Author Topic: why are you an atheist?  (Read 33877 times)

Re: why are you an atheist?
« Reply #315 on: September 27, 2018, 11:39:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I quite agree soldier--why hate a fiction??  I prefer to call myself a non-believer and not an atheist.  When I use that label too many theists think I am simply angry at their god.  How can I be angry or hate something that does not exist?

Actually there mustn't be a label like "atheist"...
Why we define ourselves as "counter-something"...?
People are born not believing something. They later get adjectives...
If the people who are not engineers say themselves " non- engineer" etc... This Would be funny...

Offline Hydra009

« Reply #316 on: September 28, 2018, 12:54:20 PM »
Actually there mustn't be a label like "atheist"...
Lots of things are defined that way, typically when the thing they're different from is pretty common.  It's not necessarily a bad thing.

Why we define ourselves as "counter-something"...?
You're thinking anti-.  The a- in atheist is just a negation along the lines of not/without.

Offline Draconic Aiur

« Reply #317 on: September 28, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »
a- adds negative meaning to the root word.
so, etimologically thinking, i too think of atheizm as being with out theizm.

why i hate a deity that does not exist?

negatif ateists dont comment on whether a god exists. they assert that they simply dont know whethet it exists or not. but pozitif ateists claim there cant be and is not a deity absolutly.

Oh "negative" atheist know their is no god and we look at religious people like their insane and stupid.

Offline Hydra009

« Reply #318 on: September 28, 2018, 01:55:46 PM »
Oh "negative" atheist know their is no god and we look at religious people like their insane and stupid.
Insane is such a strong word.  I perceive it more as culturally-ingrained/indoctrinated beliefs that fly in the face of reality, which incidentally, covers a lot of politics as well as religion.

I don't consider these people to be deranged or retarded or anything.  Just taught a bunch of stuff that isn't very rational and doesn't make much sense at an extremely young age and (barring some sort of paradigm shift) more or less just coasts from there.

« Reply #319 on: September 28, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
Many people think with their emotions rather than their reason. They simply believe what they've been told because they trust those who told it to them. It's often very difficult to discover that those you trust can't always be trusted, so many people will resist the truth of it. It can be an emotional trauma, which some people just can't cope with, so they bury any doubts they may have, assuming that the problem is their own fault. And when eternal damnation is involved, doubt can be a very scary thing.
"The Republicans went from Abraham Lincoln to Sarah Palin to Donald Trump. No wonder they don't believe in evolution."
Any Borowitz

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #320 on: October 01, 2018, 10:07:47 AM »

negatif ateists dont comment on whether a god exists. they assert that they simply dont know whethet it exists or not. but pozitif ateists claim there cant be and is not a deity absolutly.

If you knew me better, I would be insulted.  But you don't so I am not.

A large part of my life has been explaining what "atheist" means.  I ALWAYS explain it as "the greek A", meaning "not" and "theist" meaning "a structured belief in a deity".  I've been doing that here and there for about 55 years now.  So please disabuse yourself of any false notions about what I know about atheism.

But, as I said, you seemily don't know me and I can be a bit tolerant of that.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

« Reply #321 on: October 09, 2018, 03:33:18 PM »

A large part of my life has been explaining what "atheist" means.  I ALWAYS explain it as "the greek A", meaning "not" and "theist" meaning "a structured belief in a deity".  I've been doing that here and there for about 55 years now.  So please disabuse yourself of any false notions about what I know about atheism.

Please do not be insulted by me or i will feel myself very sad ; )

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #322 on: October 10, 2018, 01:41:38 AM »

Please do not be insulted by me or i will feel myself very sad ; )

I think you missed replying...

« Reply #323 on: October 11, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »

You seem to be conflating two different definitions of the word "negative." The A in atheism is "negative" in the sense that it is absent. It is not "negative" in the sense that it is in aggressive opposition. If you do not believe in any gods, you are an atheist. If you choose to label yourself an agnostic as opposed to an anti-theist, that's fine, but it's still a form of atheism. I personally do not like the word agnostic because it makes one sound uncertain, like a fence sitter, while I'm secure in my unbelief. I don't need to say "I don't know," because there is not evidence for the existence of gods. That's the theist's responsibility. And until theists prove their claims, I will take what should be the logical default position of, "There are no gods."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #324 on: October 14, 2018, 06:57:14 AM »
You seem to be conflating two different definitions of the word "negative." The A in atheism is "negative" in the sense that it is absent. It is not "negative" in the sense that it is in aggressive opposition. If you do not believe in any gods, you are an atheist. If you choose to label yourself an agnostic as opposed to an anti-theist, that's fine, but it's still a form of atheism. I personally do not like the word agnostic because it makes one sound uncertain, like a fence sitter, while I'm secure in my unbelief. I don't need to say "I don't know," because there is not evidence for the existence of gods. That's the theist's responsibility. And until theists prove their claims, I will take what should be the logical default position of, "There are no gods."

I agree about "a theism".  I also agree about agnostic suggesting "fence-sitting".  I do not do that either.  As with you, if there is no evidence of the claim of a deity, I consider it a null argument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk