"Real Reason White People Say, 'All Lives Matter.' "

Started by Shiranu, September 22, 2016, 12:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Atheon on September 23, 2016, 09:47:01 AM
"If you’re like me, growing up, the word 'Black' was always spoken of in whispers in your family. It was like we were saying something taboo."

Not in my family. We had productive discussions about race relations. My parents (and community I grew up in) were and are vigorously opposed to racism.

Oh, and while growing up, I learned it's racist to capitalize "Black" and "White".
Yeah. that's another segment that makes me feel like this article was written out of guilt for his own racism, whether he's still racist towards black people, or was in the past.

Sent from your mom.

pr126

Constantly mentioning, writing about racism, is like picking at a scab, never letting the wound heal.

Some people always see racism, even when  there is none.
Using the term as a blunt instrument either to shut people up, or evoke guilt, or fear.
Virtue signalling? White guilt?

Enough already.

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on September 23, 2016, 01:04:06 PM
Constantly mentioning, writing about racism, is like picking at a scab, never letting the wound heal.

Using the term as a blunt instrument either to shut people up, or evoke guilt, or fear.

Enough already.

"There is an issue, and the best way to 'fix it' is to never acknowledge it exists."

Yeah, that is historically correct. :roll:
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

As a white guy that lives in as a minority in South Texas I can tell you racism against white people is rapid to the point of depression. When in fact many other "races" see me they scowl and say shit to other people about me in front of me. This BLM and ALM is both representing racist shit and goes way back to the black panthers, the KKK, the Nazis, the Anti Irish natives and further back. Because if one "race" holds the standard of supereiorness then it will turn to hate faster than you could say I told you so. Just like the hate on "colored people" those same people are gonna respond to it with hate. I was born to this world after such terrible racist bullshit and am being subjective to the hate on white people, which people say "the sins of the father or cousin" and that really grinds my gears, I mean I have never said nigger(which learned from a black history awareness videos, total Irony I know) to a black person or any racial slur and yet I'm succumb to racial slurs against white people all the time. This is bullshit! Everytime I hear people protecting racial shit like BLM I obviously thing while it might provide some good protest it will eventually evolve to a racist party.

pr126

Hell no, it is being discussed ad infinitum 24/7.

Can't miss it for a second.

Racist, racism. Racist, racism. Racist, racism. Racist, racism. Racist, racism. Racist, racism. Racist, racism. Racist, racism.

Nice beard Shir.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 23, 2016, 11:18:21 AM
I think there would be far less controversy if the movement had been called "Black Lives Matter, Too." But that's just another one of my Harmful Opinions.
I think it's less about the controversy and more about the direction the movement inevitably went. Now, instead of making a statement that black people need to be given equal treatment to white people, it turned in to a horrible violence-generating monster. The BLM members are the ones that are generating violence, starting protests chanting a call to kill cops.... starting riots to "beat all the whites". That was not the initial goal, but it is where the movement has become, whether people supporting the movement want to recognize it or not. The initial message was good. A little controversy is usually very good for the reason that it gets people thinking. If someone is offended, it means they're thinking in a way they aren't comfortable and aren't used to thinking.
BLM is not the animal it started out as. It's become a hateful, violent shitstorm.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: pr126 on September 23, 2016, 01:04:06 PM

Enough already.

I don't think I agree with this...

We need to talk about racism because of the fact that it still exists. The method needs to be changed. "How?" though, is the question, and I don't know that answer.

widdershins

Quote from: Shiranu on September 23, 2016, 11:48:00 AM
You are probably right, it just feels like that should be obvious what it means. I also don't see it as a big issue because it says matters... Not Black Lives Are Important or something that gives the impression of superiority.
It is obvious what it means, unless you don't want it to be.  As has already been mentioned, language is easy to twist and even the obvious can be made to seem as if it's obscure if you really want to make something look stupid.  Hell, some of the responses to the article and the responses to those responses show that.  The article is clearly suggesting that "white people are racist".  It does not say it outright, but the implication is so clear that it is very difficult to miss...unless you want to miss it.

And the writer has committed a cardinal sin very closely related to racism; assuming that all people in a particular group are the same.  People who say, "White lives matter" or "All lives matter" all have X reason for doing so.  That just isn't true.  It cannot possibly be true.  We are not automatons or clones.  Each person is a unique individual with their own thoughts and reasons.  SOME, perhaps even MANY who say one of these things are actively being racist.  Others are actively being racist but don't realize that race is their motivation.  But surely some are just stupid.  They hear the message but don't understand it.  They are hearing "The lives of black people are more important than those of group X".  That's clearly not the intent of the message, but it's difficult to be precise with a 3 word title.  There MUST be those out there who are not inherently racist who simply misheard the message and are sincerely trying to correct it.

Any time someone makes a blanket statement about an entire group that statement is wrong.  There is no single reason why someone may counter "Black lives matter" with "Blue lives matter" or "All lives matter".  And certainly not all people who say, "All lives matter" really mean "White lives matter".  All lives DO matter, but if you say that as a response to the BLM movement you are missing the point.  Or potentially a racist.  But there is no single thing that can be said of all people of a very large group.  The article reads like it was written by someone who had an epiphany about themselves and projected that onto all white people everywhere, perhaps as a subconscious effort to alleviate their own guilt by pretending it wasn't really their fault, the white made them do it.

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on September 23, 2016, 01:15:28 PM
As a white guy that lives in as a minority in South Texas I can tell you racism against white people is rapid to the point of depression. When in fact many other "races" see me they scowl and say shit to other people about me in front of me. This BLM and ALM is both representing racist shit and goes way back to the black panthers, the KKK, the Nazis, the Anti Irish natives and further back. Because if one "race" holds the standard of supereiorness then it will turn to hate faster than you could say I told you so. Just like the hate on "colored people" those same people are gonna respond to it with hate. I was born to this world after such terrible racist bullshit and am being subjective to the hate on white people, which people say "the sins of the father or cousin" and that really grinds my gears, I mean I have never said nigger(which learned from a black history awareness videos, total Irony I know) to a black person or any racial slur and yet I'm succumb to racial slurs against white people all the time. This is bullshit! Everytime I hear people protecting racial shit like BLM I obviously thing while it might provide some good protest it will eventually evolve to a racist party.
This post sums up what I'm saying pretty well.  Different people, different experiences.  I'm from rednecksville, where whitey is just starting to complain about all the black people moving into town recently, disguising it as a bitch about someone moving poor people from bigger cities into low-rent subsidized housing instead of the barely hidden, "We're going to be overrun by not-white-people!"  Here the racism I experience is as a white person, from white people, directed at others.  Draconic is the minority white and thus experiences racism as a white recipient.  Surely if we were both to counter "Black lives matter" with "All lives matter" our reasoning would not be the same.
This sentence is a lie...

Gawdzilla Sama

"I don't think there was any racism until Obama got elected. We never had problems like this... Now, with people with the guns, and shooting up neighborhoods, and not being responsible citizens, that's a big change. And I think that's a philosophy that Obama has perpetuated on America. I think that's his responsibility... If people have jobs and go to work and do what they're supposed to do, there is no racism."
â€" Ohio Trump campaign county chairperson Kathy Miller
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

widdershins

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2016, 01:26:29 PM
"I don't think there was any racism until Obama got elected. We never had problems like this... Now, with people with the guns, and shooting up neighborhoods, and not being responsible citizens, that's a big change. And I think that's a philosophy that Obama has perpetuated on America. I think that's his responsibility... If people have jobs and go to work and do what they're supposed to do, there is no racism."
â€" Ohio Trump campaign county chairperson Kathy Miller
I don't think I've ever "liked" a post that made me physically sick before.

pr126

PickelledEggs wrote:
QuoteI don't think I agree with this...

We need to talk about racism because of the fact that it still exists. The method needs to be changed. "How?" though, is the question, and I don't know that answer.

It is impossible to change people's mindset once they have internalised racism, perhaps taught by parents, which is stupid and malicious.

Re-education? Persuasion? will it work? I do not know.
But I think there are enough laws and legislations in place to curb it, if not to eradicate it.

However, at the present (in America mainly) there is an open hostility which is artificially fomented by certain groups.

Somebody is fanning the flames. This is manufactured.

widdershins

Quote from: pr126 on September 23, 2016, 01:53:19 PM
PickelledEggs wrote:
It is impossible to change people's mindset once they have internalised racism, perhaps taught by parents, which is stupid and malicious.

But I think there are enough laws and legislations in place to curb it, if not to eradicate it.

However, at the present (in America mainly) there is an open hostility which is artificially fomented by certain groups.

I don't think it's manufactured.  For as long as I have known many blacks have been openly racist against whites.  I remember hearing "White people are racist" in the '90s, an overtly racist statement.  Blacks have suffered racism for 200+ years in this country, longer around the world and it has made them angry.  Many of them long ago started seeing white people, their most populous oppressors, as a single group of "bad" people, making them racist.  Their racism, in turn, feeds white racism against them, feeding their racism against whites in a never ending circle.  It's going to take a lot of time and understanding on all sides for the issue to ever actually heal.  I don't think it's likely to happen in the lifetimes of my children's children.  It's ever bubbling under the surface, boiling over every few decades before going back to a low simmer we can all forget about for a while longer.

There are definitely some people fanning the flames, but I think most of them are doing it unintentionally. The quote Gawdzilla posted is one example of this.  And there may be some covert agents purposely doing it for some clandestine reason.  But mostly I just think it's the way things are and the way they will remain until time has healed the particular wounds that all sides keep inflicting on each other.  As time goes on the wounds get less and less serious.  The last time it boiled over in a serious way was the Civil Rights movement, which brought laws to make things better and to make future wounds less serious.  And groups like the KKK are dying out and losing all power and influence, taking away much of the organization in overt racism.  I think this will blow over, hopefully with some meaningful changes made, only to resurface again in another half century or so.

Gawdzilla Sama

I never internalized the racism the Y-donor put out. He was a Kluxxer and it was "n*gg*r this" and "n*gg*r that" all the time. I think he was the antidote for his own hate speech.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

Quote from: pr126 on September 23, 2016, 01:53:19 PM
PickelledEggs wrote:

If not for the people that have it deeply ingrained, we need to do it for the newer generations to come.

Gerard

Of course all lives matter, but we are delving into a situation where slogans are used for different purposes than the actual matter at hand.

Gerard