News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why are you an atheist?

Started by randomvim, September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on April 10, 2018, 04:35:26 PM
I recommend The Thirteenth Floor if you can find it.  It's an old movie, but well done.
I found it at youtube, watching it now.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 10, 2018, 06:09:17 PM
I found it at youtube, watching it now.
According to your time stamp, I assume it's over.  I hope you liked it.  It's somewhere in my favorite top ten, a least that's where I put it before Marvel entered the scene.  It may still be in my top ten, but it's a harder call now.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 10, 2018, 01:40:59 PM
Are you referring to the idea that we might be living in a simulation? Even if we are then whomever is running the simulation may themselves be living in a simulation, and so on ad infinitum. Or somewhere there  may be a rock bottom reality that is not being simulated, and is the base reality from which all other simulations are generated.

No, it is anime turtles all the way down ...

The Thirteenth Floor (I didn't watch it, just looked it up in Wiki) sounds like a parallel to the film noir holodeck simulation that Capt Picard likes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ7CGBM4JJo
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on April 10, 2018, 07:34:58 PM
According to your time stamp, I assume it's over.  I hope you liked it.  It's somewhere in my favorite top ten, a least that's where I put it before Marvel entered the scene.  It may still be in my top ten, but it's a harder call now.
Just finished it. Pretty good movie, indeed! The plot had some twists, the acting was great, and they all lived happily ever after. Well, except for the ones who died...

I really don't think it would bother me that much to find out we all live in a simulation. At least, I wouldn't go nuts about it, I'd just get on with life as it is. I would be curious about whomever it is that is running the sim, though.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on April 10, 2018, 07:47:10 PM
No, it is anime turtles all the way down ...

The Thirteenth Floor (I didn't watch it, just looked it up in Wiki) sounds like a parallel to the film noir holodeck simulation that Capt Picard likes.
I really enjoyed the Moriarty episodes. They were intriguing.
God Not Found

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 10, 2018, 08:02:38 PM
Just finished it. Pretty good movie, indeed! The plot had some twists, the acting was great, and they all lived happily ever after. Well, except for the ones who died...

I really don't think it would bother me that much to find out we all live in a simulation. At least, I wouldn't go nuts about it, I'd just get on with life as it is. I would be curious about whomever it is that is running the sim, though.

I could live in a simulation of that quality.  The one unnerving thing about it for me that it was obviously a powerful sim, and while they had a room of what looked like 100 refrigerator sized servers, they were entering DOS code in what looked like Commodore computers, but then it's an older film.  They probably weren't Commodores, but they sure looked dated.  I always chuckle over that part of the film.

aitm

It is the natural default position. If it so, why would it be so? If it was not so, why is it so?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

My experience with The Sims, is that their language is gibberish ... so we can't be a simulation ... though the politicians might be ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 10, 2018, 08:20:16 PM
I could live in a simulation of that quality.  The one unnerving thing about it for me that it was obviously a powerful sim, and while they had a room of what looked like 100 refrigerator sized servers, they were entering DOS code in what looked like Commodore computers, but then it's an older film.  They probably weren't Commodores, but they sure looked dated.  I always chuckle over that part of the film.

Amigas ... Commodore made inferior hardware ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

[T]hey all lived happily ever after. Well, except for the ones who died...
I am so stealing this for a story sometime...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Jason78

Quote from: SGOS on April 10, 2018, 08:20:16 PM

It doesn't matter if you're coding on a VT52 or an Commodore 64 if it's just a terminal to a big piece of iron.

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on April 11, 2018, 12:51:37 PM
I am so stealing this for a story sometime...
You can have it for tree fiddy...you got tree fiddy?
God Not Found

Unbeliever

My only concern about living in a simulation would be whether the equipment we're running on is good enough that we don't get unfortunate glitches. We don't need no stinkin' glitches!
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 11, 2018, 01:27:26 PM
My only concern about living in a simulation would be whether the equipment we're running on is good enough that we don't get unfortunate glitches. We don't need no stinkin' glitches!

Well, that pretty much proves we are a simulation.  Are you MS Bob?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Jason78 on April 11, 2018, 01:08:58 PM
It doesn't matter if you're coding on a VT52 or an Commodore 64 if it's just a terminal to a big piece of iron.
Oh, almighty Bob, I haven't had my hands on a VT52 terminal in 35 years...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan