News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Climate Change is Racist

Started by PickelledEggs, September 16, 2016, 02:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

I would just like to say that I think "the issue" probably varied from supporter to supporter, the only "concrete" is what the organization itself put out, and the best way to know that would be to look at what they actually said.

http://time.com/4479878/black-lives-matter-uk-london-airport-messaging/

QuoteIn the video also released on the day of the protest, activists call for the opening of borders as they hammer home the message that “climate change is racist.”  They explain in the clip that environmental issues disproportionately affects people in the global south. “By 2050 there will be 200 million climate refugees…seven out of ten of the countries most affected by climate change are in sub-saharan Africa.”

I think it is in that article or the BBC op where it explains the "Climate Change is Racist" quote is from a larger banner and phrase saying that, "The Climate Crisis is a Racist Crisis", and taken in context has a much different connotation, and an accurate connotation than the headline leads you to believe. Which therein lies a problem I have mentioned before; because it is a "news" outlet, people will believe what they want from headlines without actually reading the content as happened here.

Linking the video itself is a pain in the ass for me, since it is linked on twitter and there is probably a way to get it here, but I am too stupid to figure it out. It is near the bottom of the article.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

widdershins

Quote from: Nonsensei on September 21, 2016, 04:37:05 PM
Maybe you should stop consulting the article as if it were the Bible on this story.
What the fuck are you talking about?  It was the information provided.

Quote from: aitm on September 21, 2016, 09:14:09 PM
If only we could all just follow along with our threats to ignore those that piss us off from time to time. But alas, we all like that one last shot. Let's give it a deep breath all.
That's exactly what I'm doing.  My last post was not a response to anyone here, nor did it mention nor address anyone here.

I should probably read every thread in this post to figure out what the fuck it is about this story that has everyone so butthurt and bitchy about an opinion that isn't theirs.
This sentence is a lie...

SoldierofFortune

I don't approve of the slogan they use used to make the protest take attetion among those whoever they want to be listened to., If this isn't a show...

In my oppinion, it should be changed ''all lives matter'' instead of this, at least ethically but who cares...But there is a difference between ethic and moral, which based on Kant's distinction. Moral covers more pratically meaning. Ethic may be ''ideal'' and living in man's heart,--i know it's living, people are same but world changed-- our destiny is directed pratically more. This can make the situation legitimate, if you don't evaluate it according to humanist philosophy which was valid value in frech revolution-egalite, fraternite, liberte- That is, that old days...what a crazy revolution. : )

Nonsensei

Quote from: widdershins on September 22, 2016, 10:27:31 AM
What the fuck are you talking about?  It was the information provided.

That article was incomplete, getting almost nothing right. There are posts in this thread that expand hugely on the real reasons and motivations behind this protest, such as the post I made on page 1.

Stop treating the article as if it were the final authority on this issue it isn't. It's actually a terrible source.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

widdershins

Quote from: Nonsensei on September 22, 2016, 11:22:04 AM
That article was incomplete, getting almost nothing right. There are posts in this thread that expand hugely on the real reasons and motivations behind this protest, such as the post I made on page 1.

Stop treating the article as if it were the final authority on this issue it isn't. It's actually a terrible source.
As I mentioned, I didn't read all the posts in the thread.  I am a computer technician, so I rarely touch a computer when I'm not at work and my time here is limited.  I read the article linked in the first post and commented on that.  I had no idea that the "incomplete information" in the article was enough to get so many people so bent out of shape.  I guess I should have figured, given the sensitive attitudes toward the movement, that people would get emotional over the BLM movement looking stupid in any way.  I didn't stop to think that most people see it as "a movement" instead of "a bunch of unrelated people with an issue".  I don't associate every BLM protest with the general message of the BLM movement.  It is not an organized group which vets its membership, so I understand there is going to be the occasional moron in the mix.  I know from other articles that many people, especially Republicans, don't see it this way, but then they seem to think "black people" is this group of people who are all responsible for what each individual in the group has done, assuming, of course, that thing was a bad thing.

My apologies for making a quick comment without going out and gathering all the facts first.  I did not think it would be a big deal.  In my defense, however, a simple "It has already been stated that these aren't all the facts" goes a lot further toward correcting the situation than "You fucking moron!  Your opinion is stupid!"  But, given the source of the first response, I really don't expect a measured, intelligent, logical response when there are gut reactions to be posted.

Shiranu

QuoteI didn't stop to think that most people see it as "a movement" instead of "a bunch of unrelated people with an issue".  I don't associate every BLM protest with the general message of the BLM movement.  It is not an organized group which vets its membership, so I understand there is going to be the occasional moron in the mix.

I haven't followed what has been going on between you two, and have agreed with bits of both of yall's posts, but that aside I just want to say this may be one of the most relevant things posted about the BLM I have seen posted on this forum yet.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

widdershins

Quote from: Shiranu on September 23, 2016, 01:10:02 PM
I haven't followed what has been going on between you two, and have agreed with bits of both of yall's posts, but that aside I just want to say this may be one of the most relevant things posted about the BLM I have seen posted on this forum yet.
Thank you.  It's always nice to hear something other than, "You're stupid!"

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on September 23, 2016, 01:10:02 PM

He is jacked about me responding to his post with sarcasm and ridicule. Nobody called him stupid, or a moron, or insulted him, or engaged in ad hominem. He was told that he is making a mistake operating on the article and how it was presented in the thread by Nonsensei and before that I said his post was ridiculous and condescending, because it was.

So I am the ass who ridiculed his post - actually more like satirised, I was also trying to be funny.

Unfortunately, he is still not aware what happened between that 'first response' and this page. Between us, I am always fascinated how much Dawkins is right about on how ridicule or satire work. It works on all of us, the same way. Without exception.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

Charming.

What bit of it was idiotic, if you don't mind me asking.

Cavebear

As they pointed out in the play 'South Pacific', "you have to be carefully taught". 

I'm not immune to vague racist concerns.  My parents were from New England and while conservative, believed all people were the same.  Their bias showed a few times but they were trying.  I'd like to think I'm doing better.  I had a friend who pointed out that "we are all red on the inside". 

I know about evolution.  Groups of us changed surface color to get more vitamin And eye color to adjust to sunlight glare.  I don't have children, but my nieces and nephews seem to less concerned with surface differences than I am. 

As my great-grandparents saw differences between themselves and Irish or Italian immigrants and we no longer see those today, so will other surface differences seem to our descendants to be equally unimportant.

It has been moving in this direction for centuries, since before Shakespeare had Shylock cry out "if you prick us, do we not bleed".  We know everyone is the same. The hard part is getting everyone to accept it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!