News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheist vs Preacher

Started by GSOgymrat, September 24, 2016, 02:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Interesting interaction, although I don't consider it so much a debate as an interview with a series of half-baked leading questions. Once again, homosexuality is used as the moral litmus test.

https://youtu.be/8FIOCvJPoAM

Baruch

In the US, homosexuality is a purely political issue ... aka a religious issue.  Politics is America's real religion.  Either you tolerate variant people or you do not ... blaming G-d for one's bigotry is ... childish.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

"You don't look like an atheist."

Oh, this interview is off to a great start.

*Fifteen leading questions trying to convince her that her parents weren't good Christian parents*

Okay, I'm done. I don't know how Jaclyn has so much patience with this asshole.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Those dastardly radical homosexuals.  How dare they go into a store that sells wedding cakes and ask for a wedding cake.  Horrible!  Horrible I tells ya!

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 24, 2016, 11:13:33 AM
I don't know how Jaclyn has so much patience with this asshole.

I want to marry her and have her baby.

doorknob

yeah I can't watch much of this. This preacher is just too something. Oh what's the word I'm looking for? Guess I'll think of it later.

Any how good luck Jacklyn. I know how much trouble she's been having getting back into the community with all the constant criticism.

Johan

She was entirely too nice to that asshat.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Johan on September 24, 2016, 01:31:59 PM
She was entirely too nice to that asshat.

Given the audience of that show (or lack there of) I'm glad she was unfailingly nice. Appearances are very important. When he was mining her relationship with her parents for imperfections I wish she had responded, "I can see from your many personal questions you believe the relationship with one's parents is very important. Fortunately I was privileged to be raised in an intact household by two loving Christian parents. Since we are being so familiar, how about your family? Was your father present in your life? Do you believe in a heavenly father to fill the void of a father who was absent when you were a child?"

Hydra009

I liked Jaclyn Glenn's reaction to that preacher: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIqDQYkftUY

I've always wondered what goes on behind the scene in an interview like that and what's going through interviewee's mind as she's peppered with leading questions and bizarre tangents.  Apparently, one of Jaclyn's stipulations was dishonored - she didn't get a full, unedited copy of the interview - and she had kind of a hard time dealing with the rapid-fire format.  If she had a minute or two to think about it, she would've reacted a little more strongly to the nonsense going on.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 24, 2016, 04:22:43 PM
I liked Jaclyn Glenn's reaction to that preacher: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIqDQYkftUY

I've always wondered what goes on behind the scene in an interview like that and what's going through interviewee's mind as she's peppered with leading questions and bizarre tangents.  Apparently, one of Jaclyn's stipulations was dishonored - she didn't get a full, unedited copy of the interview - and she had kind of a hard time dealing with the rapid-fire format.  If she had a minute or two to think about it, she would've reacted a little more strongly to the nonsense going on.

I too liked hearing the behind the scenes. I don't know that challenging the preacher would have persuaded the preacher's audience, as clearly from the comments they didn't like her from the start. I think she was correct that just getting his audience to continue to listen to her was the goal.

Also, I was totally preoccupied with her cat.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 24, 2016, 04:36:02 PMI don't know that challenging the preacher would have persuaded the preacher's audience
Speaking of audience, check out those empty chairs! :D

Quoteclearly from the comments they didn't like her from the start.
Yeah, well, that's how it goes.  Present an opinion someone doesn't like and you run into this stuff all the time.  It happens.  It's frustrating to deal with, but there's not much one can do about it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 24, 2016, 04:22:43 PMApparently, one of Jaclyn's stipulations was dishonored - she didn't get a full, unedited copy of the interview -
Did anybody think they'd keep their promises?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 24, 2016, 07:18:13 PM
Did anybody think they'd keep their promises?

I would have been surprised.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 24, 2016, 07:18:13 PMDid anybody think they'd keep their promises?
Jaclyn did.  Hell, I would have if I had been in her place.  I mean, it's an easy thing to do and it'd be a extremely scummy thing to go back on.  It'd be like stabbing an intern during an armistice meeting.  Sure, you could do it, but why would you?  What's in it for you?

Blackleaf

After them going back on their first promise, and looking up his previous videos with other victims and seeing how he likes to try to force people into a corner, I would have backed out.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--