News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why are you an atheist?

Started by randomvim, September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

QuoteI have no earthly way of understanding how what i said could have lead anyone to that response.

I have no earthly way of understanding why anyone would expect Baruch to make any sense at all.

LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 10, 2019, 01:42:07 PM
Meh, all that does is add another miserable person to the world.
I still have to fight feeling guilty about feeling good sometimes, and I haven't been a practicing RC for nearly 40 years. Catholic indoctrination goes deep.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 10, 2019, 04:06:38 PM
I have no earthly way of understanding how what i said could have lead anyone to that response.
How does saying 'i'm evil and i don't care' imply that i need to grow balls?

Not even going to touch THE belgium bit, because you are even more obsessed than i am.

Try to remember 1914, when Belgium stood against something.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 10, 2019, 08:58:03 AM
I sometimes feel like I should feel more guilt over being happy and well off, with so much misery in the world.
But truth be told, I can't muster more than apathy regarding that, 99% of the time.
I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not a good person. I don't concider myself one. I can't.
But I also realize that if 'Joe', a poor guy, had been born in my place and I in his, 'Joe' wouldn't have acted differently than I do now. Most likely.
I got lucky, in the lottery of life. Especially in regard to 90% of the world. But had that  balance of wealth and power been shifted differently, the world would probably still be very recognizeable. People operate the same, all over the world.
And I don't think there are many good people.

I don't think there are good or bad people, just like I don't think there are good or bad lions. Last week a lion killed a twenty-two-year-old intern at a wildlife center. The lion wasn't "bad" but did what lions do when they are in that situation. I see people the same way. Humans and lions are trying to get their needs met and in that ongoing struggle they're going to make decisions that have bad consequences for themselves and others around them. Everyone tries to make decisions that result in good consequences but in a complex world with competing needs and personal limitations we all make bad choices. Even when it comes to someone like Donald Trump I try to keep in mind he really is trying to make decisions that result in good consequences given his inherited attributes, personal experiences, current circumstances and obvious limitations.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 10, 2019, 08:44:12 PM
I don't think there are good or bad people, just like I don't think there are good or bad lions. Last week a lion killed a twenty-two-year-old intern at a wildlife center. The lion wasn't "bad" but did what lions do when they are in that situation. I see people the same way. Humans and lions are trying to get their needs met and in that ongoing struggle they're going to make decisions that have bad consequences for themselves and others around them. Everyone tries to make decisions that result in good consequences but in a complex world with competing needs and personal limitations we all make bad choices. Even when it comes to someone like Donald Trump I try to keep in mind he really is trying to make decisions that result in good consequences given his inherited attributes, personal experiences, current circumstances and obvious limitations.
You basically just summed Westworld Season 2 right there.  :P

But I basically agree.  People, by and large, are only trying to meet their needs and going about it in ways that seem sensible to them.  It doesn't always work out as intended and sometimes, it's not even thought out that well.  We're just passengers, after all.

GSOgymrat

I'll have to check out West World.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on January 10, 2019, 07:30:28 PM
Try to remember 1914, when Belgium stood against something.

Try again.
No metaphores.
No hyperbole.
If you tell me now; i was actually just talking out of my ass, i won't even think less of you.
But if you keep acting dumb, i will.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mr.Obvious

I don't agree with this, but i can respect it.

Baruch

That is why it isn't bad for Hitler to kill millions, or Kim Jong Un to nuke the US.  It is just atoms moving pseudorandomly.

People like some things and dislike other things.  That is what makes us human.  Are you trying to be trans-human?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 11, 2019, 12:44:23 AM
Try again.
No metaphores.
No hyperbole.
If you tell me now; i was actually just talking out of my ass, i won't even think less of you.
But if you keep acting dumb, i will.

Are you a European or a Belgian?  If a Belgian, then would you defend Belgium against Germany in 1914?  How is that hyperbole?  Hypothetical yes, hyperbole no.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on January 11, 2019, 12:51:00 PM
That is why it isn't bad for Hitler to kill millions, or Kim Jong Un to nuke the US.  It is just atoms moving pseudorandomly.

People like some things and dislike other things.  That is what makes us human.  Are you trying to be trans-human?

I'm not a moral relativist. It is bad that Hitler killed millions, genocide is always bad for humans, but it isn't bad because God said so or because Hitler was evil. Dismissing Hitler as evil creates psychological distance between people who do bad things and ourselves; it minimizes the fact that given the right circumstances there are many people who would do the same thing, or worse. Thinking of Hitler's actions as the result of evil, mental illness or sin ignores the psychological and social forces that resulted in this destructive behavior. Hilter didn't operate in a vacuum and his actions were not unprecedented.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 11, 2019, 01:47:34 PM
I'm not a moral relativist. It is bad that Hitler killed millions, genocide is always bad for humans, but it isn't bad because God said so or because Hitler was evil. Dismissing Hitler as evil creates psychological distance between people who do bad things and ourselves; it minimizes the fact that given the right circumstances there are many people who would do the same thing, or worse. Thinking of Hitler's actions as the result of evil, mental illness or sin ignores the psychological and social forces that resulted in this destructive behavior. Hilter didn't operate in a vacuum and his actions were not unprecedented.

Hitler and Stalin, the Sith always come in pairs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on January 09, 2019, 09:54:40 PM
That was the part, even when I was at my happiest and most committed as a Roman Catholic, that I could never square in my mind.  There was no way to justify making me guilty for a sin I didn't commit, and no explanation by any priest, even the "cool" ones in the 70s, ever made any sense to me -- and like as not, they would fall back on some version of "Well, it's a mystery" eventually.

And fuck knows Catholicism did its level best to make me feel guilty about everything else I did, short of breathing.

"Original Sin" is your Mom on her angriest day at your Dad.  And you are just a bystander...  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on January 11, 2019, 12:52:26 PM
Are you a European or a Belgian?  If a Belgian, then would you defend Belgium against Germany in 1914?  How is that hyperbole?  Hypothetical yes, hyperbole no.

Try again.