News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Camp Kitchen

Started by PopeyesPappy, September 11, 2016, 12:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

I've always been more of backpacker type camper. If you don't want to carry it on your back you can live without it. That kind of roughing it isn't Karen's thing, but she and the dog have decided they would like to try some car camping. So fall break is the first week of October, and we are planning a camping trip to Fall Creek Falls state park. In an effort to give her more of the comforts of home I bought some camp kitchen gear.

First there is a Cabelas Deluxe Camp Kitchen. It has work space, storage and a built in sink for clean up. I set it up on the patio Saturday to check things out. It was pretty easy to setup and break down. I didn't take any pictures, but it looks like this.

I also picked up a two burner propane stove, a 16" x 36" griddle and a Coleman camp oven with a small pizza stone to go in it. Supposed to help the oven hold heat... Once again I set everything up on the patio this morning and we used it to cook breakfast to make sure everything worked.

And here are the results.

Everything worked good.

FYI I normally wouldn't cook biscuits and pancakes, but wanted to try the pancake on the griddle and test the oven.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

I'm more of a back packer myself, but as a kid, I enjoyed car camping with my parents, and part of the fun was camp kitchens, in our case, some invention of my father's, since Cabela's was unheard of, and not even the great Sears Roebuck or Montgomery Wards, was selling much of the stuff.  I liked the way the kitchen would spring to life like a flower from the storage areas of the car.  There we would be out in the middle of nowhere, sitting around a table that came from the shoebox type lid of my father's home designed car top carrier.

Back then, National Forests provided free campgrounds with stacks of free firewood, and clean outhouses, with lot's of campsites to choose from.  Many were located on the shores of lakes with sandy beaches for swimming.  There were auto camper guidebooks listing thousands of free campgrounds.  But the government cut funds for recreation, so that the likes of KOA with arcade games could spring up along the highways.  And the National Forests were converted into cheap resource extractions for capitalistic enterprise, and the money from campgrounds got diverted into building roads to extract those resources.  Millions of dollars were spend on resource extraction, but hundreds were saved for the taxpayers, by closing the campgrounds.

I'll stop now, because as always I tend to get sidetracked by the negatives.

Gawdzilla Sama

Awwww, I was hoping to see the camping scene from "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert". :(
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers