News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Career, what is it?

Started by randomvim, September 26, 2016, 01:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Johan on October 27, 2016, 08:55:29 PM
What's a career? Is it the job you happen to be doing now? Is it the job or field you're in or ultimately want to end up in?

I actually wear many different hats at work but at the core of it, I work for a trucking company and my primary role is being the boss. Or actually one of the bosses. I'm not the big boss, more the little boss, my boss is the big boss. Still, what I say goes and if you don't straighten up and fly right when I tell you to, you end up answering to the big boss. And uncomfortable meetings with him are usually far more uncomfortable than uncomfortable meetings with me.

Is that my career? I guess its my career right now. I really like where I am and what I'm doing so hopefully it will be my career from here on out. What I've learned is that while I know trucking fairly well and I'm fairly good at it, what I'm actually good at is being a boss. So if we had to move next week, I'd probably look for a similar job in trucking, but if I couldn't find one specifically in trucking, I'd look for a management position involving or related to logistics of some sort in whatever industry was available.

Logistics are good, every company needs that.  I managed information.  Everyone needs that too.  Its harder to prove the need, but be out sick a couple days and they are sure glad to have you back...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Dull but steady work is good.  Exciting unsteady work is hard on your cash flow.  Be an undertaker, people are dying for your services ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.