News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Something fishy going on

Started by widdershins, September 13, 2016, 01:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: widdershins on September 19, 2016, 05:28:38 PM
Yeah, what I found strange, though, is that they were sent at all given that I'm not registered as a Republican.
Your name and address are on record somewhere, so you got the letter.
QuoteAs I said, I think what they're doing is the same thing they did in North Carolina in 2012.  Immediately after the vote they came up with a brand new excuse, that people might die before election day, for trying to get rid of absentee voting altogether, so it either didn't have the intended effect of producing more Republican votes or its failed intention was to have dead people voting.
The people in power want to stay in power, no news there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

I want stuff I don't have, or want to keep the stuff I do have ... I feel so sorry for the privileged!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on September 17, 2016, 10:02:23 AM
he felt they were holding the British Empire back ...
It's hard to see how anyone could come up with such a silly idea... :headscratch:
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 21, 2016, 05:15:07 PM
It's hard to see how anyone could come up with such a silly idea... :headscratch:

Sarcasm?  Not that the Church of England minded killing the Irish thru starvation ... but the Evangelicals didn't like the slave trade.  So church support for imperialism was ... waffling in his day.  Generally speaking, I don't know that the late Romans let the barbarians do their fighting for them, because they were being all so Christian, as much as they were sick and tired of endless civil war.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

The Romans offered citizenship to retired barbarian soldiers. The ones with a culture of fighting realized they could get a good life as a Roman citizen just for doing what they would have done against the Romans. This became so popular that the Roman armies became largely foreign volunteers. There was no need to recruit Romans in that situation and the popularity of military service waned among the natural born Romans. The eloi turned their safety over to the morlocks.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 21, 2016, 07:25:02 PM
The Romans offered citizenship to retired barbarian soldiers. The ones with a culture of fighting realized they could get a good life as a Roman citizen just for doing what they would have done against the Romans. This became so popular that the Roman armies became largely foreign volunteers. There was no need to recruit Romans in that situation and the popularity of military service waned among the natural born Romans. The eloi turned their safety over to the morlocks.

US military is at the beginning of the same trend ... but has reversed it in the 1990s for now.  Military service is pushed as a way up for the poor citizen ... but poor foreigners are also accepted.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

The Navy accepts foreign-born, non-naturalized citizens as a matter of course. I've served with Filipino, Brit, Mexican and Canadian sailors.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 22, 2016, 11:53:28 AM
The Navy accepts foreign-born, non-naturalized citizens as a matter of course. I've served with Filipino, Brit, Mexican and Canadian sailors.

Good ... no Goths or Vandals then ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on September 22, 2016, 11:55:17 AM
Good ... no Goths or Vandals then ;-)
When I was married they had a "Hun" in the ranks. My wife said so.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

I am not surprised at the deception at all.  Scoundrels abound.   I have gotten a few of those deceits in my time.  A true analyst never falls for such tricks.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!