift; and once with a friend(who was not a sci-fi lover), who couldn't get enough of it.

Don't agree. They couldn't give any of the feelings you describe up there. Making characters say or do things is not equal to that.

We have a concept. And it fits this very well. Probably won't make any sense to you. It was too 'arabesk'. They played into low level crying drama, wallowing in personal relationships too long, trying to create twists from that point of view between just several people too much and failed to give a human race struggle of 50 000.

Solomon Zorn

QuoteWe have a concept. And it fits this very well. Probably won't make any sense to you. It was too 'arabesk'. They played into low level crying drama, wallowing in personal relationships too long, trying to create twists from that point of view between just several people too much and failed to give a human race struggle of 50 000.
I see your point-of-view clearly now.  But I would contend that a struggle for the lives of 50,000 can best be told by the limited struggles of the individual subjective struggle, of human bullshit. I guess I find it easier than you to forgive a little too much emphasis on love, because I think that would play a big part of those struggles. It's a very long and intricate story, and love and hate are both in there, along with loyalty and duplicity, vengeance and forgiveness, privilege and poverty, civilian and military, machine and flesh. You just have to look for the good in it to see a whole range of great scripts. It tries to appeal on many levels, and the emotional is one of them. I find the plot to be fascinating enough to draw me into the personal dynamics. But they had a lot of hours to fill with human drama in space, and for my viewing experience, they did it tastefully.

But I could see where, to you, it might come off as, what I like to call, "over the top." Or sometimes I call it, "sappy," or maybe more accurately, "mellowdrama." I have that reaction to a lot of popular drama, so I feel where your coming from, even if I don't share your distaste for BSG.

drunkenshoe

Yeah that's it. You got me.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on October 01, 2016, 07:41:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/embed/5lGoQhFb4NM

'It's not up to you'. 'Where I come from that's called slavery.'

Oh ffs. An Amazon super heroine who hasn't seen a man on his life before acting like a soical justice warrior and sending social messages to the human race. There will be an explosion of sjw and anti-sjw bullshit on this movie.

I need 5000s Zak and 10 000 Drizzts. I am taking out the whole thing for good. 

Entreri, (@Nonsensei) gather your men. Wait for our signal.

Nonsensei

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 01, 2016, 09:37:50 AM

Oh ffs. An Amazon super heroine who hasn't seen a man on his life before acting like a soical justice warrior and sending social messages to the human race. There will be an explosion of sjw and anti-sjw bullshit on this movie.

Generating that sort of controversy seems to be a new method for normally bad or average movies to get people in the theaters to see them. Generate a lot of sexist angst, then the SJW counter culture declares anyone who doesn't like or want to see the movie is a sexist. People flock to the theaters lest they confirm their inherent sexism.

Film company makes millions.

Fortunately, unlike Ghostbusters, this trailer is actually good.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Nonsensei on October 01, 2016, 10:03:31 AM
Generating that sort of controversy seems to be a new method for normally bad or average movies to get people in the theaters to see them. Generate a lot of sexist angst, then the SJW counter culture declares anyone who doesn't like or want to see the movie is a sexist. People flock to the theaters lest they confirm their inherent sexism.

Film company makes millions.

Fortunately, unlike Ghostbusters, this trailer is actually good.

It's probably just a couple of lines. That wouldn't be a special draw. 

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 01, 2016, 09:37:50 AM

Well, Wonder Woman has always been tied to feminism (even though she's been sexualized to appeal to men), so that's to be expected. But it didn't seem to be as obnoxiously overt as I was afraid it would be. I thought that "slavery" joke was funny (even though slaves don't get paid).
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Nonsensei

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 01, 2016, 10:09:15 AM
Well, Wonder Woman has always been tied to feminism (even though she's been sexualized to appeal to men), so that's to be expected. But it didn't seem to be as obnoxiously overt as I was afraid it would be. I thought that "slavery" joke was funny (even though slaves don't get paid).

The first ever drawing of Wonder Woman. Big symmetrical boobs, long shapely legs, tiny feet, bare midriff, minimal clothing, heavy makeup blush, fashionable hairstyle, sandals instead of boots.

Looks like she was sexualized from the get go.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on