News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello, and need some help

Started by NicolePlyler, September 18, 2016, 02:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicolePlyler

Hello my name is Nicole, I'm new to all of this. I'm not sure if I consider myself an atheist. Anymore I have no idea what I am . I was a person of faith. For years I have devoted to the Christian faith. It was until recently I came out as a transgender woman that I have received so much hate from my fellow Christians. I am doomed to hell fire and brimstone. As a Christian I was taught to love my neighbor and never pass judgment. I was always taught that god loved everyone but yet, when I came out as different. I'm am no longer loved.

Anymore I dont know what's true. There so many conflicting arguments. Personally I have never really felt a connection with god. I guess the only reason I have ever devoted myself to the faith was out of fear. My parents and grandparents are hard core Christian. Idk I guess I came here to ask what evidence is there that god isn't real, and any evidents that the Bible is false. I would really like to seek the truth.

Gawdzilla Sama

We don't have to prove the Bible is false, believers have to prove it's true.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Hello Nicole, and welcome to our little band of heathens.

Sorry to hear about your recent problems. You walk a hard and difficult path, and you have my sympathies for it.

I can't, however provide you with evidence that god isn't real. Though the severe lack of evidence that he is real or that the Bible is true should tell us one thing or another. And while we can all make rational arguments as to why the typical Judeo-Christian God seems unlikely and that if there is a deity it is obvious that he wouldn't be all-powerfull and all-knowing and-all loving, proving a negative is tricky.
Rather than looking for proof that God isn't real, try taking a closer look at this 'proof' in favor of God. See with an unbiased mind and unbiased eyes and ask yourself if it really counts as evidence. Dare question.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

You are not the only person of variant sexuality here.  And you are among friends.  Many of us are older, but there are young people too.  Really the leitmotif is more bohemian than atheist, but you don't have to wear love beads or hail from Prague.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

When people are mean to me (admittedly a rarity) I just thank them for showing their Christian Love. They usually leave me alone after that.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

Like you I was taught that god loved everyone, then I actually read the babble and put that shut to rest. Do yourself a favor. Read the babble, take notes, and read that shit again. Reading the whole babble is the cure for religion of the christian kind.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Johan

Welcome Nicole. I hope you find acceptance here and elsewhere in your life.

Quote from: NicolePlyler on September 18, 2016, 02:34:31 PM
Idk I guess I came here to ask what evidence is there that god isn't real, and any evidents that the Bible is false.
If I said I can poop solid gold bricks anytime I wanted to but as of right now I simply don't want to, how could anyone prove me wrong? I'm telling you that I can do it but I just choose not to. Prove me wrong. You can't do it.

But what you can do is prove that although I claim to be able to poop gold bricks, no evidence exists anywhere that I've ever actually done it. Of course I'm not saying that I've actually done it, I'm only saying that I can do it if I choose to and right now, I don't choose to.

So am I lying or can I really do it? How can you know for sure? You can't. But you can know that there's no evidence that I can do it. You can also know that there is no evidence that anyone else can do it. You can know that there is no evidence that any carbon-based sentient being can do it. And from that, you can draw your own conclusions.

It works exactly the same way with god. Is there any solid evidence that god exists? Nope. Is there any solid evidence that any other super natural being exists? Nope. And from that, we can each draw our own conclusions.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful