News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Plastic Model Building

Started by Solomon Zorn, June 11, 2014, 07:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: SGOS on May 19, 2016, 09:06:00 AM
Well Solomon, I haven't put a model together for ages.  I used to it all the time, mostly old bi-wing airplanes that I would hang from my bedroom ceiling, creating an international dog fight.  I didn't care what nation the planes actually represented, as long as that together they provided a feel of chaos in the sky.  Now I'm into boats, and you've got me thinking about a huge model of a 18th century three masted "ship of the line" that must have cost an adult friend a Hell of a lot of money just to buy the kit, and which was housed in a three and a half foot long glass case in his living room.  I have no idea what the kit cost, but I'd pay his daughter who inherited it a thousand dollars and feel like I stole it.  It must have taken a year to put together.  I'm not sure I have the patience to build it myself.  As I recall, it was made of wood.
When I was a kid, most models were cheap, and I built a ton of military models. WWI, WWII, and "modern" era fighters, bombers, helicopters, warships and tanks.

That boat, that's advertised, probably isn't nearly as lovingly detailed as your friend's.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

SGOS

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on May 19, 2016, 11:03:01 AM
That boat, that's advertised, probably isn't nearly as lovingly detailed as your friend's.

I was thinking the same thing, but you can't tell from the picture.  The most fascinating part of my friend's model was the detail.  You could study it for a long time and keep finding an odd coil of rope hanging on a peg, an over turned bucket next to a mop, or some interesting detail that doesn't add anything to the overall concept when viewing it from across the room.  But up close, those little details when discovered each provided a little thrill of excitement or at least a thrill of appreciation for the work of art.

SGOS

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on May 19, 2016, 11:03:01 AM
When I was a kid, most models were cheap

Which was the only reason we could afford them to begin with.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on May 19, 2016, 10:50:25 AM
You don't think it's might be considered a sub-genre, though? I usually think of it that way.

Yep, that's what I said. Star Wars is the subgenre's best example, while Star Trek is sci-fi. (I love them both, so I am not batting for any fandom, trust me, lol)

QuoteIt uses a fantastic type of science, but it still tries to give natural explanations for whatever technology or phenomenon it describes. Like how the Force is supposed to be an energy field influenced by microscopic organisms, present in greater numbers in Force-sensitive individuals. Much more believable than magic spells. I think that's why most people still refer to Star Wars, and the like, as Sci-Fi. :think: Interestingly, the term Sci-Fi was coined by Forrest J. Akerman, whose "Akermuseum," with all it's awesome movie props, was the inspiration for my apartment. Mine is the poor-man's version though, of course. If I get some batteries for my camera, I will post some more pictures.

You explained it yourself better. It's the fantasy bit that makes it a space opera and put it to the subgenre. Call me a pedant, but defining Star Wars as sci-fi is not correct, imo.

About the tendency to call it sci-fi in daily language, I think it is the result of fantasy genre becoming dominant over many others. Because as far as I observed new generations use the terms randomly according to their theme. Like if there is space and high tech in it, they want to call it a 'sci-fi' and if it has 'historical' or may be it is better to say certain 'primitive' characteristics, they want to call it fantasy. But neither science fiction, nor fantasy is that simple as you know. The nuances are lost -as it happens in many things- and in the end if it is not something from real life it becomes fantasy. The English term aside, science fiction is really old.

But if you ask how do you make the distinction? I'd tell you that using high tech gandets or scientific concepts are not enough to make a work sci-fi, that it should convey a certain understanding; a web of ideas that would open a new horizon. That's why I'm personally strict about it. I also believe that being born after Jules Vernes we all bear that responsibility -mad geek mode on, lol. After him, Asimov, Wells, Clarke just to name a few, it is just not fair to call Star Wars sci-fi. That never means putting it down. It means putting it where it belongs.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on May 19, 2016, 09:52:56 AM
I read a few of Buroughs' John Carter novels when I was a kid. In the 70's, had the comic book series as well. I once found an action figure of the four-armed green guy, in a used-toy resale bin, long before the Disney movie came out. Don't know if there was a series of them, or what. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've read a few reviews that were very positive.
I'll date myself--read the entire series while in HS in the mid 60's.  I never say any toys about the books, tho.  Saw the movie and I'd grade it a C--not what I had pictured in my mind for either John Carter or his Princess. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solomon Zorn

Here's another I just finished. Took about 12 hours, or so.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 19, 2016, 12:07:39 PMBut if you ask how do you make the distinction? I'd tell you that using high tech gandets or scientific concepts are not enough to make a work sci-fi, that it should convey a certain understanding; a web of ideas that would open a new horizon. That's why I'm personally strict about it. I also believe that being born after Jules Vernes we all bear that responsibility -mad geek mode on, lol. After him, Asimov, Wells, Clarke just to name a few, it is just not fair to call Star Wars sci-fi. That never means putting it down. It means putting it where it belongs.
I'm surprised that you include H.G. Wells. I've read a few of his works: The Invisible Man, The time Machine, The Island of Dr. Moreau, and The Days of the Comet. I usually consider him sci-fantasy.

For science fiction, I really like Robert Heinlein, Frederick Pohl, and Frank Herbert, in addition to the ones you named.

NicholasCatrow

I don't know about that...  :shucks:

This thing is giving me fits! I can't, with all my 47 years of experience, get the fucking edge straight! It's such a beautifully mastered kit, but it's a son-of-a-bitch to assemble. The parts are mostly warped with age. But it's a very rare kit, that was produced without a license around 2010. They got a Cease and Desist order almost immediately, and stopped making them.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: IThis thing is giving me fits! I can't, with all my 47 years of experience, get the fucking edge straight! It's such a beautifully mastered kit, but it's a son-of-a-bitch to assemble. The parts are mostly warped with age. But it's a very rare kit, that was produced without a license around 2010. They got a Cease and Desist order almost immediately, and stopped making them.

Quote from: NicholasCatrow on September 04, 2016, 03:14:51 PM
I don't know about that...:shucks:

About which part, Nicholas? The rarity? I don't know the numbers, but I think it was a pretty small production-run.

Mike Cl

This thing is giving me fits! I can't, with all my 47 years of experience, get the fucking edge straight! It's such a beautifully mastered kit, but it's a son-of-a-bitch to assemble. The parts are mostly warped with age. But it's a very rare kit, that was produced without a license around 2010. They got a Cease and Desist order almost immediately, and stopped making them.
So, Nicholas, do you have a Russian wife?  Was she a model???  Was she hard to put together?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

Did anybody else click on the 'shucks' guy?

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Solomon Zorn
I'm surprised that you include H.G. Wells. I've read a few of his works: The Invisible Man, The time Machine, The Island of Dr. Moreau, and The Days of the Comet. I usually consider him sci-fantasy.
Quote from: drunkenshoe
Yeah he is sci-fi.
If Invisible Man is in, I think, Star Wars is in, because they both use fantastic-science, rather than hard science, but explain it with natural cause and effect, rather than the supernatural.( BSG I would call sci-fantasy, because of the supernatural element.) In fact The Time Machine uses fantastic-science as well.

If I can change the subject, have you read any Robert Heinlein, Frederick Pohl, or Frank Herbert? I've probably read more Asimov, than any other science fiction author. Just a smattering of Clarke though.