News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why are you an atheist?

Started by randomvim, September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2017, 06:55:45 PM
Yes, the Japanese did pervert Buddhism during the recent Emperor era.  And they aren't the first Chakravartin to try that.  There was a Chinese emperor who tried to do that, with pacifism (not militarism) and failed spectacularly.  Well if you see everything as war (class struggle is a war) ... then every literature is war literature.

The point of the Gita ... is bhakti worship of the Hindu gods, particularly Lord Krishna.  This is a revolution (you like those) against the upper classes.  Messianic Judaism was a revolt against the Jewish upper classes too.  Buddhism was middle class revolt, like the Americans in 1776.  Basically Buddhism was the revolt of the Kshatriyas against the Brahmins.  Bhakti Hinduism is the revolt of the Sudras ... against both.  But Gandhi's revolt of the Untouchables, was successfully suppressed thru assassination.  Eventually Buddhism failed, when the Kshatriyas lost power.  That and Islamic invasion of India gave the Indians something else to worry about ;-)  Messianic Judaism was the revolt of the Am Ha-Aretz ... against the Tzaddukim and the Parushim ... who jointly ruled Judea from the beginning of the Roman occupation forward.  If you are going to mess with history, the details are important ;-)
Revolutions require war so you can weaponize a religion, any religion, even Jainism, where the believers essentially start committing suicide so as not to step on a bug. ;)  And the Hindu RSS assassinated Gandhi--because they are Hindu Nationalist Nazi inspired warriors.

And, history:

QuoteGita (the “Song of God”)......began life, sometime between the third century BC and the third century CE, as an epic argument persuading a warrior to engage in a battle, indeed, a particularly brutal, lawless, internecine war.
   http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2014/12/04/war-and-peace-bhagavad-gita/
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Hydra009

Quote from: Sorginak on March 11, 2017, 07:21:08 PMAfter thousands of years of mythology, would there not be some sort of evidence for the supernatural?  Considering there is no evidence, it is more logical to assume there is nothing supernatural. 

Supernaturalism is nothing than mere imaginative fancy.

Reason and logic informs us after thousands of years of faith based ignorance that religious faith is useless.
That's essentially my position.

Let's assume for a moment that there is no such thing as a God.  What would that sort of world look like?  There'd be no miracles, no ghosts, no angels, no heaven, no hell.  Sure, there might be tales of supernatural stuff and some people would swear up and down that they're real, but you'd never be able to verify any of it.  Long on certitude, short on evidence, each and every time.

Now let's assume that a God exists.  Presumably, such a God's presence would be self-evident.  You'd meet people who really could walk on water, cure disease, part the sea, raise the dead, etc.  You could talk to God and get an actual reply.  The existence of God wouldn't be an open question, it'd be obvious to all.

Which one is more like our world?

Baruch

As a demigod, it is obvious to me.  Caligula wanted to make his horse, consul of Rome.  Misidentification on his part perhaps?  Most things most people say are unconscious dogmas.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

I have read the monotheistic books that is claimed the God... Oh no.. My possible God couldn't be that simple and illogical... All they are just fairy tales...

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 15, 2017, 09:10:19 PM
Let's assume for a moment that there is no such thing as a God.  What would that sort of world look like?  There'd be no miracles, no ghosts, no angels, no heaven, no hell.  Sure, there might be tales of supernatural stuff and some people would swear up and down that they're real, but you'd never be able to verify any of it.  Long on certitude, short on evidence, each and every time.
That thought is so obvious to me.  Our personal environment stunningly resembles a godless reality, rather than a reality that defies natural law and overflows with examples of heavenly love and the presence of a deity.

Cavebear

Quote from: etienne on March 14, 2017, 02:35:56 PM
It IS anti if the Theists are trying to oppress yo azz and or if you just want to take the initiative in tearing down their sand castles in the sky.

You are missing the point.  "Atheism" is simply "not theistic".  Mostly, I just don't CARE about their ideas.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on March 31, 2017, 05:08:00 AM
You are missing the point.  "Atheism" is simply "not theistic".  Mostly, I just don't CARE about their ideas.
Yeah, that's how I basically see it. 

But theists simply will not leave the rest of society alone.  They INSIST making all of us act and think as they do.  In that respect, I oppose what they believe.  And I'd love to see all religions torn to shreds and left bleeding to death on the ground.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 31, 2017, 01:19:04 PM
Yeah, that's how I basically see it. 

But theists simply will not leave the rest of society alone.  They INSIST making all of us act and think as they do.  In that respect, I oppose what they believe.  And I'd love to see all religions torn to shreds and left bleeding to death on the ground.

Please don't hold your anger in ... I would hate for you to have an aneurism ;-(  Right now, I would burn every politician in Hell.  But I will feel better in the morning.  I hope you will too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on March 31, 2017, 06:22:09 PM
Please don't hold your anger in ... I would hate for you to have an aneurism ;-(  Right now, I would burn every politician in Hell.  But I will feel better in the morning.  I hope you will too.
Let me light the hell fire for the politicians for you--and me! :)  I fully realize my anger toward religion is only a pipe-dream anger.  I don't get aneurisms from that stuff.  Religion will be here long, long, after I'm gone and forgotten. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AllPurposeAtheist

It's much easier to spell than Bumbling Dork That Believes In A Magic Man In The Sky.
Otherwise I'd go to church every Sunday.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

surreptitious57

I am an atheist because I see no evidence to support the truth claims of theism. With respect to the existence of God
The three most common justifications are personal belief and arguments from emotion and popularity. None of which
require evidence so the truth claim remains unsubstantiated. I use evidence and proof to determine the validity of all
truth claims. Any that has none can be rejected. This is why I reject all God hypotheses [ as there is more than one ]
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

Cavebear

Quote from: surreptitious57 on April 02, 2017, 10:58:14 PM
I am an atheist because I see no evidence to support the truth claims of theism. With respect to the existence of God
The three most common justifications are personal belief and arguments from emotion and popularity. None of which
require evidence so the truth claim remains unsubstantiated. I use evidence and proof to determine the validity of all
truth claims. Any that has none can be rejected. This is why I reject all God hypotheses [ as there is more than one ]

The "All In" with you there.

Alexmahone

I used to be a Christian until age 14. I'm an atheist mainly because I don't want to waste half my Sundays going to church.

Gawdzilla Sama

Born that way, the same as you.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Alexmahone on March 14, 2018, 02:37:50 PM
I used to be a Christian until age 14. I'm an atheist mainly because I don't want to waste half my Sundays going to church.

Wasting a Sunday (or any other day) is never good.  But do you have any other reasons for considering yourself an atheist?