News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

PSA for Incoming Religious Folks

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, September 12, 2016, 06:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob

what about all the other millions of religions out there? How do we know one of those aren't the true religion?

How much time was spent studying each and every one of them? :P

Baruch

For naive religious folks, comparative religion is very enlightening.  For others, not so much.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Simon Moon on October 05, 2016, 08:23:19 PM

So, if evolution were disproved, would you then become a theist?
Is it one or the other? Science or magic? There's no middle ground?
Evolution is a fact, so there is no disproving it any more than there's disproving that oxygen exists.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 05, 2016, 10:35:05 PM
Let's face it, evolution is not ever going to be proven wrong. It's pretty much a scientific fact that it did happen and will continue to happen in the future, just as the earth has always and will always rotate around the sun. Even if evolution were the only thing keeping us from become theists, it would be an impossible task to discredit it anyway.
The way my dad once put it to me as a kid, "Evolution is one of those theories with enough backing that even if it were disproven, any alternative theory would have to be so similar that we probably wouldn't bother to change the name."
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Your visually annoying graphic aside, that was actually a very impressive statement.   Where did you steal it from?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!