News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Blair Witch Movie

Started by Hydra009, September 18, 2016, 11:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 18, 2016, 02:59:56 PM
I can't watch scary movies. Even the shitty ones, so I won't be a good gauge for it. I have heard from a few of my friends that they really enjoyed it though. Although, you know my stance on remakes. Don't. do. it.... unless maybe until 50 years later. Or you're remaking "Hulk"

Or the Haunting.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: huit on December 13, 2016, 12:05:10 AM
I would love to watch it in the theater.

It was low budget, props fashioned out of bundles of sticks, and actors with no previous experience.  But it WAS creepy.  Really creepy.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on December 13, 2016, 09:23:18 AMIt was low budget, props fashioned out of bundles of sticks, and actors with no previous experience.  But it WAS creepy.  Really creepy.
I think most of it was the fact that it was more covert than overt.  In the first Blair Witch, a monster didn't jump out at you.  You had some hikers coming across creepy stuff - strange noises at night, clearly human-made stick men and piles of rocks despite them never encountering other people - while they keep talking about that area's dark history.  It psychologically primes you for fear and paranoia.  It turns your imagination against you, and most people are way better at scaring themselves than other people.  The first Blair Witch ran on the Nothing Is Scarier trope and it really worked for them.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on December 13, 2016, 09:23:18 AM
It was low budget, props fashioned out of bundles of sticks, and actors with no previous experience.  But it WAS creepy.  Really creepy.

it was in a time when the internet wasn't as mainstream as it is now and so they could get away with making up things in advertising for films they can't do today. Thats what gave the movie its hype, marketed as something real found footage, and a lot of young people thought the hype must be true

The advantage to the digital age is also the disadvantage to building such hype around these things.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Iirc, it was one of the first movies to try to viral internet marketing.  Its novelty might've played a big part of its success.

Unbeliever

This picture reminds me of Blair Witch, for some reason:

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman