News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Intro. Am I doing this thing correctly? 😅

Started by FRANCES_22, September 11, 2016, 09:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FRANCES_22

Intro... From central California, now in Southern California. Entire family is Catholic and I have no one to talk to about intellectually stimulating topics. No one I know is Atheist or even questioning so I'd love to talk to some people!

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

PickelledEggs

Solomon Zorn

Welcome, Frances. Is 22 your age by any chance?

I have four atheist friends. Two are racist, and homophobic, although both are highly rational in other areas. Of those two one is a close friend and, the other is the friend of a friend, who died. The other two are artists of some renown. One of whom is an internationally recognized sculptor, and the other was his mentor in our teenage years, and also once my boss. I don't see any of them much any more.

I have another friend that is an agnostic, but tells everybody that he worships Thor. I see him on a monthly basis.

But mostly I see my non-specific-Christian family. They never push it in my face. They generally don't like to talk about religion at all.  My 14 year old great-nephew, is showing signs of skepticism, though. I'm hoping someday to talk more in-depth with him about it.

Like you, I don't get to talk much, with anybody around here, about interesting topics. So I come to the Atheist Forums.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

SGOS

Quote from: FRANCES_22 on September 11, 2016, 09:47:54 PM
Intro... From central California, now in Southern California. Entire family is Catholic and I have no one to talk to about intellectually stimulating topics. No one I know is Atheist or even questioning so I'd love to talk to some people!

Welcome.  There are lots of people in Southern California.  You probably do know some atheists.  Most don't advertise it.  I've been surprised a few times.  I have friends that don't believe in gods of any sort, but they would never refer to themselves as atheists.  Most of my atheist friends are actually like that.  And when you think about that it makes sense.  "Atheist" is a unique word.  Most nouns refer to things or concepts of some sort.  But not believing in gods isn't a thing, and it's not really much of a concept.  It refers to being nothing.  In fact, you couldn't even be an atheist if theists didn't exist.  If no one believed in a god, and you announced that you didn't believe in a god, people would wonder why you felt compelled to convey such a piece of useless information about the nothing that describes you.

aitm

G as in greetings....yeah.....that's all I got...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Greetings. I'm the one they warned you about.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Brian37

I wasn't doing it correctly, that is why my x wife left me. BA DUM CHA....

Be sure and barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Hi Frances!  :bigbye:

Glad you found us! I too have an impossible time trying to find anyone who likes talking about intellectually stimulating topics. Mostly people just seem to talk about their own tiny lives and concerns. No one I know cares anything at all about math, science, philosophy, or any of the other things I like to think about. I'm glad we have places like this (though other such places aren't nearly as cool) in which to get some feedback on our thoughts.

Enjoy your time with us!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Oh, we love to talk!  You may have noticed that already.  And welcome!  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009