News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Injun Summer Chicago Tribune

Started by SGOS, October 16, 2016, 04:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

The Chicago Daily Tribune used to put this cartoon and included text on the front page of the paper every year in the fall.  It would appear dead center on the page where the political cartoon would usually be.  My family always looked forward to it, and as a little kid it was a fun tradition that became part of my life, at least until I left when I was seventeen.  I don't know if they still publish it or not.  It might be a politically incorrect.  I got to remembering it and googled and sure enough there it was.

QuoteYep, sonny this is sure enough Injun summer. Don't know what that is, I reckon, do you? Well, that's when all the homesick Injuns come back to play; You know, a long time ago, long afore yer granddaddy was born even, there used to be heaps of Injuns around hereâ€"thousandsâ€"millions, I reckon, far as that's concerned. Reg'lar sure 'nough Injunsâ€"none o' yer cigar store Injuns, not much. They wuz all around hereâ€"right here where you're standin'.

Don't be skeeredâ€"hain't none around here now, leastways no live ones. They been gone this many a year.

They all went away and died, so they ain't no more left.

But every year, 'long about now, they all come back, leastways their sperrits do. They're here now. You can see 'em off across the fields. Look real hard. See that kind o' hazy misty look out yonder? Well, them's Injunsâ€"Injun sperrits marchin' along an' dancin' in the sunlight. That's what makes that kind o' haze that's everywhereâ€"it's jest the sperrits of the Injuns all come back. They're all around us now.

See off yonder; see them tepees? They kind o' look like corn shocks from here, but them's Injun tents, sure as you're a foot high. See 'em now? Sure, I knowed you could. Smell that smoky sort o' smell in the air? That's the campfires a-burnin' and their pipes a-goin'.

Lots o' people say it's just leaves burnin', but it ain't. It's the campfires, an' th' Injuns are hoppin' 'round 'em t'beat the old Harry.

You jest come out here tonight when the moon is hangin' over the hill off yonder an' the harvest fields is all swimmin' in the moonlight, an' you can see the Injuns and the tepees jest as plain as kin be. You can, eh? I knowed you would after a little while.

Jever notice how the leaves turn red 'bout this time o' year? That's jest another sign o' redskins. That's when an old Injun sperrit gits tired dancin' an' goes up an' squats on a leaf t'rest. Why I kin hear 'em rustlin' an' whisper in' an' creepin' 'round among the leaves all the time; an' ever' once'n a while a leaf gives way under some fat old Injun ghost and comes floatin' down to the ground. Seeâ€"here's one now. See how red it is? That's the war paint rubbed off'n an Injun ghost, sure's you're born.

Purty soon all the Injuns'll go marchin' away agin, back to the happy huntin' ground, but next year you'll see 'em troopin' backâ€"th' sky jest hazy with 'em and their campfires smolderin' away jest like they are now.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 16, 2016, 06:14:36 PM
INGEN is into dinosaurs now.

The cartoon was first published in 1907, I believe, and appeared annually into and probably beyond the 1960s.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on October 16, 2016, 06:28:27 PM
The cartoon was first published in 1907, I believe, and appeared annually into and probably beyond the 1960s.
Educational!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Is saying "Death to PC" not PC?  Native Americans need to get over it ... we aren't giving their land back.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on October 16, 2016, 11:26:48 PM
Is saying "Death to PC" not PC?  Native Americans need to get over it ... we aren't giving their land back.

It depends on how PC is defined.  I have a friend who insists that "politically correct" doesn't have any meaning.  I respect him and struggle trying to understand that, but politically correct does have meaning to me, and I puzzle over what it might be that I'm missing.  The disparity of the following definitions suggest that the phrase is not precisely defined yet.

My definition:
Correct by popular opinion.  May or may not be correct morally or intellectually.

With 67% of the voters supporting, it was politically correct to invade Iraq.  But the morality of the event was questionable, and intellectually, it could not accomplish long term goals.

Google:
exhibiting (or failing to exhibit) political correctness.
synonyms: unoffensive, nondiscriminatory, unbiased, neutral, appropriate, nonpartisan;

Webster:
agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people

Urban Dictionary:
A way that we speak in America so we don't offend whining pussies.

SGOS

Many of Donald Trump's ideas are widely popular.  Would that make him politically correct?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 17, 2016, 06:39:59 AM
Many of Donald Trump's ideas are widely popular.  Would that make him politically correct?

Not to Progressives ... but after the election and nuclear war, they won't be a problem anymore, because we will have more serious problems to worry about.  Disclaimer ... I neither vote for or approve of the boorishness of Mr Trump.  I simply think that progress is over-rated ... it hasn't progressed as much as Progressives think, and their agenda isn't as nice as they think it is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: SGOS on October 17, 2016, 06:39:59 AM

Quote from: Baruch on October 17, 2016, 07:15:53 AM
Not to Progressives

Agreed.  What I'm wondering now is whether political correctness is the exclusive domain of progressives?  If so, then my friend would be correct.  It would really have no real meaning, other than just being a pejorative label. 

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 16, 2016, 06:14:36 PM
INGEN is into dinosaurs now.

During the time that everyone was so enamored with the annual appearance of the cartoon, the focus was on the vestigial remains of summer, the coming of Halloween, and the enchantment of spirits briefly asserting themselves among the wigwams of corn stalks, poetically similar to the waning summer reasserting itself one last time before the coming of winter.  The word "Injun" never occurred to me as a pejorative and did not contaminate the magic.  It was just an old word, already out of date in my childhood, but still used by Hollywood in John Wayne movies, and occasionally by some old timer, who himself was out of date, but still able to impart old timer "wisdom" to any young boy willing to listen to his musings.

I remembered the cartoon fondly.  When I googled it, I recoiled at the word "Injun," however.  But in defense of the cartoon, Injun was just a word used by people at the time who could be understood as uneducated enough to think it was an actual word that accurately described Native American.

Atheon

The only people who use the term "politically correct" are right-wingers using it mockingly or critically, and left-wingers using it ironically. I don't think anyone uses it in a serious tone, such as saying "Don't say/do that; it's not politically correct" with a straight face. If they do, they're pretty sad people.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on October 17, 2016, 11:25:06 AM
The only people who use the term "politically correct" are right-wingers using it mockingly or critically, and left-wingers using it ironically. I don't think anyone uses it in a serious tone, such as saying "Don't say/do that; it's not politically correct" with a straight face. If they do, they're pretty sad people.

Is that why campuses had a hysteria over safe zones from hate speech a year ago?  Seems pretty alive among Millennials or liberal arts college professors.

But what you are really saying is ... don't use PC as a term, unless you are a flaming liberal ... to a flaming liberal, their ideology is righteousness itself.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.